Cowley and Dons? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Cowley and Dons?

But if he were being ‘Lined up’ by Bristol City, surely they’d have sounded him out already to see if he may be interested. Find it hard to believe that if Bristol City do have someone in mind for the summer, they’ve not at least spoken to them to see if they would be interested.

football is not logical

But if he were being ‘Lined up’ by Bristol City, surely they’d have sounded him out already to see if he may be interested. Find it hard to believe that if Bristol City do have someone in mind for the summer, they’ve not at least spoken to them to see if they would be interested.
They would have sounded him out and said don’t sign another contract we’ll pay you signing on fee

at least he made it past 27 the most dangerous age in rock n roll

So when I saw him in '89 he was all of 22 years old. Prodigy. Have to say, I didn't really follow his career much after that but I still remember that gig quite vividly.

Charlton's fans are the latest to speculate on the possibility of a new manager and once again, although his name is mentioned, Danny Cowley is not a popular choice.

When he had that parting with Huddersfield I didn't think it would affect his profile, but I reckon that now he is associated with a rather dour style of play and has become a bit of a victim of the touchline antics which he always used to try and get an advantage.

That reputation is unfair as, although he's not an expansive coach like Appleton, he's pragmatic to the point of obsesssion and we saw a development of style ourselves. But it's hard to change perceptions.

It's not looking like he's going to get a club any larger than LCFC now and might have to take a step back to move forwards.

Since we're going wildly off -topic, do you know the blues guitarist Geoff Healey? He's blind and really quite amazing. I saw him at Rock City in 1989 when I hobbled along on crutches after I broke my leg. Amazing gig.

Pedant's corner: Jeff, not Geoff, Healey.

I was at Rock City that night too.

Pedant's corner: Jeff, not Geoff, Healey.

I was at Rock City that night too.

You've already been out-pedanted by arch-pedant Sincilbanks!

Well, if you saw a chap hobbling around on crutches with a broken leg that night, that was me. :grinning:

You've already been out-pedanted by arch-pedant Sincilbanks!

Well, if you saw a chap hobbling around on crutches with a broken leg that night, that was me. :grinning:

Yes, sorry, noticed Sincilbanks reply after posting.

Think the blind guy being guided to his seat on stage stole your thunder, disability-wise.

And talent-wise. :grinning:

Feel like 30-odd years is long enough to confess to being in the same place as you, whereas that thread you posted before Christmas about dog-walking near Washington FC's ground, when I had run past that very spot on the same morning on my Sunday morning run, was bloody spooky.

So much so, that I'm only mentioning it now. Began to wonder if I was you or you were me. Which would be worrying either way.

Charlton's fans are the latest to speculate on the possibility of a new manager and once again, although his name is mentioned, Danny Cowley is not a popular choice.

When he had that parting with Huddersfield I didn't think it would affect his profile, but I reckon that now he is associated with a rather dour style of play and has become a bit of a victim of the touchline antics which he always used to try and get an advantage.

That reputation is unfair as, although he's not an expansive coach like Appleton, he's pragmatic to the point of obsesssion and we saw a development of style ourselves. But it's hard to change perceptions.

It's not looking like he's going to get a club any larger than LCFC now and might have to take a step back to move forwards.

I think you're absolutely right about the way he's perceived, certainly by fans, quite possibly by owners as well given the fact he's still out of work.

I always thought he was brilliant at identifying strengths and weaknesses and working or a method from there. If you gave him the Grimsby job he'd 0-0 and 1-0 his way to safety and certainly not be easy on the eye. If you gave him the Ipswich job he'd be able to use their relative wealth and stature to bring in better players who can play better football and I'd be almost certain he'd get them promoted given a season in charge.

Even last season MA had to bring a certain level of pragmatism to our play as it was clear the players we had weren't capable of producing what he really wanted. Unless you're at an elite club who can just buy anyone they need you have to be adaptable and DC certainly is.

Feel like 30-odd years is long enough to confess to being in the same place as you, whereas that thread you posted before Christmas about dog-walking near Washington FC's ground, when I had run past that very spot on the same morning on my Sunday morning run, was bloody spooky.

So much so, that I'm only mentioning it now. Began to wonder if I was you or you were me. Which would be worrying either way.

We've never been seen in the same room! Except at Rock City, of course. :grinning:

The lifting of the salary cap might mean they'll look a little lower down, although I can't see them going lower than L1.

Charlton would be a good project for them in terms of the Club having issues between the fans and at Board level but I'm not sure whether it's stable enough there yet? Are the rumblings of current and past owners still going on? It's a job they'd probably like but a little risky.

Charlton fans are behind the new owner Thomas Sandgaard but almost universally against Lee Bowyer. That disconnect is growing all the time, becoming similar to the situation at Ipswich with Lambert, and can only end one way. Ipswich, Sunderland and Charlton looked to be good opportunities for the Cowleys, but Sunderland has already been taken and Ipswich is about to be filled by Paul Cook (wrong choice in my opinion). That leaves only Charlton available in theory. Interestingly, Charlton and Sunderland have new owners and Ipswich are about to have.

On the subject of Danny and Nicky, Orient have dismissed Ross Embleton and many Os fans are suggesting they would be a good choice. They would be for Orient, however I think their fans are delusional if they think they will go there. However, a comment has appeared on one of the Orient forums that defies any rational explanation. Make of this what you will;

There is no way on earth we can afford these two.
Not totally convinced it’s a gamble worth taking.
Yes they did alright with Lincoln.
They had one of the largest fan base and budgets in the Conference and in L2.
In L1 they struggled and when they left they were in the bottom two.
Like most managers they don’t outperform their budget.
They were out of their depth at Huddlesfield and that was no surprise.’

Did alright with Lincoln? Understatement of the year, sorry, decade - actually make that Millennium.
As for the largest fan bases and budgets in the Conference and League 2....words fail me. When they took over the club, the fan base was meagre compared to how it ended up. As for budgets, the League 2 budget was fairly average in that division.
I also don’t recall Imps being bottom 2 when they departed either, and as for being out of their depth at Huddersfield, well again, words fail me.

I am aghast at what I have read there and thought this would raise a chuckle. I know many message boards suffer from knobheads (This one being a notable exception) but the Orient one seems to have cleaned up in that respect.