Serge | Vital Football

Serge

Greavswasthegreatest

Vital Football Legend
In Tottenham.com newsletter. yesterday..thought some of you might like to read/comment......I will not because you all know how I feel about Braindead!

Aurier relishing full-back battle

Serge Aurier is loving every second of his ongoing tussle with Matt Doherty for our starting right-back spot.

Despite having been almost ever-present at full-back for us last season, the summer arrival of Matt from Wolves has provided Serge with considerable competition for a place in our side.

But it’s a challenge that the Ivorian has thrived on.

Reduced to a spot on the bench for the opening games of the campaign, our number 24 stayed calm, showed his mettle and battled his way back into contention before going on to produce some exceptional performances in our colours.

Yet, following our 2-0 home defeat to Leicester City in December, the defender was left out of the side for our next three games, only to then be restored to the starting line-up for each of our last two home matches, including Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with Fulham.

“I didn’t start the first few games of the season – now I have played a few games in the last few months. So, I didn’t start the season in the team, but that is what I like – I never give up,” the 28-year-old explained. “When I don’t play, I stay calm. Of course, I am hungry because I want to play and I know my opportunity is coming. I have to be ready for that – that is always the situation.

“I don’t begin a season believing that I am first choice – that might be the case, it might not be. But I always give my best and try to change the manager’s mind. I like that challenge. It is always a big challenge for me. We have a good fight, strong competition in the team. Matt is a good player, so we have a good battle. We just stay calm. If the other plays, you just have to give your support to him. But there is good competition between us and that is good for the team. You see why we are near the top of the league because everyone is giving their best. When you are not fit or not performing on the pitch, there will be a change.

“We have so many good players in this squad and we know that if the gaffer does make a change, another player of good quality will come in. For example, if Lucas plays, Steven Bergwijn doesn’t play. If he plays Steven, Lucas doesn’t play. They are similar players and good players so you can make those changes – that’s why we are strong this season.”

The end...(I wish)

In Tottenham.com newsletter. yesterday..thought some of you might like to read/comment......I will not because you all know how I feel about Braindead!

Aurier relishing full-back battle

Serge Aurier is loving every second of his ongoing tussle with Matt Doherty for our starting right-back spot.

Despite having been almost ever-present at full-back for us last season, the summer arrival of Matt from Wolves has provided Serge with considerable competition for a place in our side.

But it’s a challenge that the Ivorian has thrived on.

Reduced to a spot on the bench for the opening games of the campaign, our number 24 stayed calm, showed his mettle and battled his way back into contention before going on to produce some exceptional performances in our colours.

Yet, following our 2-0 home defeat to Leicester City in December, the defender was left out of the side for our next three games, only to then be restored to the starting line-up for each of our last two home matches, including Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with Fulham.

“I didn’t start the first few games of the season – now I have played a few games in the last few months. So, I didn’t start the season in the team, but that is what I like – I never give up,” the 28-year-old explained. “When I don’t play, I stay calm. Of course, I am hungry because I want to play and I know my opportunity is coming. I have to be ready for that – that is always the situation.

“I don’t begin a season believing that I am first choice – that might be the case, it might not be. But I always give my best and try to change the manager’s mind. I like that challenge. It is always a big challenge for me. We have a good fight, strong competition in the team. Matt is a good player, so we have a good battle. We just stay calm. If the other plays, you just have to give your support to him. But there is good competition between us and that is good for the team. You see why we are near the top of the league because everyone is giving their best. When you are not fit or not performing on the pitch, there will be a change.

“We have so many good players in this squad and we know that if the gaffer does make a change, another player of good quality will come in. For example, if Lucas plays, Steven Bergwijn doesn’t play. If he plays Steven, Lucas doesn’t play. They are similar players and good players so you can make those changes – that’s why we are strong this season.”

The end...(I wish)

Since the summer of 2017 when Walker left, our RB area has been a mess. We've been through Trippier, Aurier and are now trying Doherty and I don't see any of them worthy of continuing the class we had from that period of Corluka and Walker. It was a shame KWP didn't get a fair crack at the role. He may or may not have been the answer, but we never got to find out.

That leaves me thinking every game what downside there would be if we had a very talented played like Aarons learning his trade there. My mind always shifts to Tanganga as well who I think has a lot to offer.

What I do like about Aurier is his resilience. He showed his strength when his brother died by playing on, and you can tell by the comments above that he is strong willed. That can't replace not being able to kick a ball with the right technique, and not having a football brain though :-)

Since the summer of 2017 when Walker left, our RB area has been a mess. We've been through Trippier, Aurier and are now trying Doherty and I don't see any of them worthy of continuing the class we had from that period of Corluka and Walker. It was a shame KWP didn't get a fair crack at the role. He may or may not have been the answer, but we never got to find out.

That leaves me thinking every game what downside there would be if we had a very talented played like Aarons learning his trade there. My mind always shifts to Tanganga as well who I think has a lot to offer.

What I do like about Aurier is his resilience. He showed his strength when his brother died by playing on, and you can tell by the comments above that he is strong willed. That can't replace not being able to kick a ball with the right technique, and not having a football brain though :-)

Agrre about KWP Soton got a steal there!, he is playing well as far as I can see and I thought his handling of Mane was superb. Agree about Brandeads resilience re his brother commendable....I would however like him to compliment that with a football brain...or any sort of brain.....ah well!....

Last edited:
So what exactly happened last night with Aurier? Sounds like it was a feisty dressing room ay half time. To leave the stadium in my opinion has deeper implications. It is disrespectful for a player to do something like that, but also an indication that Jose doesn't carry the respect from players for it not to happen in the first place.

Will Aurier even make it to the end of transfer deadline day?

So what exactly happened last night with Aurier? Sounds like it was a feisty dressing room ay half time. To leave the stadium in my opinion has deeper implications. It is disrespectful for a player to do something like that, but also an indication that Jose doesn't carry the respect from players for it not to happen in the first place.

Will Aurier even make it to the end of transfer deadline day?

He was told he was being subbed, and as he thought he was being singled out for their goal just before half-time, he lost his shit and went home.

The problem with Aurier is he's simply too inconsistent and has always had lapses of concentration when it hurts you most.

Getting rid of KPW really looks like a dumb move now.

Now we have two problem players at right back, one who's only good enough when he's switched on and the other who looks like he should be playing in the championship, I wish I could find a settling-in excuse for Docherty, but there isn't one, he's fundamentally not good enough and whoever scouted him, and whoever wanted him, got it badly wrong.

He was told he was being subbed, and as he thought he was being singled out for their goal just before half-time, he lost his shit and went home.

The problem with Aurier is he's simply too inconsistent and has always had lapses of concentration when it hurts you most.

Getting rid of KPW really looks like a dumb move now.

Now we have two problem players at right back, one who's only good enough when he's switched on and the other who looks like he should be playing in the championship, I wish I could find a settling-in excuse for Docherty, but there isn't one, he's fundamentally not good enough and whoever scouted him, and whoever wanted him, got it badly wrong.

But can THFC isolate the incident and ensure that Jose has the trust and respect of the changing room? Is it a symptom of something bigger that is happening?

I didn't see optimum effort levels in the 2nd half and towards the end Tanguy was on the floor laughing after a collision with one of their players. In the second half he was incredibly guilty of not getting stuck in. He wasn't the only one.

Does get you thinking.

Braindead can feck off for good ...he has always been a liability as I spout every time he is picked. I would play Sanchez or Toby as our right back until we buy a proper one.

That game exposed us in so ,many ways top down to bottom that I will be amazed if the downward hill of the roller coaster has actually got steeper now. And as EX said...how do we as a club rebuild from scratch. Most of the players have been indoctrinated by Poch and Now Jose that they have forgotten the basics and lost their mojos.

We need to build bottom up and top down. I would go and get for example Gerard or Lampard, young modern managers who were winners as players. They would instil new belief and get rid of the average dross we have...and by god we have a hatful of that. Signing off...pissed off totally....

But can THFC isolate the incident and ensure that Jose has the trust and respect of the changing room? Is it a symptom of something bigger that is happening?

I didn't see optimum effort levels in the 2nd half and towards the end Tanguy was on the floor laughing after a collision with one of their players. In the second half he was incredibly guilty of not getting stuck in. He wasn't the only one.

Does get you thinking.
The worst part of the 2nd half - particularly after their 3rd goal - was the apparent lack of effort, apart from PEH. Or was it lack of belief masquerading as lack of effort? There was absolutely no conviction in anything that was going on out there.

Braindead can feck off for good ...he has always been a liability as I spout every time he is picked. I would play Sanchez or Toby as our right back until we buy a proper one.

That game exposed us in so ,many ways top down to bottom that I will be amazed if the downward hill of the roller coaster has actually got steeper now. And as EX said...how do we as a club rebuild from scratch. Most of the players have been indoctrinated by Poch and Now Jose that they have forgotten the basics and lost their mojos.

We need to build bottom up and top down. I would go and get for example Gerard or Lampard, young modern managers who were winners as players. They would instil new belief and get rid of the average dross we have...and by god we have a hatful of that. Signing off...pissed off totally....
You think Toby or Sanchez could handle Mane? Really? Aurrier did it quite well the first time we met this season. Up untill the goal he was doing also quite well. Joe Rondon on the other side...... In the second half liverpool (especially Mane) took us apart and Aurrier wasnt there to blame!

Just to get this right. I dont want to slag Joe. He is young and hasnt been used properly, he needs time. But he was definately bad last night. The opposite of MOM.