Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town

result was not a surprise.

positives: morton back. looks like there is loads to come from sanders - very impressed. last fifteen was more like the early season last fifteen
negatives: can't give teams a 1 goal start. never mind a two goal start. someone needs to have a word with rogers about team play.

Defeat. Close game in the end (closer than it could have been), but ultimately got we deserved. Cannot offer up that 15 minutes that we did after half time and not expect to conceede a goal, really poor. It was a very difficult watch at times.

Better for the last 15 minutes. I think sanders could be the man we turn to. Need Johnson out on the wing. Jackson solid, but otherwise the defence looks very suspect, especially down the left. Great for Morton to come on score.

It's going to be a massive grind the next few weeks until be get a much needed break and some players return as we all know.

Where was that energy and urgency for the first 70 minutes? Can't put that down to fatigue if they're full of running at the end of the game. It looks like confidence is very low, tentative passing and a reluctance to take control or try the risky option.

Criticise Rogers if you like, it didn't come off for him tonight but he was the only one showing for the ball everytime we had it and the only one looking to make something happen {possibly excluding Moryon}

I am not convinced that Rogers and Johnson in the same team works. Jackson and Morton pleasing though.

The sad thing is if we had Morton and Birdcutt for the majority of the season we would have our name already engraved on the trophy

I think we all knew this was going to be a difficult match, and so it proofed

Lets hope we can get a good result on Saturday

Fleetwood had an extra spring in their step as they realised they were playing a team a little low on confidence. The subs gave the Imps a lift and is something to work on in the coming games. Appleton asked a question of some of his players tonight and he will know the answers.

Where was that energy and urgency for the first 70 minutes? Can't put that down to fatigue if they're full of running at the end of the game. It looks like confidence is very low, tentative passing and a reluctance to take control or try the risky option.

Criticise Rogers if you like, it didn't come off for him tonight but he was the only one showing for the ball everytime we had it and the only one looking to make something happen {possibly excluding Moryon}
Sorry he is simply not good enough, interested enough nor strong enough for this league.

FT. Unlucky Imps. On the plus side the substitutes all played a role and it was great to see Morton come on and score - he showed he is a quality player and will be a big plus for us if he can stay fit. On the downside - get Rogers off the pitch. He is a ‘quality Premiership’ (aka luxury) player who doesn’t believe in fighting for the ball or chasing it down if it is more than a yard from him, plus he is too selfish - how many times did you see him taking on three players instead of passing the ball to open play up and bring others into the game and how many times did you see misplaced passes from him. He needs a rest and some training time and a few talks with MA. He could learn a lot from Johnson who does battle for the ball as well as creating and he knows a lot more now when to release the ball. The rest of the game was pretty ‘huff& puff’ from us - we tried hard in the second half and could have got something from the game but we tried too many passes through their players instead of round them. All in all there were some good points from a game I expected to lose and enough to give a bit of hope. We still desperately need one or two players back though.

We can stress and worry about the first 60 minutes but I'll look beyond that. Positive substitutions and half an hour of Sanders and Morton have shown a way forward out of a difficult week. Those two are going to give us a lift and I'm going to call it, the worst is over.

Take the last half hour into the first half hour on Saturday and I can see the good ship Lincoln being steadied sooner rather than later.

a disappointing performance against a team that aint all that, based on recent results. we are having a bad spell.
passing was iffy, ball control was iffy. our attacks were snuffed out time and time again, and in the end we seemed to revert to a route 1 long ball game. The substitutions did inject some energy into what had been a lack-lustre performance and we did have the better of the last half hour.
decent game for McGrandles and Eyoma when he came on. Johnson did ok and Morton took his goal well. Rogers and Edun were awful.

It could have been a lot worse tonight I suppose. Fleetwood were an average mid-table team that were made to look better. I’m not sure what we are at the moment, but you don’t become an inherently bad team overnight. We’ve had some poor performances lately, driven from lack of depth in the squad, but our season is recoverable if we get key players back. Morton’s goal gave us a bit of a lift today - it’s value may be to help get our spirits up for Saturday rather than give us anything tonight.

Hard to feel to much as in the back of my mind we’re a mid table team currently in 3rd
Best team won and hopefully we can still be around the POs in May to make it interesting
Uti
We're "a mid table team" because our best "top of the table" players are out injured, off form or in at least a couple of cases, clearly struggling to regain stamina to pre- covid levels.

Still in a position to finish the season strongly, keep the faith.