Aston Villa v Fulham Match Thread - Sun 4 April - 4.30pm - Sky | Page 32 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Fulham Match Thread - Sun 4 April - 4.30pm - Sky

If you ignore our three goals, we lost to Fulham, which is relegation form.
75 mins without a shot on target at home (2nd game running) to relegation fodder and you’re having a pop at those unhappy with the shite that’s been served up! Take a bow son.

Said it before and often, There is a very useful player in Davis a real handful and young and hungry. Keeping him fit is the biggest challenge
I am with you here Silhill. I was delighted when I saw he was coming on and I said to Mrs C&BB that we would win the game. He took the pressure of Ollie and Smith was telling Ollie to play wider. He bullied their brick shithouse centre backs and forced mistakes. His cross for the second goal was precise and totally intended as he looked up to see where Trez was. He needs to start against the Plop and bully their fragile backline into submission and create space for Ollie to operate as the poacher, which is his natural game. If Jack is back (and a big if) then play him wide left and Ollie wide right and keep Traore on the bench as an impact sub along with Trez. Davis doesn't score perhaps but his all round game always helps and I feel that once he gets a goal, his confidence will go up another notch.

75 mins without a shot on target at home (2nd game running) to relegation fodder and you’re having a pop at those unhappy with the shite that’s been served up! Take a bow son.
It was just a bit of fun. I shouldn't make jokes when we've just been totally shamed by a 3-1 victory.

Are they unmotivated because they have secured their bonuses for survival this season? The same system was delivering in the first half of the season.
it was only delivering because grealish was playing and was unstoppable but even jacks last two games he was being marked out of the game and doubled up on and that stopped our attacks and we just dont know how to play well without him as our outlet
if and when he does come back smith needs to box cleaver with him and let him have a free role and play where he wants so he will be hard to mark

I just do not get the lack of quality, effort, err.. don't know what, by both teams. It is just awful
iv been saying for ages that we lack real quality in the final 3rd but thats what happens when they build a team and a system around one player (jack)
and its quite sad to think that since we came up we have spent close to £250 million and still have very little quality . i think we need to put one or two seasoned prem players in there i also think that smith needs to change a formation during a match if the one he is playing is non affective im not too sure what formation we finished with yesterday but we looked more of a threat in those last 20 minutes than we have since jack got injured and we need to start with the same side against liverpool
davies did well and was a bully up front and he dont need to score loads of goals to be a good centre forward as long as he is making things happen like heskey did

Any thoughts on Douglas Luiz’ contribution? I feel he’s lost a bit lately. He’s giving a lot of fouls away and his contribution to forward play seems to have fallen away. He played a couple of those blind passes that lost us possession and put us under pressure last season. I think he’s a good player but he doesn’t seem as effective as he was. Perhaps he’s suffering from missing Jack’s influence.

Any thoughts on Douglas Luiz’ contribution? I feel he’s lost a bit lately. He’s giving a lot of fouls away and his contribution to forward play seems to have fallen away. He played a couple of those blind passes that lost us possession and put us under pressure last season. I think he’s a good player but he doesn’t seem as effective as he was. Perhaps he’s suffering from missing Jack’s influence.

No doubt he is struggling big time. I would say some of his fouls though have been because his team mates have lost the ball needlessly and he has had to cover. Certainly the booking yesterday was like that.

However, no doubt whatsoever he is a player and it would be a shambles to do anything else but keep going with him. He was coveted by Pep, has been picked for the Brazil squad and has played superb for us at times . The amount we have let go in the past that showed far less for us yet thrived elsewhere should show those that ‘wouldn’t lose sleep‘ if Luiz left a lesson really.

I will keep saying this but I really do think the whole midfield benefits from Marv sitting at the base. Luiz included.

For me , he's had a poor season and gone backwards . He looks unhappy and disinterested. Maybe it's the position he's being asked to play , or maybe it's the realisation his move to city won't be happening, maybe he just isn't as good as we'd hoped

Hope Citeh come in with a £30m buy back.

It was just a bit of fun. I shouldn't make jokes when we've just been totally shamed by a 3-1 victory.
The problem is, you’ve got a spilt camp, you have those that blame the management for our poor displays (like me) and then you have those who blame the players (that would also be the vast majority) the only difference being in my eyes is, those who choose to blame Smith get ridiculed whenever he pulls one out the hat after 75 mins without a shot on targett, and those who rip the likes of Trez and Bert to pieces for 90mins don’t.
it’s childish at best.

We saw yesterday what can happen if you change things early enough. This has been my biggest criticism of Smith, not changing things early enough. How many times has he changed things with only a few minutes left on the clock and not given the subs time to get into the game.

I hope yesterday was a turning point.

We saw yesterday what can happen if you change things early enough. This has been my biggest criticism of Smith, not changing things early enough. How many times has he changed things with only a few minutes left on the clock and not given the subs time to get into the game.

I hope yesterday was a turning point.
We have the luxury of 9 competitive games now where we can try a few ideas out. For 77 mins yesterday it looked like they were on the beach which is shockingly poor. I didn't warm to Smiths post match moaning aswell about it being a long hard season !! If that is the vibe he is conveying into the dressing room then it's no surprise the players are already on the sun loungers

I am with you here Silhill. I was delighted when I saw he was coming on and I said to Mrs C&BB that we would win the game. He took the pressure of Ollie and Smith was telling Ollie to play wider. He bullied their brick shithouse centre backs and forced mistakes. His cross for the second goal was precise and totally intended as he looked up to see where Trez was. He needs to start against the Plop and bully their fragile backline into submission and create space for Ollie to operate as the poacher, which is his natural game. If Jack is back (and a big if) then play him wide left and Ollie wide right and keep Traore on the bench as an impact sub along with Trez. Davis doesn't score perhaps but his all round game always helps and I feel that once he gets a goal, his confidence will go up another notch.

Some have said that Dean is learning. The Liverpool game will confirm if that is the case or not as I hope he has learnt that KD and Ollie need to play together from the start.

We have the luxury of 9 competitive games now where we can try a few ideas out. For 77 mins yesterday it looked like they were on the beach which is shockingly poor. I didn't warm to Smiths post match moaning aswell about it being a long hard season !! If that is the vibe he is conveying into the dressing room then it's no surprise the players are already on the sun loungers

Did not listen to the interview, but if that is what he said, then there is no use listening to his interviews as it will mostly or always be full of excuses.

Did not listen to the interview, but if that is what he said, then there is no use listening to his interviews as it will mostly or always be full of excuses.
Souness in fairness picked it up and highlighted we've had no cup runs, no Europe etc and it's been similar for everyone and Smith should not be lamenting a "long hard season". Souness then went on to big up Mings for his performance after the mistake which again I thought was spot on. He showed leadership to correct his error.

I think Smith was trying to say ( and not doing a very good job) that it was hard due to covid and the way last season was delayed and the shorter break into this season .All the covid protocols and the condensed nature of the season and of course the outbreak at the club. I can see his point around this tbh.

Davis showed a spark when he came on vs Spurs. I think something has clicked with him. Then yesterday he was great. Play him as a winger IMO ...I don't want Ollie out of the box and Davis shouldn't have the pressure of being seen as a CF.

Jack on the left, Davis on the right. Would his contribution be any less than any of Trez, Bert or Anwar recently. The one caveat being that Trez is now going to get a goal a game like last April!! But he can do that as a super sub...

I think Smith was trying to say ( and not doing a very good job) that it was hard due to covid and the way last season was delayed and the shorter break into this season .All the covid protocols and the condensed nature of the season and of course the outbreak at the club. I can see his point around this tbh.
Yeah I get that bit , but it came across more - be glad when the seasons over we all need a break , when in fact there's a lot to play for

Yeah I get that bit , but it came across more - be glad when the seasons over we all need a break , when in fact there's a lot to play for
Agreed, with our game in hand on the top 5 we could be 2 pts off a European place, which makes it even more annoying that the coaches seem to have sat on their hands (so to speak) for so long.