What a set of Midweek Results for The Imps | Vital Football

What a set of Midweek Results for The Imps

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
Of the current top 10 only Hull and Imps won. Five defeats and three draws for the others.

Imps now second with only Accrington able to match us if they win both their games in hand.

In fact we've got a game in hand over a few now.

Great midweek, let's back it up with at least a point from The 'dale.

Ridiculous and premature thought/dream I know; but wouldn't it be funny if Little ol' Lincoln and Accy bagged the top two spots.

Imagine the nuclear explosions in places like Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Peterborough with the full effects of salary cap due to kick in during the next couple of seasons.

Ridiculous and premature thought/dream I know; but wouldn't it be funny if Little ol' Lincoln and Accy bagged the top two spots.

Imagine the nuclear explosions in places like Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Peterborough with the full effects of salary cap due to kick in during the next couple of seasons.

Accrington definitely look like they can keep beating the odds and challenge at the top end.
You have to say 100% fair play to them.
Even regaining their Football League status was a major achievement, outperforming many much larger budgeted Conference/National League clubs.
And then to establish themselves back as a League club and win League Two again with probably a smaller budget than nearly all of us.
And still they keep doing it !

Whoever goes up, there will be a number of big clubs who will be stuck in League One for next season and well over the salary cap. I'm looking forward to how some of them are going to make their finances add up next summer.

Whoever goes up, there will be a number of big clubs who will be stuck in League One for next season and well over the salary cap. I'm looking forward to how some of them are going to make their finances add up next summer.
Probably just the usual way of finding under the counter payments to entice/pay the top earners.
Brilliant set of results for the Imps. Just goes to show that anyone can beat anyone in this league and the big boys don’t have it all their own way, though they should with their resources.

They will most likely find a way around the rules, that’s how expensive accountants and lawyers earn the money.

And that's before you add in whoever comes down from The Championship.

isn’t there a formula? Existing players are given an average salary figure with new signings falling within the cap. Same idea as clubs relegated not suddenly having to get rid of their entire squad?

isn’t there a formula? Existing players are given an average salary figure with new signings falling within the cap. Same idea as clubs relegated not suddenly having to get rid of their entire squad?
I'm not clear on exactly how it works but as I understand it all pre existing contracts would be honoured and disregarded for the purposes of the cap - hence the raised eye brows at the delayed implementation date to allow some clubs to get a few last minute deals over the line.

The problem for the 'big' clubs is that as those contracts expire over the next couple of years they then have to fall in line.

Edit - For example Sunderland had about 60 players named on their books going into this season.

I'm not clear on exactly how it works but as I understand it all pre existing contracts would be honoured and disregarded for the purposes of the cap - hence the raised eye brows at the delayed implementation date to allow some clubs to get a few last minute deals over the line.

The problem for the 'big' clubs is that as those contracts expire over the next couple of years they then have to fall in line.

Exactly - suddenly being over the salary cap next Summer isn’t really an issue was my point.

Exactly - suddenly being over the salary cap next Summer isn’t really an issue was my point.
Yes it's the going forward that in theory is going to hurt them as they won't automatically be able to pay ridiculous wages in an attempt to buy their way out of the league.

They may have to resort to notions such as good managers, coaching and youth development - perish the thought.

It changes slightly next season.

This season, players already under contract were used at the average L1 figure and anyone not included in the squad list weren't counted towards the cap (I think I read they're only counted at the average if their weekly wage is above that figure - obviously if someone is on £500 a week then they'll not be calculated at, for arguments sake, a league average of £2k/week).

Next season, the average L1 figure is still used for those who were already under contract pre-cap but then everyone is taken into account so it doesn't matter whether a player is in or out of a squad list, they'll all be counted. That gave those with large squads time to get rid of players and/or for contracts to expire.

So the salary cap tightens up next season and will do for another couple of years after that as pre-cap contracts run out.

They will most likely find a way around the rules, that’s how expensive accountants and lawyers earn the money.
What prevents club owners who have separate businesses employing players within those businesses as "Brand Ambassadors" or similar with attractive salaries to top up their overall remuneration?

I probably haven’t understood it right, but if clubs have players already under contract and are ‘exempt’ from the full salary cap, is this why MA gave the new players three year contracts? Just a thought, but probably wrong.

Steve Evans to Sunderland or Ipswich, he has a unique insight into what needs to be done.

Amazing some people complained we only just beat lowly Wigan; look at all the other results, no forgone conclusions in this league.
After midweek, including Rochdale's pummelling of Plymouth, I'd take an away point at Spotland now.

I probably haven’t understood it right, but if clubs have players already under contract and are ‘exempt’ from the full salary cap, is this why MA gave the new players three year contracts? Just a thought, but probably wrong.
Maybe - a lot of Club's were handing out longer deals. Blackpool signed someone on a 4+1 I think, Posh 4 year for Clarke-Harris etc.

That said, if you're trying to do what we are, then 3 year deals are the sort of contracts you need to be handing out to protect yourselves so it's probably more of a coincidence. How many did we signed for 3 years? Just Hopper (pre-Covid) and Jones (post-Covid)?