Salary Cap? | Page 10 | Vital Football

Salary Cap?

A bit from Liam as well.

Lincoln City chief executive Liam Scully told The Athletic his club agreed with many of Portsmouth’s arguments about the cap being too restrictive on those who could afford to spend more but, in the end, felt the current circumstances trumped other considerations.

“In the absence of (the salary cost management protocol rules), which would be redundant this year because all of our incomes have been so badly hit, we had to find a mechanism,” Scully says.

“After all the hot air and debate, people are maybe forgetting how much shit the game is in right now. We got lucky with the compensation fee from Huddersfield Town for the Cowley brothers and a positive January. Without that we would have been in a real pickle, like most are.

“The gap to the Championship was already huge. Teams have gone up with budgets of £6 to £8 million and come straight back down. So if we go up spending £2.5 million and come back down, at least we haven’t blown an additional £3.5 million in doing so. It’s why many of us are rooting for (recently promoted) Rotherham United. They are well-run and sensible, a bit like Burnley in the Premier League.”

I think a salary cap would create a more level playing field, and thus skill in any success achieved, rather than being due to being able to afford the best players ergo.
I'm pleased that Lincoln appear to be spending within the clubs means. You can see we have reduced the wage bill from last season. If we have season ticket money in, then thats in the bank. I think you have got to go into this season assuming that you are going to play 46 games in front of nobody.

I think a salary cap would create a more level playing field, and thus skill in any success achieved, rather than being due to being able to afford the best players ergo.
I'm pleased that Lincoln appear to be spending within the clubs means. You can see we have reduced the wage bill from last season. If we have season ticket money in, then thats in the bank. I think you have got to go into this season assuming that you are going to play 46 games in front of nobody.

Indeed.
Any match day income will be a pure bonus.
Club (and we can be sure this is exactly what they are doing) will need to be run for whole season at the lowest possible cost and keep losses down to a survivable level.
Then hopefully we can get back to some sort of normality the following season.

@SAToffeeImp, am I correct in thinking that only players in the submitted squad list are included within the salary cap? i.e. a club can, in theory, have 30 players under contract but only those in the 22 count towards the cap (U21's exempt)?

@SAToffeeImp, am I correct in thinking that only players in the submitted squad list are included within the salary cap? i.e. a club can, in theory, have 30 players under contract but only those in the 22 count towards the cap (U21's exempt)?
The rules at the moment allow for this season only as a transitional measure the remuneration of players not included in the Squad List to be excluded from the Salary Cap calculation.

I see Holloway was saying Grimsby missed out on Theo Robinson because they wanted a clause in his deal that cut his wage if there was a second lockdown and he didn't, so went to Vale (I suspect Vale would have been his first choice anyway!).

I see Holloway was saying Grimsby missed out on Theo Robinson because they wanted a clause in his deal that cut his wage if there was a second lockdown and he didn't, so went to Vale (I suspect Vale would have been his first choice anyway!).
Burslem or Cleethorpes, not a great choice to have.

I'm not in favour of salary caps in any division.

What should happen instead is that the EFL should review clubs budgets and set them limits for expenditure on salaries/transfers.

This can then be upgraded by each club dependent only on transfer fees received and capital injections by the owners.

What should happen instead is that the EFL should review clubs budgets and set them limits for expenditure on salaries/transfers.

This can then be upgraded by each club dependent only on transfer fees received and capital injections by the owners.
A nice theory but in practice it takes the EFL about 12 months a pop to sort out a single transgression of their rules (think Bolton, Macclesfield) so expecting them to have the resources and capability to run something as complicated as that would be very optimistic. Imagine all the appeals and resistance from some clubs.

A nice theory but in practice it takes the EFL about 12 months a pop to sort out a single transgression of their rules (think Bolton, Macclesfield) so expecting them to have the resources and capability to run something as complicated as that would be very optimistic. Imagine all the appeals and resistance from some clubs.

They manage it in Spain

I repeat, chaotic, bureaucratic, mystifying Spain.
0_limite_salarial_2020_21.jpg

They manage it in Spain

I repeat, chaotic, bureaucratic, mystifying Spain.
View attachment 45254
Yes and the Germans seem to have it all in hand also. I just don't have faith in a combination of our EFL and English club culture to actually implement it.

The government sniffing around football finances and hinting at stepping in if it didn't get the house in order may explain why we saw the hastily drawn up steps that we did.

Yes and the Germans seem to have it all in hand also. I just don't have faith in a combination of our EFL and English club culture to actually implement it.

The government sniffing around football finances and hinting at stepping in if it didn't get the house in order may explain why we saw the hastily drawn up steps that we did.
No fan of this government but I guess they’ve got bigger fish to fry

Agreed. Put some proper financial reporting requirements in with set rules for breaking them.