Flag in the Corner | Page 2 | Vital Football

Flag in the Corner

Both tory and Labour now utilising the union jack for marketing purposes. That was overdone commercially in the 60s and rather diluted the brand. I have only ever flown a Gills flag and find all other flag waving faintly ridiculous. Interesting to find out how many would plump for the flag of St George if asked.

FFS - you lot must all be on a wind up or have no f******* idea of how the union flag is made up. I'll give you the benefit of a whooosh and not your ignorance :oops:

Why does the Union Flag still have the part that is red saltire flag of St Patrick then ?

Not being argumentative, but Ireland is no longer part of the United Kingdom but we kept their bit in the Union Flag.

The Welsh must be really pished off by not having their bit in there, although historically the St George Cross was used to signify England and Wales.

Bring back St Edmund, his day celebrated 20th November.

Class thing. Overt private displays of patriotism on all sorts of occasions thought of as vulgar by our betters whom our middle class ape in spite of everything. Sort of thing the Yanks would do. Now our betters are broke, everyone claims to be ordinary, and up go the flags. I’m with Jo. Gills flag’s enough for me. But our Old Flag can bring a tear to the eye on occasions when abroad or coming home.

Both tory and Labour now utilising the union jack for marketing purposes. That was overdone commercially in the 60s and rather diluted the brand. I have only ever flown a Gills flag and find all other flag waving faintly ridiculous. Interesting to find out how many would plump for the flag of St George if asked.

I have a flag pole outside of my property. The 5' by 3' Invicta Flag is the staple for most of the year, but on special occasions, either national events of sporting occasions, the 10' 6' Unions Flag or George Cross come out. I also have a forces flag for remembrance day, VE day and the like. I have a Gills flag, but as I've been at this property for 7 years, I've never had a reason to fly it sadly - am awaiting a playoff final, promotion or proper cup run - no point flying it for the sake of it.

I don't see what the issue with flying out own flag behind speeches from our own Pm or Ministers is. I don't think it is a necessity to be "patriotic", but I think if you have an issue with it, I question your patriotism - I don't see the issue with it. I like it myself.

I went to the US om business a few years ago at a government agency and they had US flags in all of their rooms, which I personally like. I think their random flags all over their streets is over the top, but on and in governmental buildings why not? Especially if you have such a great and iconic flag as we do. What I do find cringeworthy is some of the big European leaders having flags behind them when they speak - I have no issues with them having the French or Irish tricolore or German flag behind them, but cringe to see it combined with the EU flag.

This has actually got to be the most pointless thread for a long time.
The Union flag is the Union flag.
All of the colours in it belong to the flag.
If one part of the union decides to leave, that doesn’t mean that they can take the colour with them.
That’s ridickerloose

I don't see what the issue with flying out own flag behind speeches from our own Pm or Ministers is. I don't think it is a necessity to be "patriotic", but I think if you have an issue with it, I question your patriotism - I don't see the issue with it. I like it myself.

I went to the US om business a few years ago at a government agency and they had US flags in all of their rooms, which I personally like. I think their random flags all over their streets is over the top, but on and in governmental buildings why not? Especially if you have such a great and iconic flag as we do. What I do find cringeworthy is some of the big European leaders having flags behind them when they speak - I have no issues with them having the French or Irish tricolore or German flag behind them, but cringe to see it combined with the EU flag.

Note that the EU flag is always in front and dominant.
That’s to keep member states in their place.
You look next time.
I’m right.

If one part of the union decides to leave, that doesn’t mean that they can take the colour with them.
That’s ridickerloose
As far as I know the present flag was designed to incorporate elements of all the Union's flags. If/when the Sweaties go it won't be appropriate any more and will, I assume, have to be redesigned.

As far as I know the present flag was designed to incorporate elements of all the Union's flags. If/when the Sweaties go it won't be appropriate any more and will, I assume, have to be redesigned.
It will still be appropriate because it is our flag and our choice.

If we ever vote to boot the sweaties out wouldn't we want to indicate that. Just a thought. When I look around I see more actual people flying the English flag, it's the politicians and advertisers pushing the other one. On an aesthetic note I much prefer the softer, dustier colours of old. The advertisers have just made it look rubbish.

If I ever cycle past Steve's house I hope the Gills flag is flying high.

That’s ridickerloose
The big problem is that the Union, which the Union flag represents, is not so much a union anymore. In fact, if Scotland and Wales eventually get their way, what is left in the Union will only be Northern Ireland and England.... so just red and white.

#22 of mine above mentions that we still have the red saltire of St Patrick still in the Union Flag when they left in 1921, so it wouldn't have to redesigned as we've already set a precedent 100 years ago.

(maybe you've blocked me so you couldn't see my earlier post ;))

#22 of mine above mentions that we still have the red saltire of St Patrick still in the Union Flag when they left in 1921, so it wouldn't have to redesigned as we've already set a precedent 100 years ago.

(maybe you've blocked me so you couldn't see my earlier post ;))
Only block the 3 outright racists and Tarian 'cos I just can't cope with his style of posts.