Forest v Barnsley, good luck thread. | Page 7 | Vital Football

Forest v Barnsley, good luck thread.

With players like Christie & knockers the whole team needs to adopt an attacking approach.

We've lost so much defensive quality for one reason or another, and added decently in attack (plus Lolley & Grabban are still 2 genuine top 6 attackers when fit & firing).

For me we just have to accept we're out to score more than the opposition, and try to win games 3-2 as opposed to 1-0.

But that aint Hughton's natural game.

What a complete clusterfuck by those running the club. Again.

It feels very much to me like this is going to be a "building for next season" job. I don't think for one minute that is the remit given to Hughton, but that's how it's going to be. We need to scrape by into mid table this season and consolidate Hughton's style of play.

These players need to learn how to attack and score again. We'll need a good Grabban replacement. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll be looking very good, albeit far too far away to challenge and probably still inconsistent

It feels very much to me like this is going to be a "building for next season" job. I don't think for one minute that is the remit given to Hughton, but that's how it's going to be. We need to scrape by into mid table this season and consolidate Hughton's style of play.

These players need to learn how to attack and score again. We'll need a good Grabban replacement. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll be looking very good, albeit far too far away to challenge and probably still inconsistent

I think that's very much the case, and that this season is dead in the water in terms of promotion.

The best thing we can do from here is allow Hughton to build HIS team, not lumber him with a ton of shit & mish-mashed players like we have before.

Mental that we keep employ proven managers like Hughton, AK & MON, yet bellends who have never played the game think lumbering them with a ton of dross players like Bonatini, Bachirou, Soudani etc. is gonna help them & us.

It's like hiring a plumber to do your bathroom, then getting you own tools to it at night when he pops off home for tea.

They have to let him choose the players, in theory he's only got 1 player he chose, if they force these random players on him he won't stay.

Wonder if he's considering the 3 at the back yet seems more and more in this league are using it, Barnsley, Watford, Bournemouth, Coventry and I'm sure a few others are we've enough decent centre backs to play it.

We said this when we beat Coventry; at this level, take your chances of be prepared to get arsefucked. Barnsley had two shots on target and scored both.

You can say that to the power of ten in the PL.

Forest had plenty of chances, took none.

Opened us up to a sucker punch with a worldie and a stupid mistake from a team that was banking on a late winner and gave up when they went behind

They hit the woodwork on multiple occasions and had lots of other good chances and threat in dangerous areas.

I think that's very much the case, and that this season is dead in the water in terms of promotion.

The best thing we can do from here is allow Hughton to build HIS team, not lumber him with a ton of shit & mish-mashed players like we have before.

Mental that we keep employ proven managers like Hughton, AK & MON, yet bellends who have never played the game think lumbering them with a ton of dross players like Bonatini, Bachirou, Soudani etc. is gonna help them & us.

It's like hiring a plumber to do your bathroom, then getting you own tools to it at night when he pops off home for tea.

Isn't it lovely to write off a season AGAIN....before Xmas.
Fuck me we really are shit.

We absolutely did not deserve to win that, not even close. I'm not sure we deserved to lose though.

Hughton is having to try to find the right balance as SL did between us carrying more threat and being more vulnerable.

Today there was much better passing and movement, probably the most threat we've shown all season.

But we were also incredibly vulnerable against a side unlikely to be in the top half come season end. They could easily have had 5...

Knockeart lacks discipline and Christie isn't remotely good enough to cover him. Which leaves the team horribly unbalanced and our midfielders and center backs getting pulled out of position.

Colback looks a shadow of Watson, and the likes of Freeman who we had high hopes for just aren't performing at all.

This is where a good manager earns his corn...

They played well, we played well but we fluffed our lines it's a shame Taylor Didn't have one of Guerrero's chances, he only had that header and the keeper did well their keeper was very good all game. What was samba so animated about after that rocket hit the top corner?

Not claiming otherwise.

But we were 3/0 for shots on target and they were 2/2

Just saying sucker punch isn't an accurate characterisation. You're right that we could and should have scored a couple before they get their goals but so should they have.

if we had snuck it at the end they would have felt very unlucky given the threat they had all game.

They played well, we played well but we fluffed our lines it's a shame Taylor Didn't have one of Guerrero's chances, he only had that header and the keeper did well their keeper was very good all game. What was samba so animated about after that rocket hit the top corner?

Ball before it was pulled back was out of play .

Just saying sucker punch isn't an accurate characterisation. You're right that we could and should have scored a couple before they get their goals but so should they have.

if we had snuck it at the end they would have felt very unlucky given the threat they had all game.
True

But we as fans have become used to taking our chances being our schtick. Low xp, high points harvest over the last 14 months.

That's why it feels like, with that number of chances, we "should" have won, even if that feeling is inaccurate.

The central point still stands though; that game, as with most in the SBC, belongs to whoever takes their chances. We did against Coventry but not at Oakwell

For the vast majority of that game I thought we played very well. The passing and movement was good, we had good tempo and we were defending well, in the main. Maybe the best we have looked this season.

But, as we know, football is not about dominating possession or looking good; it’s about what goes on in both penalty areas. You are a non -functioning football team if you can’t take your chances and score goals. We were once again guilty of appalling misses. Guerrero is a decent footballer but isn't a goalscorer. Not only that, we came up against last ditch tackles and great blocks.

In defence we are lacking that determination and grit to stop a shot or a cross, like our lives depend on it (Barnsley had that). Both fullbacks are very good going forward but don’t have that grit in defence.

A depressing result but we are still way under achieving. We have the players to be top 6 but are still not a functioning team.