Jan Transfer Window | Page 21 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

I always like Lichaj but he was a very divisive player.

Darikwa could be dreadful but he had a spell under karanka just before he through a strop and we were playing well where he looked very good.

You’re right though, not been a strong position for us since that guy who filled in last year and then we got shut of in the summer. I forget his name.

If there is one thing all Full Backs must be able to do proficiently, it is to have the ability to defend; Lichaj and Darikwa were abysmal defenders.

Its no good saying ah, but, they are both good going forward, if they cannot do the primary job they are paid to do.

If you have a Full Back who can defend and is good going forward then you have a very good player on your hands.

If there is one thing all Full Backs must be able to do proficiently, it is to have the ability to defend; Lichaj and Darikwa were abysmal defenders.

Its no good saying ah, but, they are both good going forward, if they cannot do the primary job they are paid to do.

If you have a Full Back who can defend and is good going forward then you have a very good player on your hands.
Neither were good going forward.

Darikwa's only attacking move was to kill it by passing back to whoever gave him the ball

In the games I saw he never used to run beyond his winger either, but always stand behind them offering the backpass.

His dogshit.

If you combined all of the positive attributes of Darikwa, Jenkinson and Christie and put them together, you'd have a really good Championship player, but alas, we can't do that and therefore they are all shit and so are we.

Darikwa could be dreadful but he had a spell under karanka just before he through a strop and we were playing well where he looked very good.

You’re right though, not been a strong position for us since that guy who filled in last year and then we got shut of in the summer. I forget his name.

You're right, Mao as usual is just trying to justify continually rating our transfer activity as excellent under Ignatius J Reilly.

Owd through.

Mowatt interesting 2 championship sides again. I hope we are one of them again. Him and whiteman would be exactly what we need to transform our midfield.

This is being denied at the Barnsley end.

He does not look a bad player, but what I cannot understand is, if he is as good as some make out why are only 2 Championship Clubs supposedly interested in a player who has only 5 months remaining on his contract?

You would have thought more Clubs would be after a player like him given the circumstances.

Given the choice between Mowatt and Whiteman I would take Mowatt; he would be an improvement on what we have.

With full backs, I wonder if their limitations are more obvious because of the way that full back has become a more important position in the game and the way they are expected to cover more territory than other positions.

I don’t think any that have been mentioned (Darikwa, Jenkinson, Lichaj, Christie) are that bad for Championship level. Lichaj was a good servant. It’s just that what they can’t do is more obvious than other positions. We might have to make do with full backs that are either decent or weak defensively or offensively, or just kind of average all round, until (if) we ever reach the Prem - unless we luck out with another Cash who comes through the ranks.

With full backs, I wonder if their limitations are more obvious because of the way that full back has become a more important position in the game and the way they are expected to cover more territory than other positions.

I don’t think any that have been mentioned (Darikwa, Jenkinson, Lichaj, Christie) are that bad for Championship level. Lichaj was a good servant. It’s just that what they can’t do is more obvious than other positions. We might have to make do with full backs that are either decent or weak defensively or offensively, or just kind of average all round, until (if) we ever reach the Prem - unless we luck out with another Cash who comes through the ranks.

The way teams are set up now means there is a greater reliance on Full Backs; in some formations a Full Back provides the only width in the side.

On the other hand, they have never had more support available to them; teams that get their width from an attacking Full Back usually play a double pivot which, amongst other things, provides cover.

Having defensive frailties is definitely a huge hinderance though; some Clubs get around it by developing a press game which attempts to keep the ball away from the dodgy Full Back, which is fine when it works; that is not much use at set pieces or when you are under constant pressure because a poor defender will get caught out eventually.

The huge problem with Lichaj and Darikwa was their failure to recognise and learn from what they had done wrong when they fucked up; Darikwa's marking in particular was incredibly poor, and it never got better.

Would be interesting to see stats on average distances covered by players in different positions. In the old days the back four defended, the strikers hung around the other end of the pitch and it seemed that the midfielders did the running. Nowadays the CHs seem to get away with not running too far, but the strikers are certainly expected to do a lot more running, and often seem to be the players who get subbed. Do strikers run round more than FBs and midfielders now? Guess it depends on the teams style of play too, but there must be some sort of averages.

Last edited:
I remember Gullitt once saying that full backs are full backs because they can’t play football. That comment hasn’t aged well.

When you look at some of the Dutch Full Backs throughout time, it really stands out as one of the dumbest things Gullit ever said:

Wim Suurbier
Ruud Krol
Frank De Boor
Danny Blind
Michael Reiziger
Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
Greg Van Der Weil

I'm certain there will be quite a few more

When you look at some of the Dutch Full Backs throughout time, it really stands out as one of the dumbest things Gullit ever said:

Wim Suurbier
Ruud Krol
Frank De Boor
Danny Blind
Michael Reiziger
Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
Greg Van Der Weil

I'm certain there will be quite a few more
What about Winston Bogarde? Was he not there when Gullit was the manager?

I would to see our recruitment team find a buyer for Guerrero and Figs. Pay off, or find a way out for Hefele and Clough and Bachirou.

Recall Brennan and play him in the 10 position, and try and buy Whiteman to play alongside any designated holding midfielder (Sow, Colback, Arter)
Mighten Brennan Knocks behind Taylor or Grabs.

If we can loan out Blackett or Bong that would be a bonus also