Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky

Leeds fans have a point about Watkins watching him tonight, what's that another 8 games without a goal, he's not even missing chances now.

I just don‘t really see it. Never have but will give him time . I think its laughable he is in the England squad tbh, but as I said in the week his inclusion is more to do with the scarcity of options.

International class?. Kane .That’s international class.

We have degenerated into a poor side and are probably playing the worst football in the league. What's worse, we are so predictable. Easy to setup for and carry no threat in the last 3rd. We are in big trouble next year if we don't find a way to turn this around.

You make a valid point regarding us being predictable and easy to nullify but to suggest we play the ‘worst football in the league’ is ridiculous. Off the top of my head Newcastle, Palace, Sheff Utd, Baggies, Wolves, Burnley, Southampton are far worse.

Not at the moment no . But its a long season and you have peaks and troughs.

Right now it looks like the next peak is a million miles away ! Defensively we are now going in the unintended direction by conceding goals to sides like Newcastle, Sheff and the worst performing Spurs side.

One observation I would make is that we have, worryingly, re-discovered the knack of shooting ourselves in the foot.

There doesn't have to be a side of the fence. There is no fitting in with an agenda or what argument people are having.

Tonight was piss poor. I would doubt Smith would disagree with that.

We are on a bad run. That is just fact isn't it?

Tonight, I thought, Spurs were average, we were worse. They won't have an easier game this season and that, when their confidence was low.

In over 20 years I've never not known a side of the fence when it comes to manager/players.

There's the camp that are optimistic.
There's the camp who shit themselves at the team sheet.
There's the camp who only look at the last five fixtures to define the past and the future.
There's the camp who think 'unknown 18 year old in the reserves is the new great saviour.

And so on.

We're in woeful form, but that's to be expected with a proper squad of about 14 players. Nobody was calling for Europe ahead of the season, so quite why some (mainly Twitter) are calling for players to be sold or the manager to be sacked for basically achieving what we all agreed would be progress is beyond me.

But just as you don't expect the optimistic camp to be quiet when we lose, it would be nice if the pessimistic camp weren't quiet when we did win. I see Den's point. It's become way too much about point scoring.

Again this isn't new, but it's certainly trite and pathetic. It's one thing calling out posters for being contradictory - which is normal as we all post on the fly and get caught out at points - but some posts lately have been a disgrace in my humble, given the barbs and jibes that are point scoring based, rather than actual opinion.

I actually thought we were better again tonight, despite how poor we were. Spurs weren't in 3rd gear or unconfident. That is their normal level but tonight they scored (and then Mike Dean got his obligatory goal).

Right now it looks like the next peak is a million miles away ! Defensively we are now going in the unintended direction by conceding goals to sides like Newcastle, Sheff and the worst performing Spurs side.

Yes but could you see a trough when we were flying ? That is the nature of sport and only the very best teams trough lasts a game or two , and the biggest problem will be confidence not talent. Once confidence goes then that's a real problem and it needs a spark to restore that.