Transfer deadline day | Page 4 | Vital Football

Transfer deadline day

Was on loan at Grimsby, their fans were unimpressed from a brief skim of their forum. Hope for better things here, Evans seems keen.

I saw him play a few times for Forest Green Rovers! Suited their possession based football!

Steve Evans says Gillingham fans will love him! They will if they keep it on the deck!

It seems the money wasn't available to match others in our league for a striker unless they are still to be announced. Survival must come first.
Any ideas of potential free agents that could offer something?

This from EFL Hub on Twitter - "Gillingham have rejected bids from Charlton Athletic, Lincoln City, Ipswich Town & AFC Bournemouth for winger Jordan Graham."

That's brave, considering Jordan's out of contract in the summer. Getting him on a new deal would be better news than any signing from outside!

I wonder if our failure to offload Akinde is why we haven't got a striker in...

This from EFL Hub on Twitter - "Gillingham have rejected bids from Charlton Athletic, Lincoln City, Ipswich Town & AFC Bournemouth for winger Jordan Graham."

That's brave, considering Jordan's out of contract in the summer. Getting him on a new deal would be better news than any signing from outside!

That’s definitely got to be it. We had 5? loanees leave. Brought in Lee (on loan, remember, so presumably a portion of wages), Johnson, Slattery and Cundle. Mellis leaving permanently would’ve freed up more. There was evidently space in the budget to be able to sign a wide player and striker as Evans was hoping. I’m hoping that wasn’t assuming Akinde would be off.

Getting rid of that waster up top and his astronomical wages (or part of them) would’ve been great.

Last edited:
That 'waster up top' who was key to us equalizing on saturday ?
I'm puzzled over some of our (supposed) fans attitude's towards some of our players.
On the flip side , I suppose it gives PS or SE a night off.
One home goal in a year, and what, 4 more away from home? How many assists? Great return.

I’d have more patience for him if he wasn’t such a big earner, but it grates when we’re struggling with our budget on the whole. The odd powerful run and flick on coming off the bench isn’t enough.

Last edited:
One home goal in a year, and what, 4 more away from home? How many assists? Great return.

I’d have more patience for him if he wasn’t such a big earner, but it grates when we’re struggling with our budget on the whole. The odd powerful run and flick on coming off the bench isn’t enough.
I think there’s a good chance he’ll move on in the summer. There will be lots of changes then though, loads of players out of contract, and Evans and Raynor could be off too as there’s been no news about them extending their contract.

Danny Graham has left Sunderland in search of regular football.I know he is not quite what would have been top of the shopping list.But he knows how to get on the end of crosses and could be a useful short term signing.

Or the other way around. We couldn't land the striker we wanted so couldn't release akinde.

Getting rid of that waster up top and his astronomical wages (or part of them) would’ve been great.

Where is the evidence that Akinde is on massive wages?

The last player we paid big money to was JET, but that was because a lot of teams were interested, he had made a spectacular start and we were loaning him from a higher division.

Why would we have offered megabucks to Akinde who had played 90% of his career in either League Two or non-league and was warming Lincoln's bench? A small transfer fee perhaps, but we are never going to get that back.

The fact that even penniless Southend thought they had a sniff would actually suggest the opposite.

Even those that dislike Scally would say he is careful with money and after being burned in the JET deal, I can not see him having thrown a massive deal at Akinde who was being offered a chance to come back south, where he has played most of his career.