82/83 Comparisons | Page 10 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

28 games gone, the difference between the two eras is a single point in the 2021 sides favour.

Back then a disappointing 2-2 with Donny Rovers despite a backing of 2,000 Imps on the crumbling open terrace at Belle Vue. Goals from Bell & Hobson in front of a crowd of 4,667 almost 4k lower than in the previous season.

Up next a midweek fixture against mid-table Southend United.

28.jpg

28 games gone, the difference between the two eras is a single point in the 2021 sides favour.

Back then a disappointing 2-2 with Donny Rovers despite a backing of 2,000 Imps on the crumbling open terrace at Belle Vue. Goals from Bell & Hobson in front of a crowd of 4,667 almost 4k lower than in the previous season.

Up next a midweek fixture against mid-table Southend United.

View attachment 46350

Thanks for this. As I wasn’t around in 82/83 (well I was, I was four) this is a fascinating comparison.

Maybe an unfair question, but to those who were there - which is the better team?!

Thanks for this. As I wasn’t around in 82/83 (well I was, I was four) this is a fascinating comparison.

Maybe an unfair question, but to those who were there - which is the better team?!

At a full strength X1 I think the 82/83 edges it, but only because they were more prolific in front of goal. In terms of the best squad, its undoubtedly 2020/21 for me.

29 games gone, and its getting nailbiting stuff.

38 years ago, what I perceived to be a home banker v The Shrimpers, resulted in an abject 0-1 defeat in front of exactly 4,000 fans. I distinctly remember only one carload (3 fans) stood together in the away end.

Plymouth Argyle await on the Saturday - how ironic!!! :oops:

29.jpg

29 games gone, and its getting nailbiting stuff.

38 years ago, what I perceived to be a home banker v The Shrimpers, resulted in an abject 0-1 defeat in front of exactly 4,000 fans. I distinctly remember only one carload (3 fans) stood together in the away end.

Plymouth Argyle await on the Saturday - how ironic!!! :oops:

View attachment 46425
Lets hope history repeats it self on Saturday when we play Plymouth and an away win.

26th Feb 1983 Lincoln City 1 - 2 Plymouth Argyle

Of the teams shown in 1983, three of them have since been in the Premier League, the other three have been out of the league for a time.

Looking at all the teams in that division in 1982/83:

1 is presently in the Premier League
7 are currently in the Championship
8 are in League One
6 are in League Two
2 are non-league

No less than 10 later played in the Premier League/Division One
9 had spells out of the league, including Newport who went out of business.

Prior to the start of the Plymouth Argyle game, I was handed a leaflet outside the turnstile regarding a planned demo after the match.

Back then, albeit naively, I was thinking that a win would negate the building tension especially as Phil Turner was back in midfield? :hmmm:

de.jpg

Sadly, despite Derek Bell netting his 16th goal of the season, a second home defeat in the week in front of a disappointing 3,915, our top 3 spot was looking increasingly precarious.

The demo turned nasty as the Old Bill were drafted in front of the St Andrews fans, as several hundred Imps fans vented their spleen at Gilbert Blades.

Fast forward 38 years, and defeat is snatched from the jaws of victory against the same mid-table opposition. Jorge Grant limped off the pitch, as did Steve Thompson back then. Lets hope he is only out for 3 games, although it appears highly unlikely.

I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that history is repeating itself, although Mr Nates is exempt from any criticism obviously. :bow:

30.jpg

I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that history is repeating itself, although Mr Nates is exempt from any criticism obviously. :bow:
I'm beginning the only person to blame is the person who keeps making these comparisons.

Although if we win 3-0 tomorrow night, they may be off the hook.

"I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that history is repeating itself" ...

History never repeats events. Although there are some similarities between the current season and 1982-83, there are also many differences. Significantly, in 1982-83 the team management and board of directors were not united with a common objective.

Sometimes you can overthink these matters. The Chronicle, in the early part of 1972, suggested the Imps were a near certainty for promotion as 1971-72 continued the pattern of success for 1911-12, 1931-32 and 1951-52. Of course history didn't repeat itself and we didn't go up that season.

I'm beginning the only person to blame is the person who keeps making these comparisons.

Although if we win 3-0 tomorrow night, they may be off the hook.

Yeah, its all my completely my fault isn't it? :finger:

A long fruitless journey down to Devon, saw The Imps lose by 2 goals (uncanny isn't it) to Exeter in another defeat, this time 1-3 with Stuart Hibberd playing as a makeshift No: 9 in place of the injured Gordon Hobson. We didn't even have enough players to field a substitute, as no doubt Murph felt less inclined to put Stuart Naylor on the bench.

A home game against mid-table Brentford up next, as Micheal Jackson's Billie Jean hit the top spot in the Charts. :headphones:

31.jpg