Dai Davies | Vital Football

Dai Davies

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
I saw that the former Welsh international goalkeeper Dai Davies died (unintentional tongue twister) sadly the other day.

It reminded me of something that happened at Sincil Bank in the mid 70s, but I may need someone to confirm it, memory being what it is.

Dai was in goal for Swansea and dropped a routine ball in. Dixie McNeil, standing close by but facing away from the South Park goal, simply back-heeled the ball into the net.

He was the regular Everton keeper shortly after this, and I'm pretty sure his nickname was "Dai the Drop"

A little prelude of it for all who were there.

23 March 1974 - you're correct about the details of the goal - but it was John Ward who scored it.

Final score was 2-2. Davies was on loan from Everton at the time.

Yes, I worked with someone in Cardiff who referred to him as 'Dai Drop-it'.

I was very saddened to hear Dai Davies had been diagnosed with cancer a few months ago, and naturally that sadness became more so having heard he passed away.
I recall him as a great keeper, very underrated and one who always came across as a decent guy.
RIP

23 March 1974 - you're correct about the details of the goal - but it was John Ward who scored it.

Final score was 2-2. Davies was on loan from Everton at the time.

Yes, I worked with someone in Cardiff who referred to him as 'Dai Drop-it'.

I knew you'd be able to help :)

Could have sworn it was McNeil, though. How unreliable memory is!

Cannot see that Dixie scored at home v Swansea , John Ward got a few, but I can remember a Swansea defender scoring a 'dreadful' own goal in injury time to win it for us when they were bottom of the fourth division. Long way home !

Wasn‘t Dave Felgate his understudy when he first broke into the Welsh squad although I think Nev Southall quickly took over as number one.

Cannot see that Dixie scored at home v Swansea , John Ward got a few, but I can remember a Swansea defender scoring a 'dreadful' own goal in injury time to win it for us when they were bottom of the fourth division. Long way home !
I remember that we had won our previous away game at Macc on Boxing Day with a very late Peter Gain goal and we repeated the trick against Swansea the next game.

When I first read your post I though he passed from an unintentional tongue twister.

RIP Dai Davies.

Trying to think of the year ? I remember the Swansea game was dire !!
December 2002. last minute OG from Damien Lacey. Swansea finished just out of the relegation places, we made the play offs
Fast forward to April 2005 we again won 1-0 with a last minute OG from Gary Monk. They got automatic promotion, we made the play offs again

Don’t know how many board members watch the Big Match Revisited on ITV4 / BT Sport, but last saturday’s offering was Everton v Sheffield Utd from April 1975. Dai Davies was in goal that day. Everton were 2 0 up before a great come back by Utd to win 2-3. Everton, leaders at the time, were to lose the championship to Derby following on from that game. (Sorry Clive !)