EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 696 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

On day one of Brexit ALL trading in shares in EU based companies moved straight to the EU. That’s all those fees on billions in share trading lost overnight to the UK and moved into the EU.

If you say so, but strange that there has been little, if any, complaint from the City of London.

I also believed that the hugest companies are actually multinational, and their shares are actually traded on several stock exchanges, but I am sure you know better.

Again, the issue is our difficulty in accessing the whole EU market whereas EU countries have difficulty accessing the market in only one. It’s the issue that you obstinately still won’t recognise.

But the other issue is our difficulty in accessing the whole EU market in respect of a certain monetary value, as compared to EU countries having difficulty accessing a market from which they extract a much higher monetary value.

I always thought the phrase was "how much you have to lose" rather than "how many you have to lose".

Of course, you will continue to be obstinate enough to gloss over that fact.

But the other issue is our difficulty in accessing the whole EU market in respect of a certain monetary value, as compared to EU countries having difficulty accessing a market from which they extract a much higher monetary value.

I always thought the phrase was "how much you have to lose" rather than "how many you have to lose".

Of course, you will continue to be obstinate enough to gloss over that fact.
It’s not been a “difficulty” accessing the EU market. We just haven’t produced enough things that Europeans want when compared with things like German cars and white goods. There was absolutely nothing stopping us producing goods to compete. We just didn’t. To use it as a reason justifying leaving is just barking.

It’s not been a “difficulty” accessing the EU market. We just haven’t produced enough things that Europeans want when compared with things like German cars and white goods. There was absolutely nothing stopping us producing goods to compete. We just didn’t. To use it as a reason justifying leaving is just barking.

I can not remember anyone using that as the reason for leaving. We have a trade surplus with the US, for instance, the difference being we were not asking them to pay us a massive weekly amount for that "privilege" or insisting their borders remain totally open to our citizens, however many may feel like settling and working there.

Now that logic is what I call barking.

I do actually find the current position surprising. This should be the time when all the remainers have their fun. When all the teething problems occur, and traders get used to the paperwork they need going forward. I expected a few months of major "I told you so" moments before everything settled down but so far we only seem to have had hamsandwichgate and a problem with a rare example within an export market representing 0.1% of our economy where a live product is exported. Don't think there are many of them.

I can not remember anyone using that as the reason for leaving. We have a trade surplus with the US, for instance, the difference being we were not asking them to pay us a massive weekly amount for that "privilege" or insisting their borders remain totally open to our citizens, however many may feel like settling and working there.

I do actually find the current position surprising. This should be the time when all the remainers have their fun. When all the teething problems occur, and traders get used to the paperwork they need going forward. I expected a few months of major "I told you so" moments before everything settled down but so far we only seem to have had hamsandwichgate and a problem with a rare example within an export market representing 0.1% of our economy where a live product is exported. Don't think there are many of them.

The BBC are currently doing a documentary about us leaving the EU, but the ham sandwich is still in custody, so can't be interviewed. Bloody bureaucrats!

It's really not fun
Most who voted to Remain accept the result. However the fact that we struggled to see how we would be better off out has still not been answered. I don't believe the following are 'teething problems' ...

Expats with holiday homes in EU are angry that they now can't stay any more than 90 days.
Free movement has now been made costly for our students and job seekers needing to access the EU.
Hauliers and exporters/importers have had a costly layer of bureaucracy added to their running costs that they will need to pass on.
The fishing industry is upset that the deal did not give them what they expected.
The finance sector (UKs largest contributor to GDP) has been left out of the trade agreement (at our request) making it more vulnerable to losing market share.

I do understand someone, somewhere, eventually is supposed to benefit from all this upheaval but it is certainly not evident so far who that is.
Happy to have your list of winners.*

* Maybe the xenophobic are happy as it is now more difficult for migrants to survive an extra couple of days hidden, freezing in a freight truck.

It's really not fun
Most who voted to Remain accept the result. However the fact that we struggled to see how we would be better off out has still not been answered. I don't believe the following are 'teething problems' ...

Expats with holiday homes in EU are angry that they now can't stay any more than 90 days.
Free movement has now been made costly for our students and job seekers needing to access the EU.
Hauliers and exporters/importers have had a costly layer of bureaucracy added to their running costs that they will need to pass on.
The fishing industry is upset that the deal did not give them what they expected.
The finance sector (UKs largest contributor to GDP) has been left out of the trade agreement (at our request) making it more vulnerable to losing market share.

I do understand someone, somewhere, eventually is supposed to benefit from all this upheaval but it is certainly not evident so far who that is.

* Maybe the xenophobic are happy as it is now more difficult for migrants to survive an extra couple of days hidden, freezing in a freight truck.
Arhhh!
You was doing really well until the last paragraph which probably says more about you.
Quite a sad statement Vambo .

We're divorced from the EU, and like any divorce, we have to move on. At first there's recriminations and the thoughts of what might have been. But then you make a new life for yourself, and change the way you live. Then you realise that there are better partners out there, and you find one, and then you find yourself being happy and wonder why you didn't meet this new partner years ago. Only when you move on from a divorce, then you can be truly happy with your new life. Let go, move on, enjoy The Gills today 🙂

Arhhh!
You was doing really well until the last paragraph which probably says more about you.
You know his last paragraph will apply to a chunk of the Leavers (irrespective of whether it was right to leave or not).
To deny this would be like pretending we have no racists amongst us Gills fans.

Yes, it was a sad statement because it had some truth in it.

Btw I have accepted the result as I did from day one. I have a right as does Vambo, to question the supposed "benefits".

I've also accepted the Tories won the last election, of course, but retain the right to criticise what I believe was Johnson's bs before and since.

We're divorced from the EU, and like any divorce, we have to move on. At first there's recriminations and the thoughts of what might have been. But then you make a new life for yourself, and change the way you live. Then you realise that there are better partners out there, and you find one, and then you find yourself being happy and wonder why you didn't meet this new partner years ago. Only when you move on from a divorce, then you can be truly happy with your new life. Let go, move on, enjoy The Gills today 🙂

Good sentiments LSB2 but for many they can't yet move on. I'm lucky Brexit has had little effect on me albeit I am very much against it.

If you were to own a business and see all that hard work undone as your access to your main market is now much more costly/difficult to access then you aren't ready to move on and you are looking for someone to blame.

The biggest issue for me were the blatant lies from Johnson and gang. I'm sure everyone remembers the buffoon telling people in NI that if they are asked to do a customs form they can tell people to phone him. I guess he's not answering.
Fisherman being another example especially after he made such a thing of protecting fishing. Lots of Scottish and other fisherman now discovering that its much harder to get their product to market. Finding "another market" for them isn't easy when their product is a fresh not frozen commodity.

Brexit was always going to be hard but the one thing we need was clear communication from government and words that we could trust.

In my opinion Johnson is the least trustworthy PM we have ever had. I honestly believe he will say literally anything to get what he wants (to be PM) and then backtrack on delivery. The beauty of social media is that someone somewhere will have caught what he said/tweeted and they quickly go viral.

As I said impact on me will be very limited, minor impact at work, kids became dual nationals so retain the benefits of EU citizenship and I hope that my desire to travel to the EU "freely" won't be too restricted.

I think I am just disappointed that the UK seem unlikely to hold Johnson to account. The opposition really need to wake up and be seen to be electable next time around. I honestly believe Johnson could come out with another witty three worder and be elected again.

I really need to get out of the UK - oh hang on - back to brexit !!!

Arhhh!

And, unless I am mistaken, oddly seems to refer to an incident involving Asian migrants, not European ones.

Actually, we may now be able to accept more worldwide migrants as we do not need to worry about lack of control of numbers elsewhere. Preferential free movement for just some nationalities is actually racist and potentially xenophobic if you think about it in that sense.

It's really not fun

It's been pretty obvious for quite a while who would benefit from Brexit. Can anybody guess who these people might be? I'll give you a clue, they're not poor.

Here's an article from 2018:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...fund-moguls-real-winners-Brexit-roulette.html

In my opinion Johnson is the least trustworthy PM we have ever had. I honestly believe he will say literally anything to get what he wants (to be PM) and then backtrack on delivery. The beauty of social media is that someone somewhere will have caught what he said/tweeted and they quickly go viral.

I agree about Johnson, and he may be the worst, but I think you would struggle to find a politician that is 100% trustworthy and does not have an unhelpful agenda.

If they did not have the power of persuasion and manipulation they would not be where they are, but the same could be said of the press, TV and pundits.

Politicians that backed both Leave and Remain spent the whole referendum campaign spinning lies, exaggerations and scare stories in order to persuade, and continued to do the same for the 4 years until Brexit got done but the interesting thing is that all the elections, including the european ones, indicate that few voters had been persuaded to change their original decision.

Maybe the public are not as gullible and open to easy persuasion as they hoped.

I doubt very much whether too many people are of a mind to say much about the failings, or otherwise, of brexit. If you hadn't noticed there is something far more significant impacting peoples lives and livelihoods. Brexit has almost become irrelevant. We will never know, economically, whether leaving is a success beacuse of the impact of COVID and that will cover Johnsons arse for quite a while.

It's been pretty obvious for quite a while who would benefit from Brexit. Can anybody guess who these people might be? I'll give you a clue, they're not poor.
Here's an article from 2018:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...fund-moguls-real-winners-Brexit-roulette.html

Back when Theresa May was still PM?

Unless I have read that article wrong, essentially it says that Hedge Funds would profit whether there is Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit or even No Brexit - that's what hedging is all about - covering all bases.

It actually looks like a Hard Brexit, i.e no deal, would have been their preferred outcome, so they are not as big winners as they may have been.

Back when Theresa May was still PM?

Unless I have read that article wrong, essentially it says that Hedge Funds would profit whether there is Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit or even No Brexit - that's what hedging is all about - covering all bases.

It actually looks like a Hard Brexit, i.e no deal, would have been their preferred outcome, so they are not as big winners as they have been.

That's about the size of it, you got it. And yes, it was back when Theresa May was PM and they were fearing that it would be a soft Brexit. As you say, they key lines in that article were these ones:

But whether the country will experience the hardest of Brexits or is destined to do a U-turn and eventually remain within the EU, the major Brexiteers from the finance world are likely to profit.

They have been busy hedging their bets so that whatever happens to the British economy they will personally be shielded from financial harm and will continue to maintain their fabulous wealth.

What a fcking surprise that it's the filthy rich who are, "personally shielded from financial harm", and who, "continue to maintain their fabulous wealth"! Meanwhile the people see no actual benefits, actually the reverse as we lose various benefits, but that's cool because we have, 'Taken Back Control'!

What a fcking surprise that it's the filthy rich who are, "personally shielded from financial harm", and who, "continue to maintain their fabulous wealth"! Meanwhile the people see no actual benefits, actually the reverse as we lose various benefits, but that's cool because we have, 'Taken Back Control'!

Buddha, I understand where you are coming from as the rich get richer, but the poor whom have a workplace pension may also have their pension funds invested in Hedge Funds, so they would benefit too.

Not picking an arguement, but Hedge Fujnds are used all over the place, just wanted to add that in.

Buddha, I understand where you are coming from as the rich get richer, but the poor whom have a workplace pension may also have their pension funds invested in Hedge Funds, so they would benefit too.

Not picking an arguement, but Hedge Fujnds are used all over the place, just wanted to add that in.

No argument from me about that. You're right.

Small potatoes though, aint it?