Evans and Raynor | Page 7 | Vital Football

Evans and Raynor

Lee was subbed off at HT on Tuesday. Is he one that Evans is now saying is not good enough after our 'improved' performance 2nd half?
I wouldn’t read that into it personally.
I think he was just spouting off and letting the squad know that he’s not happy about the result.
Win at Pompey and they will all be world class 😂

You said...

I struggle to find 10 that I would deem to be a success.

Then you swiftly roll off the tongue 11 players...

Ogilvie, Oliver, Akinde,Graham,Dempsey, Bonham,O'keefe, Tucker, and of the loans only Lee, Jones, O'Connor I'd class as being a success.

You’re forgetting plenty of others. Roberts was exceptional last season. Slattery looks very good.

The last performance was not very good. And the game before, other than the result, was also poor.

But get some perspective.... The BFSE era has unquestionably been much better in terms of results. That is objective. Look at the league tables.

And, casting my mind back to some of the performances under SL and AP, the quality is also better... ...unless you’re Garmstam’s dad of course.

Can someone do a search for the last time that the term ‘bedwetter’ was used on this forum? I can’t recall it during BFSE’s reign! But maybe it’s time to bring it back to the fore.

You said...

Then you swiftly roll off the tongue 11 players...

You’re forgetting plenty of others. Roberts was exceptional last season. Slattery looks very good.

The last performance was not very good. And the game before, other than the result, was also poor.

But get some perspective.... The BFSE era has unquestionably been much better in terms of results. That is objective. Look at the league tables.

And, casting my mind back to some of the performances under SL and AP, the quality is also better... ...unless you’re Garmstam’s dad of course.

Can someone do a search for the last time that the term ‘bedwetter’ was used on this forum? I can’t recall it during BFSE’s reign! But maybe it’s time to bring it back to the fore.

It's what you deem a 'success' as a signing I guess. When SE has repeatedly said signings need to come in our make our starting XI stronger we haven't had to many of them this season IMO. Slattery does look good but he's only played 7 or 8 games, so you can't say that's a successful signing yet IMO.

SE win % is only just better than SL. Results have masked performances IMO under SE but I'm not sure whether crowds attending games would have made his job easier or harder.

FWIW SE has had difficult circumstances in his time here and without him as I've stated before I doubt we'd be in mid table but think we've become too one dimensional and predictable. Don't think we're as good or as organised this season as we were last with I'd argue some better individual talent this season.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t read that into it personally.
I think he was just spouting off and letting the squad know that he’s not happy about the result.
Win at Pompey and they will all be world class 😂
I'm not reading that, he's signed him twice. Just wish he wouldn't publicly slag the players off having dragged two of them off at HT. (accidental bold, can't turn it off!)

It's what you deem a 'success' as a signing I guess. When SE has repeatedly said signings need to come in our make our starting XI stronger we haven't had to many of them this season IMO. Slattery does look good but he's only played 7 or 8 games, so you can't say that's a successful signing yet IMO.

SE win % is only just better than SL. Results have masked performances IMO under SE but I'm not sure whether crowds attending games would have made his job easier or harder.
Well, that’s your opinion El Capitan and you’re entitled to it.
I happen to disagree and I think that Evans has bought the professionalism at the club to another level.

I'm not reading that, he's signed him twice. Just wish he wouldn't publicly slag the players off having dragged two of them off at HT. (accidental bold, can't turn it off!)

You need to speak with Tarian. He has a taken an advanced course on formatting.

Well, that’s your opinion El Capitan and you’re entitled to it.
I happen to disagree and I think that Evans has bought the professionalism at the club to another level.

Not convinced some of his quotes in that KOL article are very proffesional being aired in public or will help his cause with players. Yes in private, but normally a very slippery slope when managers start doing that in the press.

Not convinced some of his quotes in that KOL article are very proffesional being aired in public or will help his cause with players. Yes in private, but normally a very slippery slope when managers start doing that in the press.
It really does depend on the players reaction. If Tuesday's defeat is followed by a outstanding performance almost regardless of the result then Steve Evans can claim perhaps rightly that his public rollicking has worked. If the team changes make matters worse then you have to question the man in charge and weather he is making best use of his resources.

It really does depend on the players reaction. If Tuesday's defeat is followed by a outstanding performance almost regardless of the result then Steve Evans can claim perhaps rightly that his public rollicking has worked. If the team changes make matters worse then you have to question the man in charge and weather he is making best use of his resources.
I’d bet that there won’t be too many changes Chris, unless he intends starting Willock, Johnson and a few other fringe players.
Hardly likely.
One or two at the absolute most but probably the normal lineup.

James Morton - don't know, will see if I can find anything.

Been on the bench a few times, came on for the the last minute against Lincoln.

Last edited:
James Morton - don't know, will see if I can find anything.

Been on the bench a few times, came on for the the last minute against Lincoln.
Seemed a bit of a panic buy to fill the spaces on the bench, also another left sided option in a team of mainly right footed players.
Perhaps he will get a chance now, along with Johnson and perhaps Willock will be given another go .
Everyone else has played a fair amount of games, I'm not sure what Mcdonald or Mckenzie bring to the squad other than bodies to stick in midfield, they rarely seem to have any influence on the game.
Lee blows hot and cold, but if he doesn't score a goal he can be a bit of a passenger at times.
The thing is though would Evans risk making a load of changes for a fixture like Portsmouth away - it could end up being a hiding, and I doubt he'd trust them enough, one player though who could well start is O'Keefe as he knows what to expect from him.

If Evans goes do you think we can attract "better"?

How you define better is open to interpretation of course but part of me doesn't think we can. "lowest budget in the league" and that was before Covid put a spanner in the works.

Worth baring in mind that a typical interview might be more than 5 minutes and you don't actually know what question was asked. The paper has taken the individual comments that could be made most newsworthy.

I think there is a difference with being vague with "some of the players aren't good enough and will need replacing" and in interviews actually start to name names and throwing players under the bus. It'll be up the individual players to decide if Evans is referring to them and whether or not they try to up their game,

Fairly easy Colburn, just highlight the words with the mouse and then click on the B at the top left by the fonts

A fair article. But I strongly disagree on the issue of the Gillingham team playing behind closed doors at Priestfield has been detrimental to results. This is a young side and unfortunately having the crowd their would have increased nerves especially in defence and undoubtedly many would have got at defensive players and strikers alike this season. The clubs that would have been most affected by ground closures are those who have a big crowd and are doing well in the league anyway .The flip side is that teams doing poorly are also slightly benefiting from not having fans baying for blood .That could be part of the reason nobody is clear at the top or bottom this season.