EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 661 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Erm... ...isn’t that exactly what the withdrawal agreement did?
Which is exactly why the Internal Market Bill will come in to U.K. law if necessary.
It now appears clear that the U.K. signed up to the WA is a means of moving the process on. Nothing more, nothing less.
The Eu seems to think that they have an international, legally binding treaty, keeping the U.K. under their jurisdiction.
The U.K. have seen it as a means to an end.

Which is exactly why the Internal Market Bill will come in to U.K. law if necessary.
It now appears clear that the U.K. signed up to the WA is a means of moving the process on. Nothing more, nothing less.
The Eu seems to think that they have an international, legally binding treaty, keeping the U.K. under their jurisdiction.
The U.K. have seen it as a means to an end.

Or a means of breaking all the promises we already signed up to.

It looks as if we are going to roll over the Canada-EU trade deal, which is good news. Let's hope we conclude rolling over the rest of the EU deals. Once we get an agreement with the EU, we can all get on with our lives as if nothing of significance has actually changed

A billion pounds well spent. We can finally show those beaurocrats in Brussels that we can go in our own direction and get exactly what they got us already but without their help! Well worth bankrupting our future for! Take that Johnny Foreigner! Who looks stupid now?

A billion pounds well spent. We can finally show those beaurocrats in Brussels that we can go in our own direction and get exactly what they got us already but without their help! Well worth bankrupting our future for! Take that Johnny Foreigner! Who looks stupid now?

Depends on whether you think a trillion euro bailout also makes the mighty Brussels look stupid. How long will that take to pay back? Will that not bankrupt young Europeans' future?

Their help? with an additional helping of interference and control as usual, continuing with an attempt to deny us our basic sovereignty and independence in free trade talks, hence why the Internal Market Bill is being passed when it should never have been necessary.

It is either stupidity or arrogance. You decide.

Isn't it strange how all these nations are happy to roll over their EU trade deals with the little 'ol UK.

There was I thinking that it was only the might and size of the EU market that allowed them to get such favourable terms.

I fear that our friend Trashbat is starting to make himself look a little bit ridiculous now, just as WayneKerr did.
You don’t agree with leaving the Eu.
Fine.
We get that.
But we have.
To attempt to ridicule the roll over deals that the U.K. has done doesn’t make any sense.

Remember, WayneKerr said it couldn’t be done.
It would take ten years to renegotiate all the existing deals and he laughed when I said it was all in the pipeline.
I expect like a hardcore few, he would still find a negative.
Before the end of the transition period, every single roll over deal that the U.K. wants will be completed.
There are some where we are looking for more favourable terms in the new year.
Then, onto the big wide world of operating like a normal country.

I fear that our friend Trashbat is starting to make himself look a little bit ridiculous now, just as WayneKerr did.
You don’t agree with leaving the Eu.
Fine.
We get that.
But we have.
To attempt to ridicule the roll over deals that the U.K. has done doesn’t make any sense.

Remember, WayneKerr said it couldn’t be done.
It would take ten years to renegotiate all the existing deals and he laughed when I said it was all in the pipeline.
I expect like a hardcore few, he would still find a negative.
Before the end of the transition period, every single roll over deal that the U.K. wants will be completed.
There are some where we are looking for more favourable terms in the new year.
Then, onto the big wide world of operating like a normal country.
Something like 20% of what is currently been covered by free trade deals has currently been carried forward. Some of those agreed include huge health warnings that they are, in themselves, subject to the UK reaching a deal with the EU, e.g. Switzerland because of country of origin rules and alignment of standards.

Something like 20% of what is currently been covered by free trade deals has currently been carried forward. Some of those agreed include huge health warnings that they are, in themselves, subject to the UK reaching a deal with the EU, e.g. Switzerland because of country of origin rules and alignment of standards.
But the Eu and U.K. will do a free trade deal, either shortly or very soon after.
Neither can afford to lose free access to each other’s markets.

Then, there is RCEP and the USA to speak with.
The future for the U.K. is potentially very bright.

Last edited:
But the Eu and U.K. will do a free trade deal, either shortly or very soon after.
Neither can afford to lose free access to each other’s markets.

The unknown is whether the EU are prepared to risk the further break up of the EU by offering the UK the prize of free access to the single market. If we have access for nothing other countries might ask for the same deal.

The EU might decide protecting the EU might be worth the pain of tariffs. It will hurt us more as they can still trade freely with each other.

The unknown is whether the EU are prepared to risk the further break up of the EU by offering the UK the prize of free access to the single market. If we have access for nothing other countries might ask for the same deal.

The EU might decide protecting the EU might be worth the pain of tariffs. It will hurt us more as they can still trade freely with each other.
Well, they were quite happy to offer free access to Japan, South Korea and Canada plus numerous others and they don’t import to our level.
If fact nothing like it.
Their loss.
They can ask North Macedonia to pick up the slack.
But the reality is, it will happen, now the penny has actually dropped.

They will not be offering access to the single market as presumably both sides will be introducing some customs checks on imports/exports that were previously unnecessary and obviously we will no longer have the "benefit" of free movement of labour. They are what the EU regard as the "prizes" that membership still includes.

As Shotshy says, all we are looking for is a mutually beneficial free trade deal, and lots of countries have obtained those with the EU.

Well, they were quite happy to offer free access to Japan, South Korea and Canada plus numerous others and they don’t import to our level.
If fact nothing like it.
Their loss.
They can ask North Macedonia to pick up the slack.
But the reality is, it will happen, now the penny has actually dropped.

Yeah but none of those were ex- members who "broke away".

We have stopped paying in huge sums in to the EU coffers there really is no way we can expect to trade on the same terms. What's the point of the membership fee .

It may be mutually beneficial from a trade perspective but can't be acceptable from an EU political/solidarity perspective to let us have the same benefits without "paying in". Does that happen in any club ?

Just watched an interview with a labour activist , who explains why people voted Brexit.

He explains things far better than I ever could.

We have stopped paying in huge sums in to the EU coffers there really is no way we can expect to trade on the same terms. What's the point of the membership fee
It may be mutually beneficial from a trade perspective but can't be acceptable from an EU political/solidarity perspective to let us have the same benefits without "paying in". Does that happen in any club ?

Actually, from a moral point of views we should be MORE entitled to a free trade deal, on the basis that we have been paying our subs for 40 odd years whereas Japan, Canada and South Korea have paid exactly zilch.

Hard to say that a free trade deal is a benefit when the current trade imbalance would mean that if tariffs are introduced, they will apply to far more EU manufactured products than UK manufactured products. Free trade is therefore almost certainly more of benefit to the EU in monetary terms.

You have hit the nail on the head regarding the EU's attitude though. This issue shows that they are more of a political institution than a commercial one, hence why they are putting trade benefits behind points scoring.

We have stopped paying in huge sums in to the EU coffers there really is no way we can expect to trade on the same terms. What's the point of the membership fee .

Unless I have totally misunderstood what it going on Mark, the U.K. is not even trying to continue to ‘trade on the same terms’
We have said from day one that we will leave the customs union and the single market.
Teresa May made that very clear although Brussels still asked for more clarity.

What is offered by the U.K. side is an off the shelf trade deal. (Canada)
It’s the Eu who are over complicating it.

I voted remain.
I am now starting to think we should just make a clean break on WTO terms.
Next year we can look at discussing a deal that doesn't include fishing, interference in our laws, the EU might then start to see us as a self governing country.

I voted remain.
I am now starting to think we should just make a clean break on WTO terms.
Next year we can look at discussing a deal that doesn't include fishing, interference in our laws, the EU might then start to see us as a self governing country.
There’s no problem with fishing in my opinion.
It’s fine to allow Eu boats access to U.K. fishing grounds, but the key issue is that we decide the level, not them.
We need access to the European market and in return for that, it’s only fair that their boats should be allowed to fish U.K. waters.
That doesn’t mean the status quo.
The U.K. has offered a transitional period that the Eu has so far rejected.
Personally, I think we are being reasonable but I’m happy to be corrected if anyone sees it differently.

There’s no problem with fishing in my opinion.
It’s fine to allow Eu boats access to U.K. fishing grounds, but the key issue is that we decide the level, not them.
We need access to the European market and in return for that, it’s only fair that their boats should be allowed to fish U.K. waters.

I don't think the intention was ever to ban EU boats from our waters but I have heard UK fishermen claim that they are actually prevented from fishing in some of our territorial waters, and to catch some species, where EU boats can still fish.

If that is true, it proves what a nonsense the current position is, and how ludicrous it is that we have no control over it.

Of course, we have to protect stocks but if anywhere is being overfished it is the foreign boats that should be the first to reduce their catch.

I don't think the intention was ever to ban EU boats from our waters but I have heard UK fishermen claim that they are actually prevented from fishing in some of our territorial waters, and to catch some species, where EU boats can still fish.

If that is true, it proves what a nonsense the current position is, and how ludicrous it is that we have no control over it.

Maybe oversimplified explanation but fishermen are allowed to catch a certain amount of fish based upon the quotas which need to be purchased. When UK waters became EU waters, a lot of the EU fishing fleets were larger and usually used bigger boats and so were very quickly able to put UK fishing fleets out of business** and buy up the available quotas and renewed them annually (or whatever period the quotas cover)

Hence the EU fleets with quotas for UK territorial waters can freely fish there while the UK fleets are unable to get the quotas to be able to also do so.

** or in many cases force UK fishermen to downsize their fleets and sell off quota they couldn't catch in order to survive