Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 26 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

Had to happen......

Man United's Solskjaer, Lingard in battle over potential transfer - sources
play
18 Jan, 2021
  • i

Rob DawsonCorrespondent

Jesse Lingard and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are in a tug-of-war over the Manchester United midfielder's future, sources have told ESPN.
Lingard is desperate to find regular first-team football after making just three appearances so far this season. Solskjaer is sympathetic to the 28-year-old's situation but is keen to keep him at Old Trafford this month as he prepares for a busy second half of the season with games in three competitions.

United have exercised a one-year extension in Lingard's contract that will keep him at the club until 2022 but he remains keen to play regularly after falling down the pecking order under Solskjaer.
He impressed from the start in the 1-0 win over Watford in the FA Cup third round but was left out of the squad for the following two games against Burnley and Liverpool. His only other start this season came in the 3-0 win over Luton in the Carabao Cup in September.

Lingard, capped 24 times by England and a starter at the 2018 World Cup, has plenty of suitors in the Premier League and abroad. Marseille, Porto, Inter Milan, Nice, Tottenham Hotspur, Sheffield United and West Ham United have all registered an interest but United have not yet provided a definitive answer as to whether the former academy graduate is available.

Solskjaer has already allowed Timothy Fosu-Mensah to join Bayer Leverkusen and given Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero permission to speak to other clubs -- and the Norwegian is conscious of losing too many squad players in January ahead of a hectic schedule in the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League between now and May.

United could play as many as 34 games before the end of season if they reach the finals of the FA Cup and Europa League.

Solskjaer and Lingard, who split from agent Mino Raiola in November and is now represented by family members, have maintained a good relationship and the United boss has been impressed with Lingard's dedication and commitment in training despite his spell out of the team while sources have told ESPN that Lingard regularly tops the performance data stats in training.

I think we're pretty much set. Obviously i wouldn't say no to another CB but trying to get a deal done at this time of year is going to be a bit of a nightmare, pandemic or not.

Danny Ings thinks his life would be better if he was part of an elite European club and is stalling on signing a new Southampton contract in the hope of attracting interest from a team that has the Champions League anthem queued up on their PA system. Tottenham are one such club and are said to be monitoring the situation though Ralph Hasenhüttl believes Ings can get what he wants by firing Saints into the top four by bagging another 10 to 15 goals.

We are also keeping a keen eye on Inter’s 23-year-old midfielder Nicolò Barella, who has been running the show in Antonio Conte’s side with a stacked highlights reel of assists since debuting for the club in 2019. He would cost a pretty penny, though, given he has a contract that runs until 2024. Liverpool scouts are also sniffing around. In other Spurs news, Dele Alli and Mauricio Pochettino look increasingly likely to be reunited at PSG.

Danny Ings...yes please...but seriously...you know he actually wants to play right. Not sure he would with us...you know the whole lack of rotation thing...

And Danny...you may want to stay with the Saints...they may have a better chance of CL football.

I like Ings. He is just below the elite level and knows he is in no way guaranteed 1st team football at any of the top clubs. He is a grafter, ticks the homegrown box and generally has a 1 in 3 goalscoring record. So a useful player in a top 6 squad.

Even if Ings joined in January, there is no way I'd want to see Bergwijn sitting on the bench. He is so much more dynamic and versatile in his play and I'm hoping we can see him nick a couple of goals to get going. I also want to see Ndombele, Gio, Bergwijn, Kane and Son playing together at some point.

My guess is that is the start of the speculation for a summer deal. I can't see Saints sanctioning a January deal.

Fabrizio Romano says Daniel Levy holding Dele Alli’s Spurs to PSG move up

By
Lee Connor

Published on January 21, 2021

Fabrizio Romano has claimed that Daniel Levy is holding up Dele Alli’s move to PSG, despite Jose Mourinho being open to the deal.

Speaking on his Here We Go Podcast, Romano confirmed once again that Alli is pushing to leave but it is Spurs supremo Levy who is holding up any deal for the midfielder to move to France.

New PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino is keen on bringing Alli to the club, with Romano claiming that he ahead of Christian Eriksen in terms of favourable new signings for the former Spurs boss.

But Romano claims ‘everyone is waiting’ for Daniel Levy. There is apparently no issue or disrespect from the player towards the club but he is looking to get out and play regular football.

By
Lee Connor

Fabrizio Romano has claimed that Daniel Levy is holding up Dele Alli’s move to PSG, despite Jose Mourinho being open to the deal.

Speaking on his Here We Go Podcast, Romano confirmed once again that Alli is pushing to leave but it is Spurs supremo Levy who is holding up any deal for the midfielder to move to France.

New PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino is keen on bringing Alli to the club, with Romano claiming that he ahead of Christian Eriksen in terms of favourable new signings for the former Spurs boss.

But Romano claims ‘everyone is waiting’ for Daniel Levy. There is apparently no issue or disrespect from the player towards the club but he is looking to get out and play regular football.

By
Lee Connor

It seems pretty clear that Mourinho wants Dele out, Levy doesn't. Unfortunately Jose is unlikely to give Dele sufficient game time for him to have the sort of transfer value that may interest Daniel in the summer. Unwittingly I think that Dele may ultimately be the cause of a major bust up between Chairman and Manager.

I don't see why. He's hardly been pulling up trees over the last year or two.

Like the fella but he's not the right fit. If he wants to leave, fair play. Let him go.

The key sentence for me.....

Poch clearly going back to buying players with most of their career still in front of them. I'll be sad to see Dele leave, but will be chuffed to bits for him to see his career resumed after the Jose treatment.

Personally I cannot see where Deli would fit into PSG the way they are set up at the mo! all I can see is the continuing of being a bench warmer, albeit in a diff' country and league.

Danny Ings...yes please...but seriously...you know he actually wants to play right. Not sure he would with us...you know the whole lack of rotation thing...

And Danny...you may want to stay with the Saints...they may have a better chance of CL football.
If I were Ings, I'd definitely consider a move to Leicester. He'd get game time from the off with Vardy injured and the way they are going, they have as good a chance as any other in current top 4 to make the CL. Their style would suit him too.

It could even be another Leicester year seeing now Bruyne is out through a hammy.

Coming to Spurs....we know how it all end ups. 60K crowd and you are bench warming or 5 mins cameos until one of our ever present sustains the annual injury.

Last edited:
If I were Ings, I'd definitely consider a move to Leicester. He'd game get time from the off with Vardy injured and the way they are going, they have as good a chance as any other in current top 4 to make the CL. Their style would suit him too.

It could even be another Leicester year seeing now Bruyne is out through a hammy.

Coming to Spurs....we know how it all end ups. 60K crowd and you are bench warming or 5 mins cameos until one of our ever present sustains the annual injury.

Truth. Leicester would be sexy pick for many Strikers in my opinion...

I like Ings. He is just below the elite level and knows he is in no way guaranteed 1st team football at any of the top clubs. He is a grafter, ticks the homegrown box and generally has a 1 in 3 goalscoring record. So a useful player in a top 6 squad.

Even if Ings joined in January, there is no way I'd want to see Bergwijn sitting on the bench. He is so much more dynamic and versatile in his play and I'm hoping we can see him nick a couple of goals to get going. I also want to see Ndombele, Gio, Bergwijn, Kane and Son playing together at some point.

My guess is that is the start of the speculation for a summer deal. I can't see Saints sanctioning a January deal.

Hmm, I believe we have already tried the N'dom/LoCelso experiment in one EL match, Jose ended the union at half time, we were, overrun. Our defence under constant pressure working overtime to fill holes. If memory serves me, one of Hoj/Siss had to come on to shore things up. The idea might have greater sustainability with a more dynamic player, better on both sides of the ball than Lo Celso.

Reading this thread you get the impression that players want to leave only because of Jose (his system, man management, etc.) and not their own performances.

Those are the same players that failed to perform under the previous manager:

Winks has never hit the potential some here claim he has, both under Poch and Jose.
Dele has been failing due to a combination of injuries and mentality well 18 months before Jose arrived.
KWP's disastrous handling started 2 full seasons before Jose joined.

Would we want to gamble £100 worth of homegrown talent that haven't been top 4 quality over the last 2-3 years? They may come good, or their value will simply plummet as we fail to reinvest in the squad.

Just my two penneth on the Ings rumour, him wanting out of Scum, other than maybe Leicester as it is now, Vardy out for a number of weeks, I believe he will have to have the attitude, "I am prepared to fight for my place" at any of the Prem Top 6, where as he is guaranteed his spot at Scum, I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Hmm, I believe we have already tried the N'dom/LoCelso experiment in one EL match, Jose ended the union at half time, we were, overrun. Our defence under constant pressure working overtime to fill holes. If memory serves me, one of Hoj/Siss had to come on to shore things up. The idea might have greater sustainability with a more dynamic player, better on both sides of the ball than Lo Celso.

Yes, "one EL match" which you then correctly explain as half an EL match. That game from memory was a dead rubber as we were already through to the next stage. Those 2 were not the only culprits on that day and once again Jose didn't give them 10 mins after half-time to correct it. I never agree with that from managers.

Personally, I still think we've yet to find out at the top of their game whether the Ndombele, Gio partnership with Hojbjerg is too lightweight. We already know that for a six footer, Sonny is too lightweight whereas someone like Bergwijn gives a physical presence with football intelligence defensively. There are 6 players ahead of the back four and that entire group needs to function physically and technically.

First of all, we need to find out whether Gio can get himself fit. His injury record is a concern.