The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 373 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the odd poor game by a player doesn't mean they get dropped , just as the odd good game means they automatically keep their spot but in Barkleys case the whole fan base, not just a few could see he wasn't doing it. He may well not be fit he may be a lazy arse but whatever he wasn't doing it and by it, he wasn't putting in 110 % effort.
Dean should have acted sooner.
Jack and Cash will come straight back in and rightly so no matter how well their replacements are doing Barkley has to earn the recall

Jack and Cash will come straight back in and rightly so no matter how well their replacements are doing Barkley has to earn the recall
But that should depend on the situation and fitness of the individuals who probably haven’t trained fully. Certainly Elmo will probably be glad of a rest again by then but if results are good how nice it would be not to have to risk rushing Jack back too early.

But that should depend on the situation and fitness of the individuals who probably haven’t trained fully. Certainly Elmo will probably be glad of a rest again by then but if results are good how nice it would be not to have to risk rushing Jack back too early.

oh yes, we don't want a situation as we had with McGinn last season where he said himself he was only 70% fit and he was playing through the pain to keep us up. All that resulted in was him getting slated as not good enough for the PL etc. A fully fit Cash and Jack walk back into our side as they would most side in this league I think

Just for the avoidance of any doubt on this Shakespeare 'thing' that shouldn't be a 'thing' but is, it seems, a 'thing'.

I am genuinely impressed with Smith, seeing perhaps, a gap in the expertise needed, and not only trying to fill it, but fill it with someone of that sort of calibre. That is a true leader to me. You don't need all the knowledge yourself, you don't have to do all the work yourself, you build a team around you capable. It is truly outstanding.

And in comparsion (not to turn this into a MON thread) the much hyped and far bigger reputation manager MON, was far far far too small a character to do the same. That, I believe, was the time where we really had a chance to be contenders.

I hope in time Smith is able to push us up to that as well, in the modern game, with the modern money, and the stupidity of one club as good as being owned by a country, I am not sure, but if this continues, I will enjoy the ride - or as much as I can, with what i think is a massively inferior product (football wise) in the PL.

We are not far off 6th place, to be honest, Dean/ Purslow aren't bankrupting us to do it and I'm pretty sure they won't walk away either. Things haven't looked this good since Randy took over initially.
We haven't gone down the route of signing expensive overpaid has-beens or overpaid egotistical managers.
Dean, Craig, Neil Cutler have Villa in their blood so does JT now even Richard Kelly is a local man so will get the size and importance of Aston Villa in the Midlands.
We have to go back to the days of BFR and Sir Brian and Gregory to find a time when we had a coaching team that understands the club.
We are not a fecking Franchise we are Aston Villa

Don't know is this has been posted, if it
has please delete.
He has said players picked for international duty will not be allowed To go, if they
have to travel to one of the red list countries.
The means EMI, Luiz , Marv, and any one else will not have to spend 10 days in a hotel.

has please delete.
He has said players picked for international duty will not be allowed To go, if they
The means EMI, Luiz , Marv, and any one else will not have to spend 10 days in a hotel.
Good.

has please delete.

Understand why and it certainly benefits us. I feel for the 3 though, especially Martinez and Luiz are trying to establish themselves in their national sides. Still there'll be other opportunities. Still seems odd have Brazilian and Argentinian internationals in our team.

Really poor tonight. Wrong selection and far too slow to change things. Very bad day at the office for Dean.

The next two gaps he needs to fill in his experience/expertise is changing the game and proactivity.

In the first instance, we still don't pick up points from losing positions and generally when we're losing the game seems to be beyond us. The only change I feel we ever seem to make which actually makes any sort of difference is moving Grealish into the middle.

Proactivity follows from the above. He often seems to be reactive in-game rather than making quicker subs. Easy examples are Marv not coming off immediately after Sheffield were down to 10 or games where we're overrun and Barkley or Traore are offering nothing. Similarly, he's not protecting the players, McGinn and others were fatigued for weeks and he's still played some of them.

With all that said we don't have a strong bench so to some degree, some better players would make the above easier to execute. I still don't know if thats in Dean though.

It just feels like we're still a bit naive. We were naive in thinking we'd just match teams and the better team would win. We found out if that was the case we were clearly nowhere near being the better team. I still feel like elements of that naivety is there. We go into every game thinking we'll win if we play our game but when we meet the brick wall we have no alternative. Its almost like we say "we did our best".

Dear Dean,

Thank you for all you've done at the Villa. For giving me an attacking, exciting team and most importantly giving me my sense of pride back in my club.

But please, please spend two weeks with the team teaching them how to deliver an effective cross and free kick.

Thanks again XCV
And if we could actually score from a corner one day that'd be great

Earlier in the season we were treated to some quite good corners, like the ball which got to Trez via the head of Mings against Arsenal. Maybe it's down to who takes the corners.

It would probably help if we just stuck with one corner taker for awhile. I've seen Grealish, Targett, McGinn, Sanson, Barkley, Bert, AEG and Cash all take corners this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.