Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

Matic

Alert Team
The January window is now behind us and you could be excused for not knowing it had even opened.

This summer could be a very strange time for clubs as the negative financial impact of Covid 19 is sure to continue.

One thing is for sure though, our squad is in desperate need of some real TLC.

Talk about all summer 2021 transfer window topics here...

New starting keeper
2 new CBs to be 1st picks
Rb starting.
CM to start (because clearly no on in the squad is good enough to displace Sissoko who is a waste of space)
New right sided attacker.

We are fooked!

We don't need a complete overhaul as others have rightly said. We need two key signings in order to create the team ethic that's sadly been missing for all too long.

I'd start with a CB before all the good ones are snapped up. No point in shoehorning players into roles they aren't capable of doing.

Kind of depends. If Jose stays...well we need more help I think. If he departs and we bring in someone different...then yeah we may already have good portions of the pieces in place.

I still think we need quite a bit of help though...hence my continued ask for the damn rebuild to start.

I see Kane leaving so:
-Out and out Striker to lead our line, and a capable #2 so we can rotate. (and no I don't think Son can lead the line...) I like Vini and I think he should be given a chance to grow as well.

-I think we need one or two creative starting AMs...I think we have good depth in Lamela, Lucas, Ndom and GLC...but none are full blown starters in my opinion...we still have not replaced Mods...and Eriksen to a lesser degree.

PEH is our leader and should be our Captain going forward. He is our DM...but I think the back 4 behind him...are a little wobbly...but not bad. Hell they have been getting bombarded for a LONG time with little help...so they are not THAT BAD. But Toby isn't getting any younger, Dier & Aurier are mistakes or 10 waiting to happen, and Davies simply isn't that good. So either Sanchez or Tanganga need to be given the reigns or we need to rebuild our back line. And STOP getting rid of young talent...KWP and Yedlin would have served us very well by now for fucks sake!

Last couple of transfer windows we have focused on the squad balance as a priority over improving the best eleven. We now have 2 players for every position and we need to focus 100% on the best eleven this summer.

Forget Jose's ineptitude, here's how a fresh pair of eyes would look at it.

Lloris?
RB, RCD, LCD, Reggie
Hojbjerg
Gio, Ndombele,Dele
Kane, Son

You soon realise that we can carry on with Lloris for another season. He had a wobble against Liverpool, but has mostly been fantastic this season. Get one more year out of him before he flies off into the sunset.

Right back is a no brainer. Just go all out and get Aarons in and get rid of Aurier who has a year to go. Aarons and Reggie is exciting.

Centre half is where the major surgery has to happen. Left side is higher priority over right side. If we bought the Vertonghen calibre equivalent then a couple of our right footed centre halves would improve massively.

So minimum additions need to be Aarons, left footed centre half, Sessegnon and Skipp. If money runs out then stop there and make sure Sonny signs that new deal. If money permits, then keep going.

We don't need a complete overhaul as others have rightly said. We need two key signings in order to create the team ethic that's sadly been missing for all too long.

I'd start with a CB before all the good ones are snapped up. No point in shoehorning players into roles they aren't capable of doing.
The problem is that despite the good depth that we have, we have far too many senior players who have failed to regularly perform at the levels needed. Whilst Lloris, Reguilion, Hojbjerg, NDombele, Lo Celso(when fit), Kane and Son will be nailed on starters, there are far too many players cluttering around and blocking the path of potential signings who will energise the squad and maybe take it too the next level.

Poch failed to do it which has led to this problem but the manager needs to make a decision on who he rates to step up and call time on the others. It's a tough and some of them will be wrong but we need to de-bloat the squad. Moving on the likes of Gedson and Foyth was a good start to that.

We have a good core to the team with those 7 but the likes of Lamela, Moura, Sissoko and Dele have routinely showed us over the last few years for various reasons why they are struggling to nail down a starters spot.

How can we have a Jota type of signing to liven up our attack when we already have 6 or 7 seniors wanting 2 or 3 spots in the team.

I completely agree on a CB. If we get that decision right then they can replace Dier or Sanchez in the squad and we will look all the stronger.

The problem is that despite the good depth that we have, we have far too many senior players who have failed to regularly perform at the levels needed. Whilst Lloris, Reguilion, Hojbjerg, NDombele, Lo Celso(when fit), Kane and Son will be nailed on starters, there are far too many players cluttering around and blocking the path of potential signings who will energise the squad and maybe take it too the next level.

Poch failed to do it which has led to this problem but the manager needs to make a decision on who he rates to step up and call time on the others. It's a tough and some of them will be wrong but we need to de-bloat the squad. Moving on the likes of Gedson and Foyth was a good start to that.

We have a good core to the team with those 7 but the likes of Lamela, Moura, Sissoko and Dele have routinely showed us over the last few years for various reasons why they are struggling to nail down a starters spot.

How can we have a Jota type of signing to liven up our attack when we already have 6 or 7 seniors wanting 2 or 3 spots in the team.

I completely agree on a CB. If we get that decision right then they can replace Dier or Sanchez in the squad and we will look all the stronger.

The only point I am not in agreement with is whether Lo Celso is not also part of the clutter. I remain unconvinced.

You're forgetting about the players out on loan. We have a handful of talented youngsters who could play a big part in our future. Players like Juan & Sess for instance. We've got to be savvy when it comes to spending, now more than ever.

Last couple of transfer windows we have focused on the squad balance as a priority over improving the best eleven. We now have 2 players for every position and we need to focus 100% on the best eleven this summer.

Forget Jose's ineptitude, here's how a fresh pair of eyes would look at it.

Lloris?
RB, RCD, LCD, Reggie
Hojbjerg
Gio, Ndombele,Dele
Kane, Son

You soon realise that we can carry on with Lloris for another season. He had a wobble against Liverpool, but has mostly been fantastic this season. Get one more year out of him before he flies off into the sunset.

Right back is a no brainer. Just go all out and get Aarons in and get rid of Aurier who has a year to go. Aarons and Reggie is exciting.

Centre half is where the major surgery has to happen. Left side is higher priority over right side. If we bought the Vertonghen calibre equivalent then a couple of our right footed centre halves would improve massively.

So minimum additions need to be Aarons, left footed centre half, Sessegnon and Skipp. If money runs out then stop there and make sure Sonny signs that new deal. If money permits, then keep going.

On paper that team looks very exciting.

The issue I have is Lo Celso is very injury prone, Ndombele still struggles to get past 60 minutes before he starts blowing like a billy goat. What mental state is Dele in?

We would struggle to build a title winning team with them 3 imo.

The issue I have is Lo Celso is very injury prone, Ndombele still struggles to get past 60 minutes before he starts blowing like a billy goat. What mental state is Dele in?

And to compound matters we have a well oiled & maintained machine in Sissoko who plays with 2 left feet.

Lloris has one year remaining and we will have to sell, Reggie will go back, Aurier has one year remaining and we must get rid, Sissoko isn't good enough, Dier and Sanchez are rubbish.

That is 5 first team members we must buy, then there is the wider squad.

Vinnie isn't worth 40 and his price has to be renegotiated.

Gedson leaving clears a massive sum for transfers that I imagine was on the books with all add ons.

Lamela is made of glass. So is GLC, who showed only flashes to justify the crazy sum we paid for him, but lives in the physio room.

Moura is nowhere good enough, and while Beg deserves more time he looks like another brain dead athlete without basic passing ability.

Then there's the whole Dele saga, a player who has underperformed under 2 managers, including his favourite Poch.

The squad needs a serious shake down.

For me, Vinicius isn't good enough to pursue at a renegotiated fee, the skill areas that I expect him to be proficient at are not at the required level. I have compared him to Joao at Reading, who has a wider range of skills and would offer us more.

How can we know this though when he's only played 3 or 4 games? He still needs to find his feet.

I had the same argument directed at me about Lamela seven years ago!

The 'we' is what others see or don't. I speak for myself & see a lot, and in given match situations; players of greater awareness and skill would have approached differently for better outcomes.
We have been set a fee of £40m to buy Vinicius, and we need to see that level of player reflected when he plays, he comes up short.

I had the same argument directed at me about Lamela seven years ago!

The 'we' is what others see or don't. I speak for myself & see a lot, and in given match situations; players of greater awareness and skill would have approached differently for better outcomes.
We have been set a fee of £40m to buy Vinicius, and we need to see that level of player reflected when he plays, he comes up short.
He seems to have been something of a desperation buy to fill the backup to Kane role with somebody ready to accept that he'd have limited game time. There is a big difference though between scoring a two tap in hat trick against non leaguers, and turning in decent performances at the highest level. Even against Wycombe he looked pretty moderate.
There seemed to be indications at the time that Bournemouth were relegated, that Callum Wilson would be willing to sign for us at a fee of around 20 million. England international with sound goal scoring record in the PL, which he's maintaining at Newcastle for 20 mill., versus Vinicius at 40. Oh dear.

Whilst you're right about their fragility, my point really is that budgets are tight so let's stop boiling the ocean and focus in on quality in a couple of areas only. Get that solved first and then move onto he next position as budget becomes available. Defence is priority 1 for me.