January 2021 Transfers | Page 9 | Vital Football

January 2021 Transfers

Thing about aarons is, hes lightning quick, a decent defender, good at going forward but his simply cannot cross to save his life, nearly all of his crosses hit defenders and are cleared, theyre never put across the 6 yard box or onto any of our players heads, really needs to sort that part of his game to be considered at such a high price as Emi
Bite their hand off for that deal[/QUOTE

Very true. Funny that he would have had a lot of game time over the last few months if he would have been here.

You only know that, in hindsight that he may have been picked
to replace the injured Q. At the time his loan started there was no sign that Q. was going to be injured this season.

Actually Bears pointed out in advance that there was no cover.
Actually Bears pointed out in advance that there was no cover.

At the point when McCallum went on loan, presumably the club had thought about who was going to be competing with Q for the LB spot during the period of the loan.

Furthermore no one actually knew at that point who was going to getting injured in the future.

You only know that, in hindsight that he may have been picked
to replace the injured Q. At the time his loan started there was no sign that Q. was going to be injured this season.
True but what was the plan if he did get injured/suspended? I agree with McCallum needing game time.

I wonder if McCallum will be loaned out again next season too.

At the point when McCallum went on loan, presumably the club had thought about who was going to be competing with Q for the LB spot during the period of the loan.

Furthermore no one actually knew at that point who was going to getting injured in the future.
It is like saying might as well loan Hugill out as Pukki is number 1 forward and best that Hugill gets game time. You need back up. It isn't like we had 3 left backs and McCallum is 3rd choice. You should plan for the worst to happen too. Like the central defender situ too.

Also we had Xavi and McCallum as Left Backs then loaned out McCallum to get game time and now DF is talking about getting in a new left back. So this new left back will be cover for Xavi and will not get much game time. I am guessing that this new player will either be an older player, loan or one of these left backs who can play left midfielder too.

Interesting in the chat today that the club was planning on loaning Barden before McGovern got injured. Would that have been a smart move?

Asked about Xavi and his ability to play in the premiership if we go up. The response was that the club have been surprised at how he has struggled physically. Also, the option to sign if we go up is dependant on appearances and that looks unlikely to happen now. So maybe the Left Back we sign this window will be the one who will be our prem left back.

No plans now to sign a central defender and the club would call back Famewo this January if Zimmermann injury is longer term or if more injuries over January. The club see the three as okay as Tettey and Sorensen can step in if needed plus Omobamidele would be there too. Apparently DF really like Famewo.

There are 20 Goalkeepers on the list that Norwich are interested in. They would like a short term option and an option in contract to extend if promoted. The club want Krul - Number 2 and McGovern as their GKs next season.

No plans for a new forward. Pukki - Hugill - Omotoye at the mo with Idah (Forever must be happy) coming back in a few weeks to add options and Omotoye probably going back to U23s or loaned. The club might think about it if they go up --------- might think about it!! please don't say we are already making the same mistakes for next season that we did last season. We would need a new forward if we do go up.

Webber and DF only have 17 months left on their contract - no discussions yet. DF might only sign a new one if Webber does.

Denis Mann mentioned as a replacement for Emi if he goes. He was the one the club had earmarked as his replacement in the summer with speculation of Emi moving then. The club will have replacements lined up for Emi.

The left back player has been identified and the deal is in motion but it isn't imminent. Apparently we won't know him and will have to look him up. The hold up is Sorensen's form at left back (He has been decent but isn't a left back) and Byram getting back to fitness. They may decide not to sign him. It will be a permanent rather than a loan and would be someone they feel could make an impact at Premier League level.

Hugill signing is still a little strange as he doesn't fit DF's desired philosophy. The thing he does add is his passion and personality. Very much like Rhodes did. It seems as if there are two different attacking line ups - Pukki Team and Hugill Team. Cantwell - Pukki - Emi and Hernandez - Hugill - Placheta.

Apparently we will not be making many signings and it might just be a GK and then the doors will shut. How happy are we about that?

Asked about us needing to sign another central defender if we go up. The club will sign Gibson for 8 million and that should be them. Hanley - Gibson - Zimmermann and the forth would be Famewo with Omobamidele going out on loan. Again same mistakes. Zimmermann for me isn't good enough for the premiership and I am not sure if he is good enough for the championship. Get another in for the premiership if we do go up please!

Sorensen there are a few question marks over his physicality in midfield in the championship but he did impress with his calmness and passing

If we do go up it would be a different summer because the club would have money to spend (how many times have we heard we have money to spend and don't). Plus there would probably be players leaving that would need replacing.

Omobamidele not on the bench was a surprise but DF wanted all his first team defenders involved. They are surprised at how quickly he has developed.

No news on Byram returning to the pitch. He is back running but he was before and he got his new injury. The club aren't rushing him back and have given him no timeline to return.

Andy Lonergan was considered but the club didn't think he was an upgrade on what they had so passed on him.

Defo need a gk and CB, especially if we go up. If im honest im not sure Gibson signing for 8m would be such a great prem signing.
iIf we go up, if, we need to be keeping aaron and Emi but doesnt look lime that will happen, cant replace those two with unproven players in the prem without having a solid experienced core team, its too risky, but i know this is exactly what the club will do on yet again another shoestring budget they tell us we have!

If we go up we need not sell Emi and Aaron nor Todd, it wouldnt be in their favours to be second fiddle when they are first choice in Citys line up playing in the same league - I suppose the greater chance of azwards and Europe and presumably a bigger salary might tip the balance though. And in any case it would be weird for them to play against City, but loyalty has its prize too I guess

I read this morning that are paying £20,000 out every week of Trybulls wages of £22,000 , so he can help Blackburn win games . Don’t plead poverty to me Norwich City . I also wonder how much we are paying for Leitner ( recently pictured frolicking in the snow )and Drimic to do nothing

They did know there was no cover and subsequently had to play a midfielder there for over 10 games.

We played a right winger (Jamal Lewis) as a left back for a few seasons.

Sorenson played as a LB so there was cover.

I use to have the view of rigidity as to where players played but after Lewis going from his normal right wing role to play as a left back, I feel there is more flexibility.

BTW. anybody remember Total Football played by the Netherlands international team?

As for McCallum, I suspect he has been playing further forward than a LB for Coventry.

As for Mumba, midfield, right back or on the left?

Last edited:
I read this morning that are paying £20,000 out every week of Trybulls wages of £22,000 , so he can help Blackburn win games . Don’t plead poverty to me Norwich City . I also wonder how much we are paying for Leitner ( recently pictured frolicking in the snow )and Drimic to do nothing

Thats why its difficult to offload them before their contracts with NCFC. end.

It is like saying might as well loan Hugill out as Pukki is number 1 forward and best that Hugill gets game time. You need back up. It isn't like we had 3 left backs and McCallum is 3rd choice. You should plan for the worst to happen too. Like the central defender situ too.

The difference is Hugill has enough experience already to play for the first team on a regular basis (if called upon). McCallum and Famewo will presumably get better with more game time (if fit) than sitting on the bench or not selected at all for the matchday squad.

We played a right winger (Jamal Lewis) as a left back for a few seasons.

Sorenson played as a LB so there was cover.

I use to have the view of rigidity as to where players played but after Lewis going from his normal right wing role to play as a left back, I feel there is more flexibility.

BTW. anybody remember Total Football played by the Netherlands international team?

As for McCallum, I suspect he has been playing further forward than a LB for Coventry.

As for Mumba, midfield, right back or on the left?

Every team we play against are spotting the LB position as a weak spot and
getting great success from it.
There has to be like for like cover for each position.
We have an excess of midfielders and not enough defenders.