Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

The Sunderland fans on their messageboard seem to think Wyke & McGeady will both be rested tonight, as they see Saturday's game with bogey side Burton as far more important .... lets hope so?

Aren't Sunderland a bit of a bogey team to us at the minute mate.
One things for sure which ever players start for us we have got to come out all guns blazing. We cant afford 45 minutes of the Accrington performance else I would expect the game to be gone.
If we at the races from minute 1 we are the best team and will win but we need that consistency in all our performances which as we all know is much easier said than done.

I’ll be surprised (pleasantly) if Wyke & McGeady are rested with the form they’re in and the prospect of a Wembley final/silverware. Maybe on the bench to bring on if Johnson thinks they could swing the match.
both on the bench in the three rounds johnson has been manager, and just as you say, both came on after 60-70 mins in each game.

Aren't Sunderland a bit of a bogey team to us at the minute mate.
One things for sure which ever players start for us we have got to come out all guns blazing. We cant afford 45 minutes of the Accrington performance else I would expect the game to be gone.
If we at the races from minute 1 we are the best team and will win but we need that consistency in all our performances which as we all know is much easier said than done.
a chance tonight to show we can deal with sunderland a bit better than the last time. in a similar way that we improved our effort against portsmouth from the home game (outplayed) to the away game (played superbly).

Is talking about a diversion, a diversion?

If Brennan Johnson takes a dive in the penalty area and no-one sees it, is it really a dive? It’s these philosophical debates that I log on for.

You mean the old Schrodinger's dive conundrum. For those interested in such things I believe silence from Evans on Akinde's penalty theatrics last night may point to a new variant 'the Evans dive conundrum' where if it goes for you it doesn't count as simulation.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12220265/gillingham-1-3-peterborough

Last edited:
If Wyke plays then perhaps we will have Walsh and Jackson at the back to keep tight to him, no disrespect to Lewis.

Both us and Sunderland will see this as a huge chance to win some silverware and should be playing their best teams tonight.
You don't win many trophies as either a manager or player so you have to give yourselves the very best opportunity

If the McGeady and Wyke partnership play, our right hand side will need to stop the crosses coming in. If they do, the likes of Walsh will need to be on top of his game to stop Wyke getting his full head on the ball.

I think we should put our best side out, Lincoln have only ever been to Wembley once before and are one win away from a second performance there. I agree with Luke imps previous post on the team.

35 pages and 3 major (10+ posts each) diversions to off-topic themes is my prediction for this thread. As to the score I'm sorry I haven't a clue!

Is this game pizza trophy? Won't be as many as the Accy game then. All those boycotters. I'm only reading the pre-match. :wagging: :Fingers:

Last edited:
with tonight and shrodinger in mind, if a blackcat goes down in the 18yard-sized box, the ref is aware no one could possibly have touched the damn cat.