The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 379 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we finished above 12th, and if the owners - which I am sure they will - are going to invest more in the summer, then I don't see any changes.

I only ever have the 'manager out' thing (well, usually) when I can see a clear path to a better manager. I would have grabbed, if possible, Poch. He's not an option now.

And I still can't argue with the logic that Smith got us up (I don't go for the cup run part, that was two byes) and although they set their target higher (their fault not mine they said just survival wasn't good enough) he kept us up and this year has shown clear improvement.

It is worrying at the moment but as said, as long as we are there or there about, 12th or above, it is massive progress on last season.

Dean Smith:

"I always said, the first year in the Premier League is a tough year. The second year, you can have a real strong starting XI. But in the third year you are looking to grow your squad depth, and improve on that starting XI."

The above pretty much sums up what many of us are thinking and as I put in an earlier post with more investment in the summer Deano will next season have to prove he’s capable of taking the club further. He knows that, he’s not daft.
As for Rafa Benitez being needed next year.....no thanks. Those wanting Smith sacked at the end of this season will be the same voices who were demanding his sacking when we went through a difficult period in Feb 2019 and Feb 2020. Subsequent events have shown they were wrong then and I wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled off a hat trick by being proved wrong now. And that’s not burying my head in the sand. This season won’t be defined by 12 games however much we’re struggling at present. Purslow and the owners will, I’m sure like most of us, look at the season as a whole and make their judgement based on 38 games, not 12 and where we are now compared to 12 months ago. I’m still not convinced Deano will lead us to where we all want to be but I still feel he’s earnt the right to be given a fair crack of the whip to prove he can do so.

If the owners are serious about competing with the top 6 then Smith will have to go in the summer and a higher calibre individual appointed.

Why? Is it because he's English? A Villa fan? And great managers don't have that sort of background? Who is this higher calibre individual? Ancelotti is a top manager but it's taking him years not months to build up Everton.

You can only judge a manager by the progress they make, usually over a number of seasons. So far Dean is on the upward path; this season will be noticeably better than last season, which was better than the season before. Be patient and see where he takes us. All teams have a period of slump and it alone is not a reason for sacking a manager.

I think to be honest in my time as a Villan I don't recall any great managers joining us, perhaps BFR, Managers like Sir Ron, GT, Brian Little, Gregory, were either Villa connected or they made their names at Villa Park like Ron and later GT being poached by England, we generally don't do big names who have failed elsewhere, we do managers who have been successful at smaller clubs

The lack of quality into the box is the biggest concern. Granted we really do not have anyone in central midfield who can thread a ball through but the crossing is a complete and utter disgrace, not good enough from the wingers and fullbacks.

The delivery was a fucking joke last night.

Why? Is it because he's English? A Villa fan? And great managers don't have that sort of background? Who is this higher calibre individual? Ancelotti is a top manager but it's taking him years not months to build up Everton.

You can only judge a manager by the progress they make, usually over a number of seasons. So far Dean is on the upward path; this season will be noticeably better than last season, which was better than the season before. Be patient and see where he takes us. All teams have a period of slump and it alone is not a reason for sacking a manager.
Ancellotti has been at Everton just over a year.
There's evidence of what a high calibre manager brings to the table

The lack of quality into the box is the biggest concern. Granted we really do not have anyone in central midfield who can thread a ball through but the crossing is a complete and utter disgrace, not good enough from the wingers and fullbacks.

The delivery was a fucking joke last night.

I agree last night it was pretty bad. I like Targett, but he consistently over-hit his crosses.

I think it's something we can work on. Maybe the break will help sort things out.

Ancellotti has been at Everton just over a year.
There's evidence of what a high calibre manager brings to the table

Like what, losing 0-2 at home to Newcastle?

I wonder how much patience there would be with someone like Ancellotti if he was getting some of the results he has been getting with Everton.

But Everton arent on a horrendous run like us.
Bet the net spends aren't miles apart either

They have spent half a billion. I don't think it is a true comparison , considering how long Everton have been in the PL compared to us starting with a new team one season ago.

Yup, have to agree, Everton and Villa aren't good comparisons at the moment. They are easy to compare as a club that have potential and never realise it. They are a similar stature (albeit, Goodison Park is a shite stadium compared to our magestic stadium) but they have been ever presents (still sad we lost that status) and spent a bomb. We did have to totally re-build and one hopes that isn't over yet.

I do think they have a quality manager who is making a difference.

I'm sure I have read somewhere they have spent half a billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.