Tyreke Johnson | Vital Football

Tyreke Johnson

In tribute to Inauguration Day I am wondering if on Saturday SE will get his Johnson out?

I hope we negotiated for Saints to carry on paying his wages.
I am guessing that the lad has agreed a pay off and I drop in wages moving to Gillingham.It could well be he would have been better off financially staying put.But being able to move on and get settled and I would guess try to push on playing regularly would be the draw that lead to the move.

I am guessing that the lad has agreed a pay off and I drop in wages moving to Gillingham.It could well be he would have been better off financially staying put.But being able to move on and get settled and I would guess try to push on playing regularly would be the draw that lead to the move.

I think I might have read when he signed on loan that he might have been out of contract soon. With him spending last season at Woking, it seems likely Southampton weren't expecting him to become to anywhere near the Premier League standard as a 22 year old and probably weren't looking to offer a new deal. Hence, it would be in his long term football and financial interest to sign for us. League one is a decent standard to sign for when there is always the risk of him being out of contract and the likes of Woking being the main interest.

I think I might have read when he signed on loan that he might have been out of contract soon. With him spending last season at Woking, it seems likely Southampton weren't expecting him to become to anywhere near the Premier League standard as a 22 year old and probably weren't looking to offer a new deal. Hence, it would be in his long term football and financial interest to sign for us. League one is a decent standard to sign for when there is always the risk of him being out of contract and the likes of Woking being the main interest.
That's true probably a another reason why Scally would have been able to negotiate hard to get the best deal .Let's hope he proves more Southampton than Woking.No disrespect to Woking intended.

Length of contract not disclosed though. Maybe we've only signed him to the end of the season, thus he and the club can decide on a new contract then

Length of contract not disclosed though. Maybe we've only signed him to the end of the season, thus he and the club can decide on a new contract then
Might be some truth in that, he tweeted looking forward to the rest of the season which like you say could mean he’s only here until the end of current season.

Happy with this.

The sort of player, age and pedigree that if we were to bring him on and he does the business in a Gills shirt, he make make us a few bob in the future.

Welcome (permanently) Tyreke 👍

Agreed we need some young talent to develop and sell on. Half a season trial to earn a new contract seems like a good move.

We rarely announce any fee paid, or received, or the length of any contracts signed. It seems to be a new trend and we aren't the only ones doing it.

It won't be until the end of this season, most likely the end of next.

It would make no sense for us to "buy" him and be forced to pay 100% of his wages, signing on fees and other costs for 6 months when we could have had him for the same period on loan with Southampton paying a chunk of his wages.