EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 701 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

GillsBlueNose - Paul was working in the maintenance team, always on call to sort the rooms out for decoration etc. I visited regularly during the period 2014-16.

That makes sense. The problem was that the only photos of Paul Haylock that I could show Carol on Google Images were from his playing days and he is now 57.

She thinks she recalls who you mean and she liked him. Just not on first name terms.

Give up JoGills. It’s like trying to persuade a Christian that there is no God.

Some Brexiteers like GBN (but not all Brexiteers by any means) have a cult-like dislike for the EU. No rationale will ever change that.

So did the fishing industry really matter, did it never really matter, is it now small beer? I couldn't give a fig about in/out arguments, they are long done. I thought we had bigger fish to fry than our fishing industry but was told how central it was to our identity. I still feel the same way while I regret the outcome for individual fishermen. Their erstwhile champions have left the field and are dreaming other dreams, that was all I was saying. The fishermen themselves declare that they have been betrayed.

I think fisherman would only be able to say that they had been betrayed if the EU boats were given MORE of their fishing grounds and rights, and I don't think that is the case.

Over a phased period they will have rights to bigger fishing areas/waters and higher catches/quotas. They just have to be patient, due to the fact that we could not ask the EU to make concessions if we were not willing to make any compromises ourselves.

The government have already enlisted the navy to protect our boats against the militant French on one occasion before the deal was reached, so that shows their intent for the future.

Some Brexiteers like GBN (but not all Brexiteers by any means) have a cult-like dislike for the EU. No rationale will ever change that.

I think the referendum, and all elections since, tend to indicate that the majority of the population can see that the EU often behaves as if it is run by a bunch of cults and we have been seeing further examples since we left.

Any ideas which city is Europe’s top share trading hub?

Clue: it’s not London anymore

Is it Euronext in Amsterdam? To be honest never heard of it until I read the story on the BBC.

Curiosity got the better of me so took a look and it's not full of the big household names you see on the FTSE.

Not sure what criteria is making it the biggest but suspect there's a bit of spin to justify that claim.

Any ideas which city is Europe’s top share trading hub?

Clue: it’s not London anymore

Ok, I’ll play 😁

Any ideas which insignificant little parochial backwater on the edge of civilisation has vaccinated more people than all 27 EU nations put together ?

Clue: it’s not Djibouti 😂

Ok, I’ll play 😁

Any ideas which insignificant little parochial backwater on the edge of civilisation has vaccinated more people than all 27 EU nations put together ?

Clue: it’s not Djibouti 😂

Wrong thread. Think you were looking for the Coronavirus Vaccine thread.

Care to comment about how City of London, one of the biggest contributors to the UK economy is losing out from Brexit?

Wrong thread. Think you were looking for the Coronavirus Vaccine thread.

Care to comment about how City of London, one of the biggest contributors to the UK economy is losing out from Brexit?
Yes Trashbat. That actually made me laugh. Talk about desperate to deflect.

I specifically remember that the woman (can't remember her name) making the announcement that the vaccine was cleared for use was NOT because we'd left the EU. Each member can do it's 'own thing' in emergencies. The vaccine is the one thing this Government has got right. I've just posted my good news on that thread.

No evidence that it is.

Number and amount of trades (mostly in Multinational companies and by Pension Funds and Investment companies, incidentally) varies from day to day and I would have thought that an exchange that combines those that were originally in three different Western European capitals, would probably have exceeded those in one capital city on various days in the past.

Stock trading is also only part of financial services. Providing finance and Investment management is equally important.

This also explains why we are relaxed about the fact that financial services has not so far been included with the Free Trade deal, as that sector is clearly not insignificant to the EU either.

Last edited:
No evidence that it is.

Number and amount of trades (mostly in Multinational companies and by Pension Funds and Investment companies, incidentally) varies from day to day and I would doubt that an exchange that combines those that were originally in three different Western European capitals, would probably have exceeded those in one capital city on various days in the past.

Stock trading is also only part of financial services. Providing finance and Investment management is equally important.

This also explains why we are relaxed about the fact that financial services has not been included with the Free Trade deal, as that sector is clearly not insignificant to the EU either.

It is evidence that UK’s financial services is losing out from Brexit.

What about the >$75bn of insurance business that has transferred to the EU in preparation for Brexit? Is that not evidence either?

Being as deluded as you are in your agenda against your own country, you probably wouldn't listen to the current Governer of the Bank of England either, but even he is saying how unreasonable the EU is proving itself to be, constantly cacking itself in its insistence that everybody has to dance THEIR tune on standards and governance.

Also from a BBC story:
"Despite the current situation, Mr Bailey said that London would "undoubtedly continue as one of the world's leading if not the leading financial centre".
Last month Mr Bailey said up to 7,000 finance jobs had so far been relocated from London to rival centres in the EU - well down on predictions of as many as 50,000 losses."

EU could cut UK out of financial markets - Andrew Bailey - BBC News

Being as deluded as you are in your agenda against your own country, you probably wouldn't listen to the current Governer of the Bank of England either, but even he is saying how unreasonable the EU is proving itself to be, constantly cacking itself in its insistence that everybody has to dance THEIR tune on standards and governance.

Also from a BBC story:
"Despite the current situation, Mr Bailey said that London would "undoubtedly continue as one of the world's leading if not the leading financial centre".
Last month Mr Bailey said up to 7,000 finance jobs had so far been relocated from London to rival centres in the EU - well down on predictions of as many as 50,000 losses."

EU could cut UK out of financial markets - Andrew Bailey - BBC News

Care to address the question about insurance business moving to the EU and the adverse consequences for the UK economy and future standing for the City of London?

I have been standing up for my country by calling this problem out for the last few years.

The deluded ones are those people who kept saying: “it’ll be fine”; “the EU needs us more than we need them”; “the City of London will flourish outside of the EU”.

Patriotism is about doing the best for your country - even if the message might be unpalatable. It is not sticking your head in the sand.