#COVID19 | Page 884 | Vital Football

#COVID19

If I was to lay blame, BJ would get a small %. Our poor status was set by previous governments. Those that decide to cut monies to NHS year on year under the name of austerity. Our poorly prepared hospitals ICU, PPE and care homes that run on temporary staff. Those who took little notice of warnings from SARS and Mers. Those who developed models based on worst scenario’s rather than likely scenario and then scaremonger to gain positions.

The problem lies with poor decisions taken over decades and not being held to account. Not so much with those that took decisions, in crisis with limited options.

But it was the same govt in power polly. The tories have been in power for 10 years.

It appears he [Macron] is beginning to feel some pressure; Marine Le Pen is breathing down his neck with looming elections and a real spectre hanging over The Élysée Palace that the tactical voting which has kept any Le Pen out of power previously, will not be enough this time. She is currently 2% points ahead in the polls. She is crap at the debates so this is not an insurmountable lead.

Speaking with people I know in the area where I am, they are getting increasingly peed off with Macron and the feeling it's all Paris-centric (sounding familiar) and if disputes (perceived or not) are not resolved over fishing rights, this could be a turbulent political 12 months in France. A lot of Brits live in France and the scepticism of vaccines generally has become a real talking point; Macro's name keeps cropping up as being instrumental in spreading the anti-vaxx message..

Macron has now announced he would take the AZ vaccine having previously told the largest anti-vaxx country in Europe that it doesn't work and may be dangerous.
A U-Turn which the UK Gov would be proud.

They also need tourism, France is the most visited country in the world and is massive to the economy; having an unvaccinated France may have a weary planet of tourists looking elsewhere in 2021.

Cant disagree with this but this is a ripple from brexit. Let us hope europe does not swing hugely to the right. We know what happened the last time a nationalist populist took control.

Just fuck off with this, your glee at trying to compete over deaths is where you cross the line into twatdom.

Bollocks.
For a year now the anti-Tory mob on here have been gleefully charging the government with butchery and everything else.
When there is deserved criticism coming back at your EU centrefold of choice, you strike out.
The double standards are laughably transparent and you keep them coming.

Comedy gold, chap.

If I was to lay blame, BJ would get a small %. Our poor status was set by previous governments. Those that decide to cut monies to NHS year on year under the name of austerity. Our poorly prepared hospitals ICU, PPE and care homes that run on temporary staff. Those who took little notice of warnings from SARS and Mers. Those who developed models based on worst scenario’s rather than likely scenario and then scaremonger to gain positions.

The problem lies with poor decisions taken over decades and not being held to account. Not so much with those that took decisions, in crisis with limited options.
Tories voted against being prepared for a pandemic. They knew very well early on that this was going to be bad. Yet didn't react.

Was thinking on the way to work that Williamson has set the teachers up to fail here; there is talk that teachers will mark their students up; whether that will happen or not I have zero opinion, so if any teacher is being proper, and some kids get poor grades, do they then run a risk of stating that the lessons they gave were no good?

Also by saying that he's listened to the unions and the teachers, he is absolving himself from any blame in the future.
The actions of a coward from a minister not worthy of the name.
Appeals are free and made directly to the school, thus outsourcing the problems.

Of course we'll be optimistic. If we didn't want our students to do well and have life chances we wouldn't be in this game. We are incredibly vulnerable to challenge by parents on this; literally this has been left to us to just sort out.

The original plan was to run exams as normal and then exam board would lower the boundaries so that grades were similar to normal to take account of the students probably not having as much learning as previous groups. Essentially, that rewards potential rather than where they actually are against a fixed point.

Instead, it's all up to us and we are being told it has to be based on where they are at the time, not potential. That isn't really fair.

So what is our motivation to make any system that does anything other than maximise their chances? If I devise a system that keeps grades to our school average, while the school down the road throws good grades out as much as they like and gets away with it (as they will), then I have penalised the life chances of my own students for no good reason. I would have let them down in the name of maintaining integrity in a system that is now utterly rancid.

This should not be on us.

Deprived area. Parents don't want their kids taking the tests, because they can't afford ten days off work self isolating if it comes back positive.

This is a problem.
We've incentivised many staff with extra pay if they take the test which then come back positive, to assuage any financial fears they have

Do you agree with Merkel then, that she shouldn't take the AZ one because of her age?
I think that it will be approved soon for over 65s in Germany, at which point her position should / will change.

Yes, of course I absolutely agree that she should not set the example of taking an unregulated med! In addition, it would be taking a vaccine from a German for whom it has been approved, when stocks are in short supply.

There is no other justifiable position. Put down your hate for a moment, have a think for a few seconds, and read more than the headlines.

Bollocks.
For a year now the anti-Tory mob on here have been gleefully charging the government with butchery and everything else.
When there is deserved criticism coming back at your EU centrefold of choice, you strike out.
The double standards are laughably transparent and you keep them coming.

Comedy gold, chap.

I think you mistake glee for anger. Many of us are angry at the govt for what they have done and dont feel better because other countries are having their own issues.

Appeals are free and made directly to the school, thus outsourcing the problems.

Of course we'll be optimistic. If we didn't want our students to do well and have life chances we wouldn't be in this game. We are incredibly vulnerable to challenge by parents on this; literally this has been left to us to just sort out.

The original plan was to run exams as normal and then exam board would lower the boundaries so that grades were similar to normal to take account of the students probably not having as much learning as previous groups. Essentially, that rewards potential rather than where they actually are against a fixed point.

Instead, it's all up to us and we are being told it has to be based on where they are at the time, not potential. That isn't really fair.

So what is our motivation to make any system that does anything other than maximise their chances? If I devise a system that keeps grades to our school average, while the school down the road throws good grades out as much as they like and gets away with it (as they will), then I have penalised the life chances of my own students for no good reason. I would have let them down in the name of maintaining integrity in a system that is now utterly rancid.

This should not be on us.

Another failure by this joke of a govt.

I think that it will be approved soon for over 65s in Germany, at which point her position should / will change.

Yes, of course I absolutely agree that she should not set the example of taking an unregulated med! In addition, it would be taking a vaccine from a German for whom it has been approved, when stocks are in short supply.

There is no other justifiable position. Put down your hate for a moment, have a think for a few seconds, and read more than the headlines.

You're chasing your tail here.
Wait, hate? wow.

OK There is, if you read the story, 1.4m AZ vaccines waiting to be administered in her nation, her having one will not really make too much of an impact into that and symbolically could help Germany vaccinate more, faster than they are doing, thus saving lives.
Germany are administering their vaccines similar to the UK (age priority) and there are very few over 65's willing to have the AZ one, directly because of the anti-AZvaxx propaganda taking place, underlined now by the Chancellor; she isn't 'taking' it from anybody.

The bloc was crazily late approving this and Merkel's publicity stunt in still besmirching the AZ vaccine after VdL's stunt last month, is dangerous.

I think you mistake glee for anger. Many of us are angry at the govt for what they have done and dont feel better because other countries are having their own issues.

So why assume mine is glee?

You disagree with what I say, that's fine, encouraged and very welcome, as debate is fruitful in many ways.
Despite the best efforts of universities in this country actively wanting to no-platform anybody who has the temerity to hold anything other than left wing ideology, it is critical.

Play the game and not the player, it's more constructive.