Joey Barton... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Joey Barton...

Forget that its Barton...How the fuck do you get experience or a pedigree if you dont get a chance to progress and develop? You say like our own man....he started with no experience and look at him now! Still managing in the lower reaches of the football league!

Yes, but surely if you're in Rovers' position, you want someone with some experience and nowse to get you out of it rather than a former Prem League player who has done diddly squat as a manager?

On a serious note I gather Barton had an extraordinarily tough childhood which may well explain his character. To that extent has has an excuse. There are aspects of him I admire.

However, to go to an extreme, Fred and Rosemary West suffered extraordinarily vile childhoods. Still wronguns whatever their excuse.

( obviously I'm not saying Barton is like the Wests, just saying a terrible childhood often shapes future behaviour and I gather Barton's was one of forced violence).

On a serious note I gather Barton had an extraordinarily tough childhood which may well explain his character. To that extent has has an excuse. There are aspects of him I admire.

However, to go to an extreme, Fred and Rosemary West suffered extraordinarily vile childhoods. Still wronguns whatever their excuse.

( obviously I'm not saying Barton is like the Wests, just saying a terrible childhood often shapes future behaviour and I gather Barton's was one of forced violence).

Indeed, very tough upbringing! Doesnt excuse him completely though! I thoroughly enjoyed reading his autobiography! Very good book and would recommend it! There is a bloody good interview with him on the clare balding show talking about his upbringing and his crime sheet! Its on you tube!

What's your excuse 58?:ROFLMAO:

The people I know who had shit childhoods used it as energy & motivation to make their fortunes broking in the City. None of them have ever committed a crime.

The people I know who had shit childhoods used it as energy & motivation to make their fortunes broking in the City. None of them have ever committed a crime.

Fair point and well done them! Got to be admired! I know he went to prison, but I dont think Joey Barton giving someone a slap for hitting a woman is a crime! The **** deserved it!

As I mentioned earlier, Barton is a controversial figure and, personally, I don`t care for him as a person.

But as a manager, Barton has been successful. According to the figures I saw, of the 128 games he`s had as a manager, he`s won 54, drawn 31 and lost 43. That`s a winning record.

At Fleetwood, he did a good job on the field and turned that club into a quality football team. He recruited wisely and got the best out of players - Fleetwood was VERY unlucky not to have been promoted to the Championship last season - they were a fine footballing side,but had one of those days at Wembley and lost to Wycombe.

Bristol Rovers are similar to Fleetwood in that they (now) appear to have sound financial backing. In truth, Bristol has better potential than Fleetwood, because of the crowd potential in that city. It`s understandable why Brizzle have taken him on, he might be a thoroughly unpleasant character, and there are plenty that fit that bill in UK football ownership and management, but there`s no denying he`s a successful manager.

Might well turn out to be a smart move by Bristol Rovers.

Are you Joey's Dad?

Edit: Didn't read the thread and Bromley beat me to it! haha

I have been a few players/ coaches dad on here and the old gills forum....

Apparently I was Steve Tilson’s dad when i wanted him as gills boss!
I was Lewis Montrose’s dad for defending him and now Joey Barton! 🙄

I know some good DNA companies 🙂

Thank you, but I think im good!
Pretty sure that when i became a dad in March 2013 at the age of 49 it was the first time!

Those drunken nights in your younger years may have given you more than a hangover... ☺️

Tilson- there's a blast from the past. He did well at Southend them seemingly vanished.

I thought Barton was a better player than some did and I feel the same way about him as a manager. I don't have to defend his entire life to say that and wouldn't try but I see more to like than condemn. He is rarely boring and has his own opinions which he is willing to defend. I don't think he pretends to be what he isn't, despite the dodgy Marseille accent. I'd guess that Barton used his background to get what he got out of football. If he hadn't won that battle and finally redeemed himself he'd likely have been dust. Good choice for Rovers.

Tilson- there's a blast from the past. He did well at Southend them seemingly vanished.

He was Lincoln City manager after Chris Sutton for a couple of seasons! He was on a short list of 2 with Martin Allen in 2012 for our vacancy!

Probably not old enough to be his dad, but are you in any way related to Dale Vince?

Probably not old enough to be his dad, but are you in any way related to Dale Vince?

No, I spent the best part of 3 years going down to watch Forest Green Rovers between 2016-19 while Scott Lindsey was assistant manager! Got to know the club very well and meet Dale a few times and love the fact the club are vegan, organic pitch, solar panels on the roof of the stands, love the idea the club is powered by the windmill on top of the hill! Its the greenest football club on the planet!