Under 23s | Page 3 | Vital Football

Under 23s

Speaking of young players I was thinking the other day of all the good youngsters we have produced, but when and who was the last striker we had that came through and made an impression in the 1st team. I can recall Bamford of course, but we got only financial benefit from him as he was sold off before breaking through, but I cannot think of anyone since Marlon Harewood who actually came through and made an impact, or am I forgetting someone
No forest youth striker has brought in as much money as Brereton

Speaking of young players I was thinking the other day of all the good youngsters we have produced, but when and who was the last striker we had that came through and made an impression in the 1st team. I can recall Bamford of course, but we got only financial benefit from him as he was sold off before breaking through, but I cannot think of anyone since Marlon Harewood who actually came through and made an impact, or am I forgetting someone
Contrary to some views, we don't really give many youngsters a proper chance. The 3 or 4 weve had in recent years is probabaly on a par with any other championship club, Id suspect less than most in fact.

Of course this coincides with the turnover of managers and lack of long term strategy and recruitment and the misguided belief that older players are better as weve all moaned about

The second half was tremendous; proper end to end football which was as good as you will get at this level, and quite fitting that it was first playing second in the table.

Sheffield United came storming back into the game straight after the break with wave after wave of attack, and, just after it looked like we had weathered the storm, they scored from a really well worked goal.

The left back cut in towards the box, and exchanged passes before hitting a good shot into the far corner which gave George Shelvey no chance.

United were well on top at this point but the goal did little more than spark an excellent revival.

A well worked move through the centre found Baba Ferndandez (centre half!) out on the left; he waltzed round the full back before pulling the ball back for Dekel Daks to score, 1 - 1

And with five minutes remaining, Gibson Hammond, who was played through with an inch perfect pass from Josh Barnes, calmly put the ball past the keeper.

The commentary team gave Gibson Hammond man of the match, who played well; there was only one candidate for me, Fin Back.

This kid has all the attributes to be a good player; athletic, gets up and down the pitch well, good passer of the ball, good positional awareness, strong in the tackle and good in the air, and he has that one commodity all good defenders need, a nasty streak.

As far as money spent on watching football is concerned, that is the best £4 I have spent this year.

Thanks for the report, Mao.

Good to know what talent we've got coming through. Almost tempted to pay £4 to watch!

The Under 23's suffered only their second defeat of the season when going down by 2 goals to 1 at home to an in form Wigan side.

Both teams had a very youthful look about them, giving game time to members of their under 18 squads.

The Forest team was missing the services of both Ateef Konate and Marcelo Saraiva, two incredibly talented individuals; their absence sparked immediate Twitter rumours suggesting they are in line for an appearance in the first team squad on Saturday.

Saraiva arrived at the Club in December when he was signed from Brazilian Club Internacional; the 18 year old is very highly thought of and has already won two caps for the Guatemalan National side.

His transfer resulted in quite a stir back home, when the Guatemalan equivalent of Strictly was interrupted with a News Flash announcing the transfer.

Details of the game are not at hand, but it looks like things did not go our way - Julien Larsson was substituted with injury after 16 minutes, and Yassine En Neyah after 41 minutes; to add insult to injury Riley Harbottle was sent off late into the second half.

Centre Half, Baba Fernandes netted for the Reds

Thanks for great up date. Any thoughts as to why Saraiva and Konate were once again missing. Always feel game time at that age is paramount. Can’t Imagine either is close to playing at Roverham or Derby. Whatever, sounds like replacements did a good job.

Contrary to some views, we don't really give many youngsters a proper chance. The 3 or 4 weve had in recent years is probabaly on a par with any other championship club, Id suspect less than most in fact.

Of course this coincides with the turnover of managers and lack of long term strategy and recruitment and the misguided belief that older players are better as weve all moaned about

Does highlight what stability can bring. Hopefully we have found some and can start to polish a few gems in the first team.

I think we do give the youngsters a proper chance; what you need to take into account is the huge gap between the U23's and the first team.

We are currently at a big disadvantage due to only having Cat 2, which means our youngsters are playing against far weaker opposition that the teams in Cat1.

Derby, for example, appear to have more players coming through than we do; I would guess that is down to their youngsters facing better opposition week in week out.

Ours take longer to develop as a result and end up taking that extra step an end up going out on loan.

When you consider that our U23s consist of players in the 18/19/20 age bracket you can see that we have probably reached a peak in what we can currently achieve; we need that improved competition that Cat 1 will bring.

I think we do give the youngsters a proper chance; what you need to take into account is the huge gap between the U23's and the first team.

We are currently at a big disadvantage due to only having Cat 2, which means our youngsters are playing against far weaker opposition that the teams in Cat1.

Derby, for example, appear to have more players coming through than we do; I would guess that is down to their youngsters facing better opposition week in week out.

Ours take longer to develop as a result and end up taking that extra step an end up going out on loan.

When you consider that our U23s consist of players in the 18/19/20 age bracket you can see that we have probably reached a peak in what we can currently achieve; we need that improved competition that Cat 1 will bring.

I probably should have said stability and a cat1 academy

No forest youth striker has brought in as much money as Brereton
Yes agreed Brereton did bring in a tidy sum, but he was never a prolific scorer for us (possibly because he wasn't always played up front, and he certainly hasn't been very prolific at Blackburn.
It's just that I was wondering why we haven't produced a decent striker who has made into the 1st team and been a regular scorer, when we have produced defenders Dawson: lascelles, Worrall Cash, midielderes, Jenas, Reid, Prutton etc. I can only think of Harewood in the last 20 years or so. I suppose Bamford would have made it if he hadn't had to be sold to ease financial issues

Based on his performances and form over the last few seasons, Bamford would have been right up there but how many seasons has it taken him to grow up. Brereton may well be the same. Applause was a forward to wasn’t he? And Olly Burke was a winger/forward too.

All told we have not done too badly on the forwards front albeit for one reason or another they have been sold rather than producing on the pitch for us.

Based on his performances and form over the last few seasons, Bamford would have been right up there but how many seasons has it taken him to grow up. Brereton may well be the same. Applause was a forward to wasn’t he? And Olly Burke was a winger/forward too.

All told we have not done too badly on the forwards front albeit for one reason or another they have been sold rather than producing on the pitch for us.

U mean appiah and think he was a striker or.maybe another winger

Think Ive had that discussion with someone else, forgive me forgetting who it was just now, Old Red I think. I dont buy too much into the not developed enough yet arguements, you can only play whos in front of you and if you look good and win games, youre quite possibly good enough, Sure they need time against better opposition, tho its debateable that playing against chelsea u23's is easier than half the championship sides so they might as well learn in our league. It aint that great lets be realistic, quality isnt in abundance

We had Walker that I rated.. He was in and out of the side constantly, never got a run of games. Scored about 7 in 45 which was hardly prolific but then Grabs poss has scored similar in the last 45 even now. Hed scored loads at u23's, scored loads out on loan, has scored more for coventry than our forwards.
So he may not be the next premiership player but for a championship club like us and one of our own we could have played him more,... but then like most strikers he wants to play in a front 2

Apparently Blackburn will be scaling back to cat 2 because they don't feel it gives value for money.

Apparently Blackburn will be scaling back to cat 2 because they don't feel it gives value for money.

There are a number of issues at Blackburn.

They operate in a very congested area; they may feel that they are not attracting the players expected for the investment being put in.

There is also the fact that the Venkey's are having to sell the training complex where their Academy is located to raise funds.

They may not have sufficient funds left over to build another Academy which complies with Cat 1 criteria.

There are a number of issues at Blackburn.

They operate in a very congested area; they may feel that they are not attracting the players expected for the investment being put in.

There is also the fact that the Venkey's are having to sell the training complex where their Academy is located to raise funds.

They may not have sufficient funds left over to build another Academy which complies with Cat 1 criteria.

Oh there are absolutely loads of issues there, most think it's a smokescreen. Just thought I'd mention it.