EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 700 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Well done everyone on passing 14,000.
UK to EU exports down dramatically btw.
I would imagine a lot of that is down to COVID and the fact that a lot of UK companies are still finding their feet with the paperwork and the fact that transport is hard to come by as a lot of smaller european hauliers have stopped delivering to the UK (as they haven't the financial resources nor can they afford the additional time it takes their drivers to get through customs) so we can't use the empty trucks to take goods back. At Ieast that is what our haulier
partner is telling us. However, I am sure things will sort themselves out in time though....at least I hope so for both our economy and the EU's.

As will EU exports to UK exports be, from April onwards when we introduce our custom checks properly btw.

The M20 and M2 will be thankful.
You might be right, but it will also cause us problems as we tend to backfill lorries from the EU. The M25 and M2 might be thankful, but a lot of businesses won't be. As I have said before though, it will all eventually sort itself out.

Down massively by 68% when compared to pre covid last January.
That’s the fact.
I’d reckon that is about right.
Eu to U.K. exports are similar but that doesn’t fit the narrative.

Thanks for the % but I am quoting from people who actually do the exporting. The Road Haulage Association and Richard Ballantyne, chief exec of the British Ports Association. Of course Covid has an effect on imports and exports but layers of new bureaucracy have seen some businesses just stop supplying the EU and vice versa. Additionally, other UK exporters like fishing firms and plant nurseries have found it impossible to currently trade their goods with the EU .
As I've said elsewhere, hopefully it's all temporary and the government can resolve what they call teething troubles.

GillsBlueNose- my mum was also a resident at Friston House when she died. Fantastic staff and care. As has been discussed on another thread (funding for the ill, not my mother) she had terminal cancer and dementia, due to the cancer her care was paid for by the Local Authority (would have been impossible for her to stay otherwise).

When my mum was in Friston House, Paul Haylock was working there, spent quite a bit of time talking to him - topman :thumbup:

GillsBlueNose- my mum was also a resident at Friston House when she died. Fantastic staff and care. As has been discussed on another thread (funding for the ill, not my mother) she had terminal cancer and dementia, due to the cancer her care was paid for by the Local Authority (would have been impossible for her to stay otherwise).
When my mum was in Friston House, Paul Haylock was working there, spent quite a bit of time talking to him - topman :thumbup:

Really? It's a small world. What were his duties? My partner Carol lost her mum in August 2019, having been resident there from 2012.

Her mum had some savings so she was self funded (she had dementia only) but Carol couldn't speak highly enough of the standard of the place. I met one of the lead nurses who was called Peter. He was a massive Depeche Mode fan but Carol can not remember anyone called Paul.

Thanks for the % but I am quoting from people who actually do the exporting. The Road Haulage Association and Richard Ballantyne, chief exec of the British Ports Association. Of course Covid has an effect on imports and exports but layers of new bureaucracy have seen some businesses just stop supplying the EU and vice versa. Additionally, other UK exporters like fishing firms and plant nurseries have found it impossible to currently trade their goods with the EU .
As I've said elsewhere, hopefully it's all temporary and the government can resolve what they call teething troubles.
The paperwork and costs associated with them are neither ‘temporary’ nor ‘teething problems’. They are an automatic consequence of leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market. They were never capable of being able to be negotiated away. Some export markets may disappear forever simply because they are no longer profitable. Remember we only have half the problem at the moment. Goods inward are getting free passage until June this year when the full range of paperwork, customs requirements on the UK side will come into play

The paperwork and costs associated with them are neither ‘temporary’ nor ‘teething problems’. They are an automatic consequence of leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market. They were never capable of being able to be negotiated away. Some export markets may disappear forever simply because they are no longer profitable. Remember we only have half the problem at the moment. Goods inward are getting free passage until June this year when the full range of paperwork, customs requirements on the UK side will come into play

Considering we have a free trade deal on goods, profitability should not be a major issue, but maybe the fact that trade is no longer totally frictionless will be.

If that is the case, it will be interesting to see whether the respective suppliers/exporters will call a halt or whether it will be the respective consumers/importers.

Who would have thought Brexit would be such a boost for the environment. Not only are fish much happier because they're British fish, it seems there's no point in catching them any more because they can't be sold.
Now it seems British Lobsters can party it up too now baron shellfish have gone belly up.
When old Govey said "bugger business" more or less, I thought he was joking.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-55987138

Three staff? so we are talking big business, are we?

Final straw? What were the previous ones?
Three people that would still have a job if we were in the EU. First the lorry drivers having their sandwiches confiscated, then Baron Shellfish closing. I shudder to think what's next 😞

Who would have thought Brexit would be such a boost for the environment. Not only are fish much happier because they're British fish, it seems there's no point in catching them any more because they can't be sold.
Now it seems British Lobsters can party it up too now baron shellfish have gone belly up.
When old Govey said "bugger business" more or less, I thought he was joking.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-55987138
Who would have thought that a bloke who lives in a country that would never sign up to the Eu conditions in a million years thinks that we should live under such conditions.
Would New Zealand sign up to ttip is it’s laws were made in Japan ?
I’d reckon not
#noskininthegame

You have no way of knowing whether NZ would sign up to the EU or not. You are simply applying your own anti EU prejudice.
Feel free to disregard my posts as I will yours.

GillsBlueNose - Paul was working in the maintenance team, always on call to sort the rooms out for decoration etc. I visited regularly during the period 2014-16.

Three people that would still have a job if we were in the EU. First the lorry drivers having their sandwiches confiscated, then Baron Shellfish closing. I shudder to think what's next 😞

Any job lost is a tragedy for an individual and that is why, now we are moving away from full employment due to the pandemic, it is even more important that we control the flow of labour from abroad.

The ASOS and Boohoo takeovers of Philip Green's businesses has resulted in thousands of job losses in past couple of weeks, in case you have not noticed, but that is purely down people choosing to buy online.

The airline business has been wrecked by the pandemic, causing thousands more job losses. Again nothing to do with Brexit.

The negative effects of Brexit, at least so far, are miniscule by comparison.

Many of the claims from both sides are suspect but above all premature. It will take much longer to get a good picture about how trade is settling down, or not. Nevertheless it is clear that certain sectors present problems that may be difficult to resolve. Wait band see and hipe for good sense is about as much as the average person can do. You will still allow me a wry smile as brexiters, who fulminated about how important fishing was, now blithely dismiss the livelihoods of real fishermen. I fear that others may be on the bonfire before the calm.

You will still allow me a wry smile as brexiters, who fulminated about how important fishing was, now blithely dismiss the livelihoods of real fishermen. I fear that others may be on the bonfire before the calm.

I may have misunderstood but I thought that the result of the negotiations and concessions needed on both sides meant that taking back of our international fishing waters was to be phased over a period - possibly 5 years - so the overall benefits to the fishing industry were never going to be immediate.

Not ideal, but remainers were saying that we should meet the EU in the middle to avoid a possible no deal. They can't have it both ways.