Guitarists | Page 2 | Vital Football

Guitarists

Being the old Greebo that I am, favourite guitarists have to be Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Phil Lynott (on bass, obviously), Jimmy Page and Brian May. When Rock really was Rock music. Best drummer just has to be John Bonham.

Ah ha! You've made your first error in your continued spooking/stalking of me, Notty.

This answer is wrong. Chuck should be number one, naturally.

Now we're talking! Very talented guy in the blues/rock/country ball-park.*

*Makes note to observe GoBC's CD collection through the window more carefully next time he visits his garden.

Last edited:
Now we're talking! Very talented guy in the blues/rock/country ball-park.*

*Makes note to observe GoBC's CD collection through the window more carefully next time he visits his garden.

Don't! It's getting a bit weird now. I've already had a look up the street to see if I could see a Kettley-lookalike in the bushes.

Anyway, your assertion that Chuck's solo stuff might be in some way below par is fighting talk round here. Better watch out when walking those dogs!

Not sure I can some up with a Top 5, but as well as Chuck, I'd definitely add the late, great Clarence White (from the latter days of The Byrds). Along with drummer Gene Parsons, he invented the b-bender device that allowed his Telecaster to emulate some of the sounds a pedal steel guitar can produce.

I do like a bit of twang.

Don't! It's getting a bit weird now. I've already had a look up the street to see if I could see a Kettley-lookalike in the bushes.

Anyway, your assertion that Chuck's solo stuff might be in some way below par is fighting talk round here. Better watch out when walking those dogs!

Oddly, it's not his playing in his solo career (which is as good as ever), it's that I've never really taken to his vocals. Much preferred Dan Stuart's. It's not that he can't hold a tune, I just find his style a bit dull. I always rather wished he'd got another vocalist in but, after Stuart, who can blame him for not doing so? ;)

Oddly, it's not his playing in his solo career (which is as good as ever), it's that I've never really taken to his vocals. Much preferred Dan Stuart's. It's not that he can't hold a tune, I just find his style a bit dull. I always rather wished he'd got another vocalist in but, after Stuart, who can blame him for not doing so? ;)

I'm not as familiar as GoR as with his solo stuff, but know they were a tempestuous bunch - there's a book about Chuck/Green On Red (called What Makes The Monkey Dance), that was published last year. Not got round to reading it yet.

His voice (spoken and singing) is very nasal. I like to describe him to people as the 'bargain bin Tom Petty', which isn't really accurate (nor an insult, in my eyes anyway).

He's a great guitarist though, and he just makes it look so effortless. Usually with a big, fat grin on his face too. Actually, that's one of the other things I love about him, there's no artifice of the tortured artist, he looks like he's having a great time and he that he thinks you should be having a great time too.

I'm not as familiar as GoR as with his solo stuff, but know they were a tempestuous bunch - there's a book about Chuck/Green On Red (called What Makes The Monkey Dance), that was published last year. Not got round to reading it yet.

His voice (spoken and singing) is very nasal. I like to describe him to people as the 'bargain bin Tom Petty', which isn't really accurate (nor an insult, in my eyes anyway).

He's a great guitarist though, and he just makes it look so effortless. Usually with a big, fat grin on his face too. Actually, that's one of the other things I love about him, there's no artifice of the tortured artist, he looks like he's having a great time and he that he thinks you should be having a great time too.

Pound-shop Tom Petty also a good call. Arguably a better guitarist but not as good a singer/song-writer.

Weirdly, I can't remember if I saw GoR. I *think* I saw them at either Rock City or the Town and Country club. Definitely saw the Gergia Sattelites at the latter.

Very nearly saw Prophet in Nottingham about 3/4 years ago but forgot to book and missed it!

Definitely saw the Gergia Sattelites at the latter.

Ah, the Georgia Satellites - which is who I presume you meant ;) - now you're talking. Loved their annual summer appearances at Rock City at the end of the 80s.

Chuck has a UK tour booked for later in the year, whenever we get going again. Playing in Gosforth. Although I've got tickets for Leeds. I'd always recommend going to see him. It's a fun show, even if he does tell the same gags every time.

Ah, the Georgia Satellites - which is who I presume you meant ;) - now you're talking. Loved their annual summer appearances at Rock City at the end of the 80s.

Chuck has a UK tour booked for later in the year, whenever we get going again. Playing in Gosforth. Although I've got tickets for Leeds. I'd always recommend going to see him. It's a fun show, even if he does tell the same gags every time.

Well, the gags will be new to me! I might get a ticket for that... not sure it will go ahead, though. We'll see.

Edit: full re-opening under current government time-table ("data not dates", my arse) not 'til 21st June?

Well, the gags will be new to me! I might get a ticket for that... not sure it will go ahead, though. We'll see.

Edit: full re-opening under current government time-table ("data not dates", my arse) not 'til 21st June?

Yes, I wasn't sure what the current scheduled dates are for the Chuck gig. I have tickets for 6/7 shows and can't keep tabs on where they're all at currently. The motorways are going to be full of bands zooming around the country once lockdown is lifted. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I wasn't sure what the current scheduled dates are for the Chuck gig. I have tickets for 6/7 shows and can't keep tabs on where they're all at currently. The motorways are going to be full of bands zooming around the country once lockdown is lifted. Fingers crossed.

Love the idea that all motorway traffic will be bands in vans!!

Just checked government regulations (which, when you actually look at them in detail are not very clear), and it states that, no earlier than 17th May:
  • Larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is lower) will also be allowed, as will those in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4000 people or half-full (whichever is lower).
That seems to mean any venue with < 1000 capacity can re-open without social distancing from 17th May. Those larger can re-open with 50% capacity.

Pound-shop Tom Petty also a good call. Arguably a better guitarist but not as good a singer/song-writer.

Weirdly, I can't remember if I saw GoR. I *think* I saw them at either Rock City or the Town and Country club. Definitely saw the Gergia Sattelites at the latter.

Very nearly saw Prophet in Nottingham about 3/4 years ago but forgot to book and missed it!

That Georgia Satellites gig at the T&C is one of the best I've ever been to...

Just checked government regulations (which, when you actually look at them in detail are not very clear), and it states that, no earlier than 17th May:
  • Larger performances and sporting events in indoor venues with a capacity of 1,000 people or half-full (whichever is lower) will also be allowed, as will those in outdoor venues with a capacity of 4000 people or half-full (whichever is lower).
That seems to mean any venue with < 1000 capacity can re-open without social distancing from 17th May. Those larger can re-open with 50% capacity.

Yes not clear at all.
And 50% full means every other seat occupied which means people about a foot or so apart (to either side and to front and behind). Definitely not 2 metres! And indoors which is even worse!