County Football/Lincolnshire Footballers | Vital Football

County Football/Lincolnshire Footballers

Spinimp

Vital Youth Team
Had a thought earlier today about what the outcome would be if every county had a football team, in a similar way to Cricket although players would only be allowed to play for the counties of their birth.

So Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and all the rest would compete against each other in a league.

This IS NOT a serious suggestion, more a conversation starter. Wanted to see how you all think Lincolnshire would do as a team.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one player playing in the Premier League currently who was born in Lincolnshire and that's Patrick Bamford.

This also raises another interesting point, why are there so few Lincolnshire born footballers who make it to the highest level? What disadvantage is there here compared to other counties?

I remember my dad telling me that when he joined the RAF in the war, and they were organising football matches, in the early days (ie until he could prove himself) he couldn't get in the team because they said he was only from Lincoln, so couldn't be any good!

Had a thought earlier today about what the outcome would be if every county had a football team, in a similar way to Cricket although players would only be allowed to play for the counties of their birth.

So Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and all the rest would compete against each other in a league.

This IS NOT a serious suggestion, more a conversation starter. Wanted to see how you all think Lincolnshire would do as a team.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one player playing in the Premier League currently who was born in Lincolnshire and that's Patrick Bamford.

This also raises another interesting point, why are there so few Lincolnshire born footballers who make it to the highest level? What disadvantage is there here compared to other counties?

Didn't know Bamford was a yellow belly.
But yes odd how few players from our county get to the top level.

I suppose to put it into context there aren’t that many English players full stop in the PL!

How many from our neighbours Norfolk for example ?

None this season, perhaps unsurprisingly the last Norfolk born footballer to play in the Premier League played for Norwich last season, Todd Cantwell.

So the same question could be asked about Norfolk really. Fairly low population density, alot of rural areas, lack of motorway network are all things Lincolnshire and Norfolk would have in common. However with Norwich having played regularly at a higher level and at the highest level very recently I am surprised it hasn't brought more local born players into the game.

I think born right by the ground in Scorer Street !

Yes, I think that's right. In my 1957 directory, Harry Troops lived at No.5 Scorer St and Jimmy Munro at No.11. They both left the club in 1958 and I suppose Roy Chapman would have moved into one of the houses before Lee was born in 1959.

I was born across the road at No.26.

Yes, I think that's right. In my 1957 directory, Harry Troops lived at No.5 Scorer St and Jimmy Munro at No.11. They both left the club in 1958 and I suppose Roy Chapman would have moved into one of the houses before Lee was born in 1959.

I was born across the road at No.26.

Oh cool !!
You should be given a free season ticket for life !!

I was wondering if they still have the the schoolboy representative teams in Lincoln and Lincolnshire where a lot of players in them days (70's) were picked up by pro clubs. Does anyone have any kids, grand kids playing for Lincoln boys or Lincolnshire.
I played for Lincoln boys from Under 12 to Under 16 and I remember playing for Lincolnshire at Under 15 and Under 18 and was in the England Schoolboy Squad at Under 15 but I didnt make the final team.
In the county team at Under 15 level we had Simon Garner from Boston who went on to play 500 games and I think is still Blackburns all time leading goalscorer with nearly 200 goals and Chris Woods also from Boston was our goalkeeper who signed for Forest and is still involved in the game today.