#COVID19 | Page 883 | Vital Football

#COVID19

We can quibble about numbers, but our government has to bear a lot of blame for the number of Covid deaths.

Nearly a year ago (BJ was missing COBRA meetings to sort out his sex life) they could have twigged that we're an island and quarantined everyone arriving in the country. They finally got round to it a few weeks ago.

They let infected patients return to care homes, killing off loads of the most vulnerable, then pretended it was all the fault of the NHS.

They farmed out PPE provision and test and trace to chums and offshore companies with no expertise, spaffing millions up the wall, rather than realising that local NHS teams were quite good at test and trace.

Corporate manslaughter wouldn't be far from the mark.

If I was to lay blame, BJ would get a small %. Our poor status was set by previous governments. Those that decide to cut monies to NHS year on year under the name of austerity. Our poorly prepared hospitals ICU, PPE and care homes that run on temporary staff. Those who took little notice of warnings from SARS and Mers. Those who developed models based on worst scenario’s rather than likely scenario and then scaremonger to gain positions.

The problem lies with poor decisions taken over decades and not being held to account. Not so much with those that took decisions, in crisis with limited options.

Scientific advice to French govt from 29 January has been quietly released. It called for a strict one-month confinement. For political reasons that was not done, in the belief a manageable "high plateau" of cases could be sustained despite variants.

Let's see how this works out for Macron.

If I was to lay blame, BJ would get a small %. Our poor status was set by previous governments. Those that decide to cut monies to NHS year on year under the name of austerity. Our poorly prepared hospitals ICU, PPE and care homes that run on temporary staff. Those who took little notice of warnings from SARS and Mers. Those who developed models based on worst scenario’s rather than likely scenario and then scaremonger to gain positions.

The problem lies with poor decisions taken over decades and not being held to account. Not so much with those that took decisions, in crisis with limited options.
Or maybe a large portion of the nation voted for a clown and got a clown.

He's not the only one to blame, of course, but his apologists are numerous, it seems.

Unbelievably ignorant viewpoint. You do realise that there has been the same government for the last 11yrs?

BJ was the one who decided not to close the borders - Not any previous government
BJ decided not the lock down the country when the rest of its neighbours were doing so - Not any previous government
BJ decided to remove restriction to early, twice - Not any previous government

Lol he refused to attend scenario planning, he refused to listen to scenario planning, he refused to listen to advice on lockdown, he refused to listen to advice on borders, he refused to listen to advise on the Kent variant, he refused to lockdown again until it was far too late so he could have soundbites over Christmas but yeah sure, tens of thousands dead because of him but definitely not his fault lmao

Lol he refused to attend scenario planning, he refused to listen to scenario planning, he refused to listen to advice on lockdown, he refused to listen to advice on borders, he refused to listen to advise on the Kent variant, he refused to lockdown again until it was far too late so he could have soundbites over Christmas but yeah sure, tens of thousands dead because of him but definitely not his fault lmao
Every aspect of this pandemic that Johnson has had prime responsibility for or made the decisions for have been disasters.

30,000 people died in January alone. That was after he dithered in September over a circuit breaker, then decided to open London up, against all advice, in December. He was so terrified of "Boris steals Christmas" headlines that he did the opposite of what every scientist was telling him and tens of thousands died because of it.

He killed tens of thousands by locking down a week too late. He has now acted too late three times and the result has been the same each time.

I cannot even begin to fathom the mentality that allows some people to coat Johnson in Teflon

Every aspect of this pandemic that Johnson has had prime responsibility for or made the decisions for have been disasters.

30,000 people died in January alone. That was after he dithered in September over a circuit breaker, then decided to open London up, against all advice, in December. He was so terrified of "Boris steals Christmas" headlines that he did the opposite of what every scientist was telling him and tens of thousands died because of it.

He killed tens of thousands by locking down a week too late. He has now acted too late three times and the result has been the same each time.

I cannot even begin to fathom the mentality that allows some people to coat Johnson in Teflon

It's really bizarre, if this was a Labour government I suspect they'd be under far more scrutiny.

Our consent rate is around 25%.

Was thinking on the way to work that Williamson has set the teachers up to fail here; there is talk that teachers will mark their students up; whether that will happen or not I have zero opinion, so if any teacher is being proper, and some kids get poor grades, do they then run a risk of stating that the lessons they gave were no good?

Also by saying that he's listened to the unions and the teachers, he is absolving himself from any blame in the future.
The actions of a coward from a minister not worthy of the name.

Last edited:
Was thinking on the way to work that Williamson has set the teachers up to fail here; there is talk that teachers will mark their students up; whether that will happen or not I have zero opinion, so if any teacher is being proper, do they then run a risk of stating that the lessons they gave were no good?
Also by saying that he's listened to the unions and the teachers, he is absolving himself from any blame in the future.
The actions of a coward from a minister not worthy of the name.

I’m not a fan of Williamson. Doesn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the box

Two headlines next to each other in today's paper...

The Queen: People who refuse vaccine should think of others, rather than themselves.

Angela Merkel refuses Oxford jab amid calls to 'lead by example'.

Scientific advice to French govt from 29 January has been quietly released. It called for a strict one-month confinement. For political reasons that was not done, in the belief a manageable "high plateau" of cases could be sustained despite variants.

Let's see how this works out for Macron.

It appears he [Macron] is beginning to feel some pressure; Marine Le Pen is breathing down his neck with looming elections and a real spectre hanging over The Élysée Palace that the tactical voting which has kept any Le Pen out of power previously, will not be enough this time. She is currently 2% points ahead in the polls. She is crap at the debates so this is not an insurmountable lead.

Speaking with people I know in the area where I am, they are getting increasingly peed off with Macron and the feeling it's all Paris-centric (sounding familiar) and if disputes (perceived or not) are not resolved over fishing rights, this could be a turbulent political 12 months in France. A lot of Brits live in France and the scepticism of vaccines generally has become a real talking point; Macro's name keeps cropping up as being instrumental in spreading the anti-vaxx message..

Macron has now announced he would take the AZ vaccine having previously told the largest anti-vaxx country in Europe that it doesn't work and may be dangerous.
A U-Turn which the UK Gov would be proud.

They also need tourism, France is the most visited country in the world and is massive to the economy; having an unvaccinated France may have a weary planet of tourists looking elsewhere in 2021.

Last edited: