The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 380 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think a good start would be 2 up front, over lapping fullbacks, drop somebody back as cover, they have got nothing to lose, it eases the burden on the missing midfield, and credit me if they find the net, there usual method is not working, , its not rocket science, if you see somebody with a clip board writing diagrams,, its a certain they havent a clue, seanie

I can't think of a single team (happy to be told) who play two up front these days.

I wouldn't mind an out and out striker and Ollie in a freer role from the left, where I believe (I don't know for fact) he did for Brentford. OR have Davis in some advanced in the hole role, to batter defences and get the ball to Ollie.

I do think it is up to Smith and his nicely assembled backroom team, to come up with something now, as doing the same thing isn't working at present.

I do think they have a quality manager who is making a difference.

He is an excellent manager with a great record, and he has definitely brought them on a level, and I'm sure they will get better.

But as I mentioned previously, some of his results have not been good. Beaten twice by Newcastle, taken 0 points from Burnley, beaten at home by Fulham etc.

I do genuinely wonder how long it would take fans to lose patience even with someone like Ancellotti at the helm.

Yet there's only 5 points between us with 10 games to play.

Funny enough , looking at the league table last night amid the gloom I saw how close Everton are to us which surprised me .
Ancelotti, Richarlison, Dacoure, Sigurdsson, James, Gomes, Allan. In theory real quality above us. To get where we are we have over achieved, which I think I have said before .

Funny enough , looking at the league table last night amid the gloom I saw how close Everton are to us which surprised me .
Ancelotti, Richarlison, Dacoure, Sigurdsson, James, Gomes, Allan. In theory real quality above us. To get where we are we have over achieved, which I think I have said before .
Funny old game. And Palace are only 4 points behind us.

Should I be surprised when things aren't going well and the coach starts talking about the players, quality and squad depth as the key driver of performances and results?

Hmmm, he seemed very happy with the squad (not the only one) when the results were going our way pre Christmas.

Yes, good counter argument. I wasn't taking a position on this, was just showing the quote.

there is sense in what he is saying, whether he is in charge, or someone else, we have survived, consolidated, then you hope to push on?

And hence now, it seems such a fall. We were playing such sexy football so now we aren't, it seems depressing. But if that is a glimpse of where we are heading, then cool. If not... well, I'm not crying, you're crying...!

Yes I appreciate that. As you know I was pointing out how convenient and the timing of Deano's wisdom and truisms when its his leadership facing criticism over form, poor game management, not changing things. Its subtle but not hard to see his motives is it?

If that's what you want to read into it, so be it. I don't. I reckon DS says what he thinks, period. But I never put much value on what managers say after matches, anyway; most of them hate the interview.

Is this the Everton thread, Everton that hasn't won anything since 1995, Everton who have been ever-present top flight since 1954 that Everton, not for me Jeff

Our defence has been good all season. Ollie is a decent Prem striker given the right service. It's all about midfield. I notice our form really depends on McGinn and Doug taking charge - which they haven't for weeks. Sanson looks OK but we still need to beef up the middle and stop getting overrun. I think we all know that our wingers can't win games alone - Trez in particular is no match winner and AEG/Bertie are great only in flashes. Forget Barkley - we need Deano and co to make the next step up

Our defence has been good all season. Ollie is a decent Prem striker given the right service. It's all about midfield. I notice our form really depends on McGinn and Doug taking charge - which they haven't for weeks. Sanson looks OK but we still need to beef up the middle and stop getting overrun. I think we all know that our wingers can't win games alone - Trez in particular is no match winner and AEG/Bertie are great only in flashes. Forget Barkley - we need Deano and co to make the next step up

Yeah, a neutral whatsapped me yesterday saying just that, 'where are your midfield'.

And that is something that we can invest in obviously. Just hope it isn't Barkley, unless someone can get his head screwed on. I'm a big believer a lot of this 'comes from within' though.

We need to spend big on a centre mid who can actually create chances and find a much better solution out right as well. Traore isn't the answer but will be a good sub/ rotation option.

At the start of the season I said with the money spent 10th place would be a great achievement. However the way things are going that now looks out of the question and the likes of Leeds and Palace could well finish above us. That in my opinion is unacceptable.

Dean has built a team and a system around jack freakish and now he is injured we look lost
I guess thats what happens when you rely on one player we have just become far too easy to play against because almost everything comes from the wings and nothing down the middle cant remember the last time we built up an attack through the middle and got a shot on target

Status
Not open for further replies.