Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town

I would have thought most players are capable of calling heads or tails.

Good teams have plenty of players that want to lead the way, poor teams have plenty of followers.
Captain also gets certain privileges on talking to the ref, Bridcutt is very good at it. If fit, I'd give it to Jackson.

Five games at home in the next seven - time to dig in and eek out those home wins starting tonight.
Then three games against mid-table Fleetwood, Crewe, Gillingham plus relegation-threatened Rochdale. If we could reach close to 70 points by then...

Oh yes I missed Gillingham. 5 out 7 at home blimey. Nice to gain some time back with a bit less travelling too I guess.

Oh yes I missed Gillingham. 5 out 7 at home blimey. Nice to gain some time back with a bit less travelling too I guess.
One compensation for this batch of 2 games a week is most are at home. Plymouth this Saturday is a long trek and presumably an overnight on Friday, but after that just Ipswich one Tuesday then Sunderland before a much needed midweek off.

Five games at home in the next seven - time to dig in and eek out those home wins starting tonight.
Then three games against mid-table Fleetwood, Crewe, Gillingham plus relegation-threatened Rochdale. If we could reach close to 70 points by then...

For comparison, Peterborough play six times in this period - three home/three away. Trips to Plymouth and Oxford and home games against Hull and Portsmouth. They also play away at Blackpool on 23rd March when we have a midweek off.
Notice their run in is Charlton (A), Doncaster (H), Lincoln (H), Doncaster again (A)

If we want automatic promotion, this is a must win tonight.

Even utilising the squad we should be expecting to beat Swindon.

Absolutely, if we win all our remaining games it’s Hasta La Vista baby to this league and hello to playing another NE giant with our pub team outfit next season..........

Newcastle!
Now that would be the dream for me. My brother in law is a Mag. season ticket holder since the 1970's and the joy he has taken from Sunderland having to play us is unbridled.

In fact my Nephew came to the home win v Sunderland last year and probably cheered louder than most Imps fans when we scored our goals.

I cannot even begin to imagine the purgatory he/they will go through if we somehow end up in the same division.

Its the home games that worry me. We are superb away from home, but we aren't the same side at home - especially if its a lower table team that sits back.

Our best football is on a quick break, just like that excellent second goal on Saturday. We don't seem to have the same opportunities at home to do that.

We need to get a home run started tonight. Even with the injuries, we have shown in the Papa John that we can still put out a really good starting 11 that can perform.

Just doesn't work like that.

It's like saying if we can't manage a draw at home to Bristol Rovers or Shrewsbury how are we ever going to get in the top six.

It does work like that.

Those were much earlier on in the season. The league has taken shape now and we need to be beating a Swindon team which is fairly poor.

If we miss out on automatic promotion by 2 points and we draw tonight, we’d be looking back on these kind of games and saying we should have won it.

I would agree with this statement. It's a should win game but not a must win game.

Agree, could have said it earlier in the season when we lost to the Gas at home, or drawn with the Posh. Still a lot games and points to be won and dropped till the end of the season, for all teams.

Its the home games that worry me. We are superb away from home, but we aren't the same side at home - especially if its a lower table team that sits back.

Our best football is on a quick break, just like that excellent second goal on Saturday. We don't seem to have the same opportunities at home to do that.

We need to get a home run started tonight. Even with the injuries, we have shown in the Papa John that we can still put out a really good starting 11 that can perform.
I think it is important in our home games to get the first goal and early. This then opens up the play to allow us to hit them on the break

I'd like to see us reach at least 77 points over the next 7 games.

I think it is important in our home games to get the first goal and early. This then opens up the play to allow us to hit them on the break

I think that home stats back that up https://www.soccerstats.com/firstgoal.asp?league=england3

Scored first: W7 D0 L1
Concede first: W1 D2 L4

Although I don't think those stats are particularly out of line. The first goal's important for most teams.

It's clear though we've conceded the first goal at home more often than away (7 times at home vs 3 times away).

Last edited: