Aston Villa v Fulham Match Thread - Sun 4 April - 4.30pm - Sky | Page 33 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Fulham Match Thread - Sun 4 April - 4.30pm - Sky

I thought Deano was saying it's been a long season for all teams, after all there have been some strange results and having watched nearly all of the matches lately apart from Man City (who have a huge squad and can field two international teams) all the other teams have been fairly average .Man Utd are second 11 points ahead of 5th place and I thought last night they were bang average and haven't been that good all season .

I don't think any of us can appreciate the physical toll that the last 2 seasons have taken out of the players.

I thought Deano was saying it's been a long season for all teams, after all there have been some strange results and having watched nearly all of the matches lately apart from Man City (who have a huge squad and can field two international teams) all the other teams have been fairly average .Man Utd are second 11 points ahead of 5th place and I thought last night they were bang average and haven't been that good all season .

I don't think any of us can appreciate the physical toll that the last 2 seasons have taken out of the players.
Yes,Sir Dennis, last seasons home opener with the Cherries was a wake up for we fans, management and players. Three years in the Championship and l,for one,had forgotten the pace,physicality and ruthlessness of the Premier League. We look more at the level required but another key close season ahead. If we can match the quality of this season's recruitment,then we will progress again.

The problem is, you’ve got a spilt camp, you have those that blame the management for our poor displays (like me) and then you have those who blame the players (that would also be the vast majority) the only difference being in my eyes is, those who choose to blame Smith get ridiculed whenever he pulls one out the hat after 75 mins without a shot on targett, and those who rip the likes of Trez and Bert to pieces for 90mins don’t.
it’s childish at best.
Honestly, I'll merrily take the piss out of both.

I blame the circumstances this season is being played in. All the crazy results speaks to a lack of quality, lack of pre-season, crazy schedule, squads recovering from respiratory illness, and people generally living in pretty weird circumstances. Apart from Man City, which teams really look consistent and totally in control of their own destiny?

Don't get me wrong, the footy has been a godsend but this season needs a big fat asterisk next to it in the history books.

As for my sarcasm, you'll have to forgive me - it's an affliction.

Snap.

One thing that has barely received a mention..... the penalty that was over-ruled by VAR at the end of the first half. Two things for me: (1) Why, when the ref went to the monitor was he only shown the one camera angle, which just happened to be the only angle that didn't clearly show Watkins got a touch before their defender. And (2) Why was the foul on McGinn seconds earlier not included, when clearly it was a foul and the ref missed it (ie clear and obvious error).
Shows the pure idiocy of VAR. If a penalty had stood, the only argument would have been, which foul was it given for..... And it shows the bias of the VAR system in that they selected the best/only clip that would cause the ref to overturn his original decision.

One thing that has barely received a mention..... the penalty that was over-ruled by VAR at the end of the first half. Two things for me: (1) Why, when the ref went to the monitor was he only shown the one camera angle, which just happened to be the only angle that didn't clearly show Watkins got a touch before their defender. And (2) Why was the foul on McGinn seconds earlier not included, when clearly it was a foul and the ref missed it (ie clear and obvious error).
Shows the pure idiocy of VAR. If a penalty had stood, the only argument would have been, which foul was it given for..... And it shows the bias of the VAR system in that they selected the best/only clip that would cause the ref to overturn his original decision.
Totally forgot the VAR pen incident. Think I'd slipped into a coma by this point. That first half was a tough watch

Give me a chance! lol

Completely agree with both GM and the former ref, I couldn’t believe VAR only shown the replay that stood in the favour of the defender, and again didn’t go back to the McGinn incident, It’s no wonder players like Grealish go down so often when the ref and VAR struggle to get the correct decision, an kind of need help by the player themselves to make it a bit more obvious.

About the second one. Their player just about got a toe-poke on the ball. But he clearly brought Ollie down when he was still in a dangerous position. Isn't that a foul?
Their player did get a touch, correct. However, when they started showing multiple replays on my TV feed, they showed three different angles. On two of them, you can see Watkins get a touch and the ball moves very slightly before the defender comes in and pokes the ball while simultaneously making contact with Watkins. However, the view that Madley kept repeatedly seeing was from behind and favoured the defender. Absolutely corrupt. Even if there was any question of whether or not it was a foul, which clearly there was doubt, then according to the laws it should not have been overturned as it was not clear and obvious.

Just watched the highlights on villatv. If you want to know why Mitrovic is not a regular starter and playing at a lower level, just look at our first and third goals. Stands and watches Mings make his run for the first goal, doesn't even attempt to track him; then for our third gives the ball away with a sloppy/lazy touch then stands and moans.

At the end of the day we were poor and got three points, when Man City and Liverpool are poor and get three points "Its the stuff of fucking Champions"
Playing badly and coming away with the points is something we have not been good for a few years now, play crap and win! Ill take it every day of the week.

Anyone offered anyone of us 10th or even 14th and safe with 8 games to go we would of taken their hand off, so although we did not look like Barca or Real we won, we are safe and we are building.

About the second one. Their player just about got a toe-poke on the ball. But he clearly brought Ollie down when he was still in a dangerous position. Isn't that a foul?
Exactly. Many times during matches a player just about wins the ball, but cleans out the opponent in the process (as happened to Ollie) and its given as a free kick.