Wigan 8 Hull 0 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Wigan 8 Hull 0

Its about time Richardson and co started to dish out a few home truths to the players instead of coming out with bullshit excuses.

To be fair T&C, you've no idea if he does that .......behind closed doors. Very few managers worth their salt do it in public.

As for excuses, has he done that? He's reflected on our predicament maybe, but isn't he entitled to do that?

Richardson is saying he can't do any better as he simply doesn't have the staff to do the job - that is understandable if we were scraping the barrel to pay wages and were running a skeleton squad. But in context of what just happened in January that brings up more questions that answers.

Admin said we have money to run to the end of the season, we were rejecting decent money for players, we were offering new contracts, we got extra dispensation to bring in more players above our limit, Richards got all of the players he wanted except Grigg and they had the budget and willingness to do the deal but the player rejected. We brought in something like 10 new players in January - it doesn't add up that we had money to do all that but none for bare minimum coaching staff.

We've literally signed players to sit on the bench and pushed the boat out to get Grigg - surely a coaching staff would have been a higher priority? There will be loads of out of work coaches happy to come in for a short term deal and get back in the game rather than sitting at home earning nothing, they might not be big names or mates with current coaches but no doubt we could get people on board if needed to just help out who were competent. So if we are so short handed to the point we are incapable to preparing a team properly why has this only been brought up now and why hasn't it been addressed, even at the expense of a couple of players.

I imagine admin have a budget and if Richards said i want to bring in 3 coaches and 7 players rather than 10 new players they wouldn't care how the cash is spent as long as it fits within their numbers. I find it hard to believe admin would've refused to provide Richards with staff while happily providing the funds to bring in players in areas of the pitch we were already fully stocked in. No one would deny not having the hierarchy above him to support on recruitment is detrimental, but the first team coach, goal keeping coach, etc - that sounds like that was within his remit to do something about it.

Whatever the case, whoever's fault it is, it's absolutely unacceptable on all levels that this has happened and we should be looking to resolve that immediately. You can have the best side in the division but if you physically don't have the time, knowledge and personnel to prepare them properly then you might as well give up now. If we are struggling because Richardson signed badly, his players aren't good enough, he can't motivate his players, etc then it's not very good but fair enough - but to say we are struggling because we are doing without a minimum number of required coaches is beggars belief. I know we are in admin - but that was avoidable.

Last edited:
Are you classing this site as social media NZFC? If not, then fine, but if yes, then I disagree. This kind of forum is exactly the kind of place where fans should get stuff off their chest, rather than tagging in players on twitter or FB.

Agreed, these forums are the release valve for fans to vent their frustration without it going directly to the players.

Players shouldn't be searching the internet for their own name looking for praise if they have just lost 5-0 at home for the third time in the last couple of months - if they do you go searching for what people think they can only blame yourself if it upsets them. The issues come when players are no looking for what people think but are getting directly messaged with abuse.

If i was a player i wouldn't have any social media, or if i did i would have someone else manage it for me as even if you are playing well and doing loads of charity there will always be some folks who hate you for no reason. So imagine the abuse you get when you are doing badly. As much as we might not rate a player they aren't being rubbish on purpose and getting abuse is only going to make their already low confidence even lower. For every Naismith or Burn who bounce back bigger and stronger for the tough time there are probably 10 times as many players who collapse mentally and end up being even worse. It's a zero sum game for all parties, unfortunately some fans get so wound up they end up venting like that rather than on here.

, Richards got all of the players he wanted except Grigg and they had the budget and willingness to do the deal but the player rejected. We brought in something like 10 new players in January - it doesn't add up that we had money to do all that but none for bare minimum coaching staff.
I think an appropriate context would be that he got those he asked for once he'd established who would sign on such short term deals. I'm pretty certain he'd have wanted other players, but as we weren't going to offer them 3 year contracts, then they were non-starters.

I imagine admin have a budget and if Richards said i want to bring in 3 coaches and 7 players rather than 10 new players they wouldn't care how the cash is spent as long as it fits within their numbers. I find it hard to believe admin would've refused to provide Richards with staff while happily providing the funds to bring in players in areas of the pitch we were already fully stocked in. No one would deny not having the hierarchy above him to support on recruitment is detrimental, but the first team coach, goal keeping coach, etc - that sounds like that was within his remit to do something about it.

I doubt either Richardson or the Admins would want to bring in staff who might be sacked next week. If a new buyer gets the OK, then who's to say that Richardson (and any newly signed staff) wouldn't be out of the door immediately, to make way for a new manager and his own entourage.

If i was a player i wouldn't have any social media, or if i did i would have someone else manage it for me .
Remember KDZ, some of these lads are on a few hundred quid a week ......30 or 40k a year.

Not a terrible wage compared to the outside world, but not one that allows the hiring of a personal media assistant.

(On a plate for Hampton to tell us all about how Massey could hire a media assistant, a driver, a hairdresser, a masseuse and a butler for what he's being paid! ;))

When we was a Non-league Club, we met and talked to the players
before and after a match, either in the Supporters Club or the Pub and they
took the plaudits and criticism's on the chin without animosity.

Even on away matches we talked to the players, we were all in it together
and we had some great times mixing with the players, some of them were
very good drinkers and i got drunk on a few outings with them,
whether they won, drew or lost.

Sorry for drifting to 'Bygone Times'.

(On a plate for Hampton to tell us all about how Massey could hire a media assistant, a driver, a hairdresser, a masseuse and a butler for what he's being paid! ;))
He could, and I could but tbh can't be arsed mate. Flatter than an East stand pint atm 🙄

Interesting he says we’ve no goalkeeping coach as I asked this question recently. Not sure it excuses the keeping errors we’ve seen this season. No doubt Richardson and Ricoh are doing what they can and it’s admirable they’re still here doing it. Players however need to sometimes accept responsibility for their own performance levels as quite frankly lack off coaches is no excuses for some of the crap I’ve seen from the senior professionals.

Interesting he says we’ve no goalkeeping coach as I asked this question recently. Not sure it excuses the keeping errors we’ve seen this season. No doubt Richardson and Ricoh are doing what they can and it’s admirable they’re still here doing it. Players however need to sometimes accept responsibility for their own performance levels as quite frankly lack off coaches is no excuses for some of the crap I’ve seen from the senior professionals.

These players have been playing football at all levels for years, they have had
a lot of coaching in that time, if they can't play to a decent standard of football now, some of them never will.

When we was a Non-league Club, we met and talked to the players
before and after a match, either in the Supporters Club or the Pub and they
took the plaudits and criticism's on the chin without animosity.

Even on away matches we talked to the players, we were all in it together
and we had some great times mixing with the players, some of them were
very good drinkers and i got drunk on a few outings with them,
whether they won, drew or lost.

Sorry for drifting to 'Bygone Times'.

The thing is, most of the people criticising now, do so from the safety of anonymity. If they were to meet the players face to face they wouldn't come with most of the stuff they come out with.

The thing is, most of the people criticising now, do so from the safety of anonymity. If they were to meet the players face to face they wouldn't come with most of the stuff they come out with.

Do you want a bet? I know quite a few that would love to go face to face with the players.

Another thing is these lot masquerading as footballers these days are that far up their own arses they cant take criticism or cant be told anything because they think they know best.

I think an appropriate context would be that he got those he asked for once he'd established who would sign on such short term deals. I'm pretty certain he'd have wanted other players, but as we weren't going to offer them 3 year contracts, then they were non-starters.

I doubt either Richardson or the Admins would want to bring in staff who might be sacked next week. If a new buyer gets the OK, then who's to say that Richardson (and any newly signed staff) wouldn't be out of the door immediately, to make way for a new manager and his own entourage.

Remember KDZ, some of these lads are on a few hundred quid a week ......30 or 40k a year.

Not a terrible wage compared to the outside world, but not one that allows the hiring of a personal media assistant.

The point wasn't about who Richardson wanted more about the budget being available to recruit quite a lot of players - we aren't going without coaching staff because we can't afford them. If Richardson can't do his job with a lack of coaching staff which he is suggesting (and is understandable) then why would he or admin not try and make the situation better rather than just leave it as the mess Liam clearly thinks it is?

There must be about 20 lower league north west clubs who've changed their coaching staff multiple times in the last couple of years, each staff probably had 5 to 10 people with varying degrees of experience, not all of them will have found new clubs. There are bound to be plenty of out of work coaches who will live locally, currently earning nothing looking to get back into the game and could potentially do a job. I'm certain we could find 2 or 3 willing to come in on a short term month by month basis to earn some money rather than sitting at home doing nothing and hoping getting involved could lead to something beyond that.

There are always loads of recently retired players doing their badges and looking to get involved who would probably jump at the chance to get some genuine on ground experience.

We aren't likely going to be attracting big names, taking anyone from other clubs, anyone who has other options and may not be working with the best quality of coaching - but if Richarson says a lack of personnel is an issue i don't think there is any reason we just keep going without to such detriment. If Liam wants a CEO, Football director, head of recruitment, etc then he will unfortunately have to do without - but i don't believe a couple of coaches to help him is something unattainable.

Regarding social media, you wouldn't need a full time media assistant on there all the time. You could just get your agent / agency to check it for you intermittently and forward you anything that is worth looking at while deleting any abusive DMs. You could probably even get someone at the club to do it for you (in non admin times when we had staff).

To be fair we've seen it time and time again in football, it doesn't matter how good bad or indifferent players are ability wise - good or bad coaching completely transforms what they play like. Coaching is an ongoing fine tuning process - i think even if you took the best defence in the league who've been playing together all season and they missed a week of their normal sessions you'd start to see uncharacteristic errors creep in.

Some won’t remember them times. I can’t remember Ian McNeil having goal keeping coaches or Bryan Tyler. We are a league one club heading to league two unless we sort this mess out

So you are comparing a non league, part time setup from 45 years ago to a 3rd tier, full time outfit in the present day? Talk about comparing pears with apples.

Do you want a bet? I know quite a few that would love to go face to face with the players.

Another thing is these lot masquerading as footballers these days are that far up their own arses they cant take criticism or cant be told anything because they think they know best.

Of course you do. It doesn't matter what name you use. People see you for the fisherman you are.

To be fair we've seen it time and time again in football, it doesn't matter how good bad or indifferent players are ability wise - good or bad coaching completely transforms what they play like. Coaching is an ongoing fine tuning process - i think even if you took the best defence in the league who've been playing together all season and they missed a week of their normal sessions you'd start to see uncharacteristic errors creep in.
I agree KDZ on the fine tuning point though don't believe asking a keeper to occasionally leave his line or CBs to hit row Z when required or midfielders to get stuck in is fine tuning - these are fundamental requirements of a pro footballer and not sure why a coach would be needed for that.

It looks like the blind faith mob are getting upset by some of my posts, the truth hurts i suppose, i'll stop posting for a while and let them crack on in their own little make believe world.

Speak soon. :wave:

It looks like the blind faith mob are getting upset by some of my posts, the truth hurts i suppose, i'll stop posting for a while and let them crack on in their own little make believe world.

Speak soon. :wave:

Is this the Vital version of the Masked Singer?.

Bye Sausage. ......... or rather, au revoir.

;)

Was we not full time under Ian McNeil. Correct me if I’m wrong sure at Hereford first game we were and a few times in none league we were full time pro as well

The last 18 months under McNeill we were but not in his first spell or when Tiler was here or most of McNeills 2nd stint. We were part time in non league. Micky Worswick wouldn't give up his job because it was too late in his career and Frank Corrigan was in two minds as it meant an overall pay cut but went for it anyway.