What Are You Watching Online? | Page 9 | Vital Football

What Are You Watching Online?

Just looked, it's on Prime but not free!
There was also a really good audio series about it on BBC Sounds, with interviews of many of the actual people involved in the real events. Don't know if it's still there.
Awesome, I'll have a look, cheers. Is anything on prime actually included?! Every time we look for anything they want extra money from us!

Watched News of the World on Netflix last night. Enjoyed it, but maybe not edgy enough for some looking at previous posts!

James Bolam, you should watch it, you'd appreciate it. Written by Alan Plater...

That's it, Bolam! Used to be in the "Likely Lads" with Rodney Bewes.

I actually say him in a stage production of a Beckett play in Nottingham years ago. The play was predictably weird, but he was very good.

Watched News of the World on Netflix last night. Enjoyed it, but maybe not edgy enough for some looking at previous posts!
Got very mixed reviews but we think we'll give it a go.

Some of the recent films on Netfix have been terrific. "The Dig" is gorgeously filmed, subtly played story involving class and underlying uncertainty at the start of WW2. "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" is powerful and at times shocking, with at least 2 possible Oscar winning performances. "Trial of the Chicago Seven" is a story absurd if it wasnt true and so resonant with current issues in the US.

For light relief, Mrs. CI has overcome reluctance to try foreign subtitled programmes and "Call My Agent" is a hoot, who knew the French could be funny?

Classic - really enjoyed those back in the day. " A Very Peculiar Practice" was another one from that era we enjoyed, very funny.

Funnily enough we were just talking about that a few days ago. I think it was filmed just up the road from us at the Keele University campus

I heard the phrase "Hell on wheels" on the radio this morning. It reminded me of a very good TV series of the same name. Western revenge type story set around the beginning of the railroads.

Currently rewatching the HBO show Watchmen. Enjoying it second time round and thoroughly recommend it, but it really helps if you have read the book, otherwise I imagine it would be very confusing.

Currently rewatching the HBO show Watchmen. Enjoying it second time round and thoroughly recommend it, but it really helps if you have read the book, otherwise I imagine it would be very confusing.

I've seen the film.

I've seen the film.

Huge Alan Moore fan, but the film is a strange one. It seems to take the book and recreate frame by frame a film without really considering that what makes a good narrative in the medium of comics, may not necessarily make a good movie.

But if you've seen the film you will have enough context to get the TV series, which is far, far superior to the movie. Also, the series takes place in a Watchmen world after the events of the book/movie. Like all good sci-fi/fantasy it has a lot of commentary on the contemporary world and centralizes race-relations in the US as its theme in a brilliant way.