Evans and Raynor | Page 6 | Vital Football

Evans and Raynor

With no particular reference to the present incumbents, it is very rare that I have regretted the departure of a manager. Sir Keith springs to mind, it's that unusual. Over time I amalmost able to anticipate what the team will do, how they will play, who will play and the drama wanes. It's a cruel occupation because I'm welcoming the new guy within hours.

What grates with me is the continual, by some, denigration of Lovell. He did a decent job and it's as though Evans is somehow the Messiah (he isn't he's a very naughty boy). Some of the football under Lovell towards the end wasn't great but neither is it under Evans. Some of the performances away were better. If I was at the ground for games now I cannot imagine the moans and groans of many of the performances this season but somehow no one is complaining. Ok we are not looking down so good enough. But only just IMO this season. Let's pack Priestfield was the cry last season to sell season tickets, I can't see people paying to watch this team when they can and that must give Scally food for thought. Ok SE seems to be able to attract a better quality of loan signing, e.g. the Arsenal lads and Robertson but why were they recalled only to be loaned out again in some cases? Concern about their development? So for me there are a number of questions marks so I think I would be just about voting for him to stay in a poll but my hand would be hovering over the paper before voting

I didn't want Steve Evans, I don't really care if he's with us next season or not.
When managers are changed with monotonous frequency it just becomes a case of "Next!".
In my Gills supporting formative years, the ones that have stood out were:
Andy Nelson- first manager, Gills could have done anything it was all about being with my mates.
Gerry Summers- we played some great football under him while the team improved year on year until the last season (Oct 1975 to May 1981 thanks wikipedia)
Keith Peacock-things just got better and better not called Sir Keith for nothing July 1981 to Dec 1987)
and finally
Peter Taylor- I never though I would see a Gills team not just compete with a Div 1 (premiership) side but to play two of them off the park. This was the stuff of dreams, and of course taking us to the promised land helps.

Notable absentees Tony Pullis- June 1995 -June 1999. Had stacks of money to buy some excellent players (see Peter Taylor above) and yet the beautiful game seemed to pass us by.
Andy Hessenthaler June 2000-November 2004 did well on a diminishing budget which finally caused our relegation.

The key thing for me is that both Gerry Summers and Sir Keith were given time to build sides. Tony Pullis was given time and money to build sides.
Gills managers today seem to be given neither.

Next!

Good to see SE is outing the players again. Slippery slope. Not one mention of his team selection being wrong, shit tactics and seemingly forgetting all these players that are now "not good enough" were signed by him. Try coaching these fucking players to make them better individually and collectively rather than just spinning the revolving door again. These are players SE deemed good enough to sign, so what's to say the next lot you sign will be good enough?

Beginning to wonder if his time here is done.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...-planning-changes-for-portsmouth-trip-242988/

Last edited:
Good to see SE is outing the players again. Slippery slope. Not one mention of his team selection being wrong, shit tactics and seemingly forgetting all these players that are now "not good enough" were signed by him. Try coaching these fucking players to make them better individually and collectively rather than just spinning the revolving door again. These are players SE deemed good enough to sign, so what's to say the next lot you sign will be good enough?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...-planning-changes-for-portsmouth-trip-242988/
Captain this has been my whole point all along with him and Rayner - very poor coach

Very honest by Evans, publicly admitting that his recruitment has fallen short.
If he is still at Gills next season, expect a lot more new faces.
I have no idea how many are out of contract but by that statement, it would appear that not many will get offers.

Very honest by Evans, publicly admitting that his recruitment has fallen short.
If he is still at Gills next season, expect a lot more new faces.
I have no idea how many are out of contract but by that statement, it would appear that not many will get offers.

That article to me reads more like throwing the players under the bus. Not once in that article does his question his tactics or why the players have played/started so poorly in the first half of our last two games. SE has signed all the players that played on tuesday, if they're not good enough that is down to him, no-one else.

To just bin off players like he appears to be is alarming IMO. As I've already said, who is to say the next 15-20 players SE gets in will be deemed not good enough after a few weeks or months. He should be getting on the training pitch and making these players better individually and collectively, that includes being focused and prepared for match day, not just beginning them off. To say you can't get players focused says to me as a manager hes failed.

“If they are not good enough, it’s down to him” ?
Really ?

If they are not good enough, it’s down to their own ability.
What is down to him is recruiting players who are not good enough.
A totally different concept.

“If they are not good enough, it’s down to him” ?
Really ?

If they are not good enough, it’s down to their own ability.
What is down to him is recruiting players who are not good enough.
A totally different concept.

It's down to him as he recruited them. It's called due dilligence when signing a player. When SE came in at the first fans forum he stated that recruitment "was key" and you have to get it right when you have a tight a budget as we do.

SE says in the article it's about focus, is it not a managers job to get the team focused and properly prepared for a game?.

What SE is basically saying in the last two games is that he's picked a starting XI that either wasn't good enough or focused enough. That stops with the manager IMO when they're players he's recruited.

IMO there have been far more issues in our performances from a tactics , formation and team selection point of view over the last two games than players focus or being good enough.

To use SE quote, how many players have we played in our back four this season yet still we don't have a solid, cohesive organised defence.

The basic fact is we simply have not got the funds for any mistakes. That's what Evans himself has said .Mistakes have been made that has to be excepted by even the most died hard Evans supporter.With the lack of movement and fire power up top .Mainly due to Samuel's injury and lack of funds.inexperience at the back and the mistake at right back in my view. It leaves the midfield even if they play well trying to cover for faults elsewhere. That is something they are simply not able to do .My solution would be to play at five at the back with Jackson and O'Connor at wing backs or five in midfield.Akindie or Oliver will probably have to be left out to make room.

SE's 'its never my fault' attitude shows again
first ever interview he didnt mention 'lowest budget' or did I block that out

He cant 'bollock' the players to any effect at half-time or after game, as he's shouting and swearing at them (and everyone else) all the time, so the players just ignore him. Also we have 'journeymen' players with no feeling for the Club as they know they're here today gone tomorrow, so shrug off poor performance as 'a bad day at the office' (the excuse I hate the most)

I think he's turned Tucker into a 'rabbit in the headlights' by his criticism and intimidation (after the ridiculous hyping up he gave him to try to attract an offer last summer). Several of the young loanees looked promising at first and all went downhill under the Evans intimidation when they needed encouragement and arm round the shoulder - different people need diff strokes!

Please go!

I'm getting tired of it now ' anyone in the league would be worried if we played like we did 2nd half'. One shot on target? They must be quaking in their boots. It's not the first game we've been poor first half and blaming the players publicly is not helpful but I don't expect too many changes Saturday. Big clear out end of season of course and another merry go round if he's still here with a different set of players to shout at

I'm getting tired of it now ' anyone in the league would be worried if we played like we did 2nd half'. One shot on target? They must be quaking in their boots. It's not the first game we've been poor first half and blaming the players publicly is not helpful but I don't expect too many changes Saturday. Big clear out end of season of course and another merry go round if he's still here with a different set of players to shout at
More than likely a different management team and different players.
I really can’t see Evans staying here, even if offered a new deal.
Bowyer is nailed on for the sack so he may well move up the road.
This season is pretty much over after Tuesday’s defeat.
There is no point in doing anything now regarding either the management or the players.
Hopefully Scally is already preparing for next season and the return of crowds.

Last edited:
More than likely a different management team and different players.
I really can’t see Evans staying here, even if offered a new deal.
Bowyer is nailed on for the sack so he may well move up the road.
This season is pretty much over after Tuesday’s defeat.
There is no point in doing anything now regarding either the management or the players.
Hopefully Scally is already preparing for next season and the return of crowds.
My own gut feeling based on passed Scally is that Scally really wanted Evans so will have no plans to replace him.He will believe that Evans and Raynor will sign new deals.i would be very surprised if Scally has even thought about anyone else.Unless of course he and Evans have had words already.

I seem to recall a stat a while ago that suggested that only about a third of transfers/signings on average can be deemed successful.

A manager who is able to attract players like Dempsey, Samuel and Jordan deserves respect IMO.

I seem to recall a stat a while ago that suggested that only about a third of transfers/signings on average can be deemed successful.

A manager who is able to attract players like Dempsey, Samuel and Jordan deserves respect IMO.

That sounds about right. SE has made 35 signings (both loan and permanent) in his time here. I struggle to find 10 that I would deem to be a success.

Ogilvie, Oliver, Akinde,Graham,Dempsey, Bonham,O'keefe, Tucker, and of the loans only Lee, Jones, O'Connor I'd class as being a success.

*Akinde only gets in on his goals over the last month.

That sounds about right. SE has made 35 signings (both loan and permanent) in his time here. I struggle to find 10 that I would deem to be a success.

Ogilvie, Oliver, Akinde,Graham,Dempsey, Bonham,O'keefe, Tucker, and of the loans only Lee, Jones, O'Connor I'd class as being a success.

*Akinde only gets in on his goals over the last month.
Probably add Slattery to the list but I’d drop big John from it.
Akinde has disappointed since day one for me.
Sure he’s got a few recently but overall, he’s looked like he couldn’t be bothered.
Maybe the fact that his contract runs out in June has ‘motivated’ him.

Lee was subbed off at HT on Tuesday. Is he one that Evans is now saying is not good enough after our 'improved' performance 2nd half?