Unabomber (Non-Gills) FAO Buddha | Vital Football

Unabomber (Non-Gills) FAO Buddha

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
Bud,

Watched the dramatisation on netflix about the US Unabomber - Ted Kaczynski. An excellent series, but it made me think of you, not that I am suggesting you remind me of a mental mass murderer/terroist.... but his views, and the paper he was famous for writing was very much a nature centred anarchist argument - a subject we've heard you talk of for years - although i do feel your views have somewhat mellowed (or at least you dont blurb on to us permenantly about it as much).

I know you are fairly well read with subjects that interest you, so i was wondering if you've seen this guys work, and is it worth reading? Have you seen the netflix series? Would reading it be immoral, given what he did to ensure it was read/famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

Hi AK.

There are a couple of things on Netflix about Kaczynski but I've only seen one of them. Before watching it I had heard of the 'Unabomber' but knew nothing about him or the extent of his crimes. I'm not sure if we've watched the same thing or not. The one I watched was a series and it was more of a documentary than a dramatisation, it includes footage of Kaczynski being interviewed from inside prison.

I'm relieved that I don't remind of you of a mental mass murderer/terrorist! I understand what you're saying though, I think, with regard to Kacznski's critique and rejection of capitalism/technological society perhaps reminding you of some of the things I might have said. It does seem that in that respect (and that respect only!) there could be some common ground between him and I. But I've only seen the Netflix thing so I don't really know if there is or not. I suppose to really know, I'd have to read his manifesto.

I don't think it would be immoral to read Kaczynski's manifesto. Not at all. It's not immoral to read Mein Kampf, is it? If you want to read it, or any of the other stuff he's written (there's lots!), it's available at the online anarchist library.

But I think you have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth reading it. After watching the programme I thought I might. I even had a brief look at it. Thing is, it's quite long and the author is a mad fucker who maimed and killed loads of innocent people. And personally, I think I've got much better things to do with my time than read his stuff. Even if it turns out that there are parts of his critique of society with which I wholeheartedly concur, I'm never gonna agree that bombing innocent people is the way to solve things.

It does seem that Kazynski was possibly a but emotionally fucked up as a child but had a high intellect. It seems that he could see, even in the early 1960s, how the natural world was being destroyed by the 'system'. I completely understand the desire he had to live off-grid in the first place (unless you believe it was always his intention to kill). But it seems that his disillusionment with society and his isolation fucked him up further, and turned him into a mass murderer/terrorist. Perhaps if he'd lived in a community of like-minded individuals he might not have gone insane and started killing?

But I don't have any sympathy for him. And I don't have any respect for the few anarchists who attempt to defend him.

What do you think?

Hi AK.

There are a couple of things on Netflix about Kaczynski but I've only seen one of them. Before watching it I had heard of the 'Unabomber' but knew nothing about him or the extent of his crimes. I'm not sure if we've watched the same thing or not. The one I watched was a series and it was more of a documentary than a dramatisation, it includes footage of Kaczynski being interviewed from inside prison.

I'm relieved that I don't remind of you of a mental mass murderer/terrorist! I understand what you're saying though, I think, with regard to Kacznski's critique and rejection of capitalism/technological society perhaps reminding you of some of the things I might have said. It does seem that in that respect (and that respect only!) there could be some common ground between him and I. But I've only seen the Netflix thing so I don't really know if there is or not. I suppose to really know, I'd have to read his manifesto.

I don't think it would be immoral to read Kaczynski's manifesto. Not at all. It's not immoral to read Mein Kampf, is it? If you want to read it, or any of the other stuff he's written (there's lots!), it's available at the online anarchist library.

But I think you have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth reading it. After watching the programme I thought I might. I even had a brief look at it. Thing is, it's quite long and the author is a mad fucker who maimed and killed loads of innocent people. And personally, I think I've got much better things to do with my time than read his stuff. Even if it turns out that there are parts of his critique of society with which I wholeheartedly concur, I'm never gonna agree that bombing innocent people is the way to solve things.

It does seem that Kazynski was possibly a but emotionally fucked up as a child but had a high intellect. It seems that he could see, even in the early 1960s, how the natural world was being destroyed by the 'system'. I completely understand the desire he had to live off-grid in the first place (unless you believe it was always his intention to kill). But it seems that his disillusionment with society and his isolation fucked him up further, and turned him into a mass murderer/terrorist. Perhaps if he'd lived in a community of like-minded individuals he might not have gone insane and started killing?

But I don't have any sympathy for him. And I don't have any respect for the few anarchists who attempt to defend him.

What do you think?

spot on.