Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

Any point away from home is a good point. A victory would be exceptional regardless of whether it came in the style of the games at Crewe or conversely Wigan.

Points, points, points - accumulation now and if it's a good footballing display that's just a bonus.

It's funny how the more is on the line, the acceptability quotient between performance and result is skewed.

If we were comfortably mid table many of us would simply be looking forward to enjoying a good game of attractive football. Get to the top end of the league and I doubt many give a toss how we play, provided we come back with something in the points column from far off Devon.

For me the point away from home is a good point mantra is out of the window just for this season. Especially when you consider our home form is 1.64ppg
The away setup seems to totally suit our game, the big headache is that we can’t replicate that setup/mentality in home games.

We lost there in the cup with half our team left out, against their first 11.
A couple of other factors, they are not relegation-desperate for points (I.e. like Wigan and Swindon), and play more of a passing game, than an in your face physical game.

Good Afternoon all. Hope everyone is in good spirits. Lovely day where I am and have given the garden it's first quick clensing of the year this morning. If the weather is as nice in Plymouth it would have been a grand day out.
Looking forward to this one as I think our away form will see us through today. Midfield will be the key though as we've lost that area of late

we just need to concentrate today. cut out the mistakes. The weather is bright and sunny in Plymouth. Not been much rain for a few days so i'm hoping the pitch will be to our liking. All set for a good game.

For me the point away from home is a good point mantra is out of the window just for this season. Especially when you consider our home form is 1.64ppg
The away setup seems to totally suit our game, the big headache is that we can’t replicate that setup/mentality in home games.

We lost there in the cup with half our team left out, against their first 11.
A couple of other factors, they are not relegation-desperate for points (I.e. like Wigan and Swindon), and play more of a passing game, than an in your face physical game.

That said I'd still take a point today. All three would be great.
Should be a good game.

I agree re the home / away being a bit less relevant this season - the target for me is still 4 points per pair of matches which normally tends to be a home / away pair. Which match contributes which is not too concerning.

Basically it's all about how you bounce back - whether that's from a draw or from a defeat. Fingers crossed for today.

Whilst a point away from home is always a point gained, I actually feel more confident of the full three away from home. Being set up for the counter we are able to create more with the home side less likely to sit back. Perfect weather for football. Looking forward to this one. UTI👊💥

Grant McGrandles Johnson in midfield again then. Can't say I'm a fan of that, but we'll see how it goes, don't think it's worked all that well having Johnson in there instead of further upfield
Likewise, apart from one EFL trophy game Jonhson has looked a bit lost there. MA confident it can work. Up against one of the best creative midfielders in the league, Grant v Mayor will be interesting.

Jephcott just on the bench for Argyle, not 100% fit for a start?

Interesting that Jones is struggling to get back into the starting line-up after Covid. Thought we might have strengthened up the middle of the park with him or Sanders from the start today.
Bit surprised they've only got Jephcott on the bench.

Grant McGrandles Johnson in midfield again then. Can't say I'm a fan of that, but we'll see how it goes, don't think it's worked all that well having Johnson in there instead of further upfield

I'm also surprised. Can anyone think of anywhere it's worked to have Johnson in midfield other than against Shrewsbury Reserves? It also seems to leave us wide open to the counter attack.

Playing all our forward options from the start also means there is nobody to bring off the bench to make a difference.

Of course we might be going 4-2-3-1 with Johnson in the hole behind Hopper, a role which would suit his game better than being in a midfield 3. Not sure MA is likely to switch away from the normal 4-3-3 though

Jones must be well out of favour and Sanders can't be quite ready yet. MA knows best though, he's got us to this point so until something goes wrong I can't be to unhappy with that line up.

Just hope that we turn up in the first 2 minutes, get into the opponents half in the first 15 minutes and don't concede in the first half.
Maybe I'm being a bit picky, but we never seem to start really well. Saying all that, I look forward to away games on a decent pitch without a galeforce wind.
Come on you Imps!

Jephcott has been out of form for a while, there is a lengthy thread on PASOTI about it:

https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=113880

I have to say, I am still surprised to see him left out against us. He has scored 18 of their 56 goals - today's Plymouth line-up has only scored 19 all season:

Plymouth (56)
18: Luke Jephcott
5: Joe Edwards, Panutche Camara
4: Ryan Hardie
3: Conor Grant, George Cooper
2: Kelland Watts, Frank Nouble (on loan to Colchester), Ben Reeves, Niall Ennis, Dom Telford (no longer with club), own goals
1: Danny Mayor, Byron Moore, Klaidi Lolos (on loan to Chippenham Town), Adam Lewis, Jerome Opoku, Niall Canavan (no longer with club)