82/83 Comparisons | Page 8 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

The directors at the time had no money of their own to fund the losses, took all the heat, some of which were disgusting personal threats and damage to their property, but I thought at the time, and still do, that Murphy wrecked that promotion charge himself.

I think he got off lightly to be honest ....... Murph performed miracles to get us even close.

And Murph spent the next couple of years saying that he could get us promoted "easy" if he had the money to spend. He later did, with Southend and I think Notts. (with Tommo in tow).

26 games gone, and only 2 points difference between the two campaigns.

Back then a 1-1 draw at Brisbane Road v Orient with Philip Neale scoring in front of 2,583 .... a top 4 clash with improving Portsmouth up next under the Sinny Bank floodlights.

26.jpg

Back then a 1-1 draw at Brisbane Road v Orient with Philip Neale scoring in front of 2,583 .... a top 4 clash with improving Portsmouth up next under the Sinny Bank floodlights.

View attachment 46026
and we all know how that Portsmouth game ended! Without looking it up I'm going to call it as a 0-3 home defeat. I vividly remember after the game saying, "It's alright we'll still go up". Oh the confidence and naivety of youth.

View attachment 46026
In 1982-83 we only got one more point in the next 5 games. It was not until match 32 that we picked up another win (2-1 v Brentford). We finished this season in 6th with 76 points. We only picked up 22 points from the last 20 matches.

In 1982-83 we only got one more point in the next 5 games. It was not until match 32 that we picked up another win (2-1 v Brentford). We finished this season in 6th with 76 points. We only picked up 22 points from the last 20 matches.
How did we do in the play-offs?

Went to Brentford game, about 3500 there, Cockerill and Bell scored.
Think it was the first game after Blades and co resigned.

Going back to the support back in the early eighties finance was one of the biggest reasons for a fall off.
I don't want to use old fashioned clichés but the fact was that the fan mix then was totally different to today. The vast majority of fans were working class not the mix across society they are today. It was the Thatcher years the main employment was engineering factories in Lincoln. Thatchers policies totally decimated the industry in Lincoln.
I know from bitter experience myself , I was made redundant from Bucyrus with a wife and young daughter to feed. There wasn't the aid available then from the state there is now or large redundancy payments to live on. They even threatened to cut my electricity off until my Father god bless him scraped enough together to pay the bill.
Although being a massive imps fan every penny counted and my last thought was going to a match I needed to provide for my family first. I am sure there were plenty more like me.

Going back to the support back in the early eighties finance was one of the biggest reasons for a fall off.
I don't want to use old fashioned clichés but the fact was that the fan mix then was totally different to today. The vast majority of fans were working class not the mix across society they are today. It was the Thatcher years the main employment was engineering factories in Lincoln. Thatchers policies totally decimated the industry in Lincoln.
I know from bitter experience myself , I was made redundant from Bucyrus with a wife and young daughter to feed. There wasn't the aid available then from the state there is now or large redundancy payments to live on. They even threatened to cut my electricity off until my Father god bless him scraped enough together to pay the bill.
Although being a massive imps fan every penny counted and my last thought was going to a match I needed to provide for my family first. I am sure there were plenty more like me.
I remember at one point around that time, the club were allowing free or subsidised entry to quite a few games for people that were unemployed. I can't remember exactly which seasons but it was early to mid 1980's.

27 games gone, the difference between the two eras is just a single point now.

Back then a 0-3 spanking by Pompey was a shock to the system to 6,311 with a good 800 or so from the south coast (no tickertape this time though)

Steve Thommo was a big miss in central defence as Biley & Rafferty caused havoc. A local derby away at Belle Vue to relegation threatened Donny Rovers awaited with a chance to get back on track .... a bit like Saturday's trip to Wigan you might say?

27.jpg

Bell, Hobson,Shipley and Cockerill all got double figures that season I think?
Bell got 23 didn't he?