The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it, we have had three players from Chelsea Tammy, Drinkwater and Barkley, Tammy had not been indoctrinated in to the Chelsea way having been out on loan the majority of time he had not become a cocky lazy player (still isn't by the look of it) having had a limited amount of game time with them up until that point.

Barkley and Drinkwater have both had big money moves to the club, this has clearly affected them and had ended up with a drop in form and complacency, Chelsea will not and have not stood for this and as far as they are concerned they are damaged goods.

I think Villa have been mugged off twice expecting to get the best out of these players when at the day you can't change a player's attitude both of these players just see us a pay day, they are not invested Aston Villa and allowing Barkley this season to command an almost automatic place in the starting line up is a real mistake.

Last edited:
I have to say, I've never really rated Barkley.

He looked fired up the first few games he played, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. He just doesn't seem to have the mentality to go with the ability he has in there somewhere.

He's certainly not worth the £40m or whatever is being quoted and I don't think we'll be paying that come the summer.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t think his talent has ever really been in question and I can’t recall anyone questioning his talent when we signed him on the thread. It was a no brainer to sign him on loan as it was only wages lost with perhaps a bit of playing time deserved for someone else, though there felt like a win-win solution for everyone.

But it’s not currently clicking, the attitude is showing and I wouldn’t be looking to bring him in even at a bargain price as it stands.

If he can use last weekend as a wake up call and step his game up over the next few months - which starts on the training pitch - then maybe there’s hope for him. But a lot needs to go right for that to happen.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t think his talent has ever really been in question and I can’t recall anyone questioning his talent when we signed him on the thread. It was a no brainer to sign him on loan as it was only wages lost with perhaps a bit of playing time deserved for someone else, though there felt like a win-win solution for everyone.

But it’s not currently clicking, the attitude is showing and I wouldn’t be looking to bring him in even at a bargain price as it stands.

If he can use last weekend as a wake up call and step his game up over the next few months - which starts on the training pitch - then maybe there’s hope for him. But a lot needs to go right for that to happen.
The issue with Barkley is attitude and sense of entitlement unfortunately he is not unique

Maybe Barkley isn’t lazy but is forced to play below capacity due to his poor fitness condition. I think Smith has to consider using him off the bench and seeing what he can do when he doesn’t have to worry about “getting through” the game and can just give his all. Maybe then we can judge him better. We all saw he can be a really good player but it’s just gone all wrong in recent weeks and it’s clear something needs to change.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t think his talent has ever really been in question and I can’t recall anyone questioning his talent when we signed him on the thread.
As I said, he has talent in there somewhere and he was fired up when he first arrived.

But...

the attitude is showing and I wouldn’t be looking to bring him in even at a bargain price as it stands.
That's why I don't rate him as highly as some. He's in a similar bracket to the likes of Wilfred Zaha for me.

Something doesn't look right. His touch was woeful yesterday and that's the last thing you expect to go when it comes to him. He doesn't look physically and mentally sharp to me. The bench is the right place for him at this point in time.

I understand your point of view mate but, I disagree with your assessment that the bench is the right place for him at this point in time. I think the training ground is the right place for him on match days at this point in time. Get him physically fit and see if that brightens his game, if not, send him back to Chelsea.

Nobody questioned his talent after Liverpool H & Leicester A

We thought we’d truly got the ideal partner for Jack in midfield and a massive improvement on what we had before. For whatever reason it hasn’t happened and he now looks frustrated and unhappy. The saving grace is we haven’t bought him and his career may end up as one of those “might-have-beens”. Let’s see how he takes being dropped and put on the bench like any other mortal - it may just give him a second wakening.

Maybe Barkley isn’t lazy but is forced to play below capacity due to his poor fitness condition. I think Smith has to consider using him off the bench and seeing what he can do when he doesn’t have to worry about “getting through” the game and can just give his all. Maybe then we can judge him better. We all saw he can be a really good player but it’s just gone all wrong in recent weeks and it’s clear something needs to change.
I have just been reading back through old Chelsea and Everton supporter threads plus generally old media stuff and your post above together with a lot of others on here are pretty standard right through his career.
Enigma, attitude, lazy, brilliant talent wasted, injury, poor fitness etc, just keep cropping up ever since his days at Everton.
I think maybe he is just one of those talents that will struggle right through his time in football to fulfil his undoubted ability.
There definately seems a pattern that has developed and I dont see it changing any time soon really.

I have just been reading back through old Chelsea and Everton supporter threads plus generally old media stuff and your post above together with a lot of others on here are pretty standard right through his career.
Enigma, attitude, lazy, brilliant talent wasted, injury, poor fitness etc, just keep cropping up ever since his days at Everton.
I think maybe he is just one of those talents that will struggle right through his time in football to fulfil his undoubted ability.
There definately seems a pattern that has developed and I dont see it changing any time soon really.
Yes, that's the jist of it, what we are seeing is the normal Ross Barkley, he will never run his nuts off for the cause, he can be brilliant but most of the time he looks Lazy leading to people thinking he isn't actually fit.
What we see is what we get basically, so bye Bye Ross

It may not be the most popular view, but every player has ups and downs in form - even SJG.

We are an uncompromising audience and expect perfection from every player, every game. The world is not like that.

For me he’s been an integral part of our success this season. Admittedly he’s not at his best right now, nor since his injury. Is he angry at being subbed or is he angry with his own performances? None of us know, but we assume it’s the former and slate him.

Hopefully he’ll get back to his best, but I am also with the majority here - wouldn’t buy him at £40m - perhaps he’s just not the player we all hoped he would be, borne out by comments on other forums. Our current future is Sanson and now Ramsey. More are coming through the pipeline, so I’m not overly fussed one way or the other. At least he can’t just sit here for 4 years - which would have been the case in the past. There’s still time for him and I hope he can make a contribution, but we have options now which hasn’t always been the case.

On his game Barkley is cool and plays some terrific football. He certainly took some of the pressure off Jack in his first few games and I felt they had a chemistry.

The thing that I can't accept about Ross is his lack of commitment to the cause. He doesn't close the opposition down and doesn't make the effort to run back . If you get a jog out of him it's as much as you get.

In a pure footballing team he could be fantastic with everything going through him but where we are at in our development he is a passenger we can't afford to carry.

Sorry Ross but as Jim Bowen would say it's- BFH

On his game Barkley is cool and plays some terrific football. He certainly took some of the pressure off Jack in his first few games and I felt they had a chemistry.

The thing that I can't accept about Ross is his lack of commitment to the cause. He doesn't close the opposition down and doesn't make the effort to run back . If you get a jog out of him it's as much as you get.

In a pure footballing team he could be fantastic with everything going through him but where we are at in our development he is a passenger we can't afford to carry.

Sorry Ross but as Jim Bowen would say it's- BFH
I'm with you here Xchurch and I think that Barkley knows it is over for him at Villa and his career might now also be in tailspin. I think his reaction when subbed against Leicester spoke volumes. He will have seen the workrate of Nakamba, Ramsey and Sanson yesterday and realised that he ain't getting a game soon. In need of a substitute yesterday, Trezeuget was preferred purely for his workrate and the look on Barkley's face when he wasn't called back to the dugout showed his disappointment.
I can't think of a game in the remaining fixtures where he might get on - Liverpool maybe - but all of the games coming up will need 100% battlers and sadly RB is a luxury player and I can't see that changing

Status
Not open for further replies.