Oxford tomorrow | Page 6 | Vital Football

Oxford tomorrow

Teenagers are kids John. In any way of life. If they were a plumber, or a leccy, or an engineer, they'd be part way through their apprenticeship.

Granted, Merrie and Perry are a little older, but they're barely "time served".

If you watched Rioch's pre match interview, he rightly said that ideally, you'd be blooding them a couple at a time.. .. we haven't had that luxury.
How many. Did we think would make the grade. Two off the best went. Not many out of youth teams make it. So clearly they are not good enough.

You cannot fault the effort,just lacking in savvy and experience of half the team!The youngsters don't yet have the strength and as we say in Racing need to grow into their bodies!We can afford to play one or two of them ,but not the number we are forced to use!Hopefully the new owners can get whoever is manager some experienced heads to settle things down!!

How many. Did we think would make the grade. Two off the best went. Not many out of youth teams make it. So clearly they are not good enough.
I don't think it's clear they aren't good enough,just the fact we are forced to bring in too many at once

=>19yrs are not kids they are young men and let's stop kidding ourselves that we are going to see them improving at League one level.
Harsh as it sounds they do not possess the skills for this League.

Sid, consider my analogy re apprentices. they're not kids, but they're not full time pros either.

Obi and Joseph at 19 are both learning every week ........ as they should be. Joseph I think is going to be a great hit.

At 22, Merrie, Perry and Pearce (and Crankshaw) are putting in their all every week. Yes. they make an occasional mistake (Perry today) but they've been no disgrace.

At 18, Aasgard looks a real one for the future.

I really don't mean to be rude Sid, but I trust Gregor Rioch's view of whether or nor they'll (eventually) be good enough ............ but regardless, for the time being, they're all we have.

So what's the point in having a go at them John?

I actually agree with you re the likelihood of the numbers making the grade, but the younger ones certainly look like they may have what it takes.

Last edited:
And now 19 is past it FFS. I tell ya what. Look at all teams in championship and League one and name me a side that is playing many that age. Why your there find a team that has played 6 lads from their academies today who have made their debuts this season.

Sid, consider my analogy re apprentices. they're not kids, but they're not full time pros either.

Obi and Joseph at 19 are both learning every week ........ as they should be. Joseph I think is going to be a great hit.

At 22, Merrie, Perry and Pearce (and Crankshaw) are putting in their all every week. Yes. they make an occasional mistake (Perry today) but they've been no disgrace.

At 18, Aasgard looks a real one for the future.

I really don't mean to be rude Sid, but I trust Gregor Rioch's view of whether or nor they'll (eventually) be good enough ............ but regardless, for the time being, they're all we have.

Your not being rude and I pray that I am wrong and that your trust in Rioch's view comes to fruition but every single game so far this season including our wins we have been played off the pitch.

I disagree Sid. Lots of games, maybe, but not every single game.

We could very easily have taken a point or three from today.

Moan all we like but this squad is too naive and inexperienced to stay in this league. Spanish need to bring in 7 or 8 players otherwise it’ll be another relegation. No point in pretending otherwise. Given we can only bring in frees if they are of the same standard of the frees we’ve already brought it we’ll be up shit creek in league 2 next season.

Seems to me the EFL are dragging this out so long just to be spiteful. They got rightly slagged off for waving that Chinese ******* through so are doing this to see us completely fucked. How many times does the same piece of paper need to be read...they are either fit and proper or they are not. Make a bloody decision you cock sucking bastards.

Seems to me the EFL are dragging this out so long just to be spiteful. They got rightly slagged off for waving that Chinese ******* through so are doing this to see us completely fucked. How many times does the same piece of paper need to be read...they are either fit and proper or they are not. Make a bloody decision you cock sucking bastards.
I agree, i think the EFL are waiting till we are virtually relegated before they make a decision, so we will have another relegation and the EFL can say
''It's not me Guv''.

I don't think Rioch said anything that was particularly telling about Sheridan going. It was the generic type of think a caretaker would say after a string of bad results.

Gary Roberts was defending Sheridan on his way out the door when fans were slating him when he had nothing to gain by doing so. There is no doubt Sheridan wasn't getting results and the players weren't playing well but i'm not sure it was down to losing the dressing room. Think it was probably more down to substandard players making basic mistakes every games and a sub standard manager not able to fix the problems.
But nothing to do with the players on show are not good enough OK they say kids playing fair enough but still more I see it more I feel these lot well some won't make the grade at a higher level
This has to be one of the worst teams I have seen in a while wearing a latics shirt
No fault of their own it's all we have been left with after the fire sale and situation we are in has left us in
Soon has new owners come in new manager and to be honest a new team from scratch harsh but true

Best team won today,although we could've snatched a point after Aasgaards goal or if Joseph had taken that glorious chance after the drop from their keeper at 0-0.

Thought we needed another midfielder in there today. Oxford seemed to have an extra man and dominated that area in particular.IMO Perry (although it was a bad error for the 2nd goal) and Aasgaard should've come on much earlier for Palmer and Gardener or Massey,who I thought were all poor, especially as the experienced players.Joseph,who I thought was our only bright spark in the final third could then go out wide were he looked dangerous running at their defence.

As well as Joseph I thought Jones had a decent game,making several good saves,Tilt looked solid and Obi did well on the whole.

We must keep going and Bristol Rovers who are down there with us is another opportunity to get a much needed win,especially if Naismith/Evans are available.I know Oxford are as well but I believe they will start climbing the table with that team,which reached the play off final last season.They looked quite slick at times and played some decent football.

It's important we don't get too despondent and try not to get too far cut adrift of 5th bottom. When Naismith and Evans return they should make a big difference and hopefully the new owners come in next week,along with a few frees before January and I believe then we can start picking up results.Don't get me wrong,it's going to be extremely tough to save this season,but i'm not writing it off yet with so much football still left to play.

Joseph was decent but should have scored a couple, but he gets into some good positions and in the right areas, so only time. Sadly we don't have the luxury of being as patient with players, they have the pressure of having to perform.

But nothing to do with the players on show are not good enough OK they say kids playing fair enough but still more I see it more I feel these lot well some won't make the grade at a higher level
This has to be one of the worst teams I have seen in a while wearing a latics shirt
No fault of their own it's all we have been left with after the fire sale and situation we are in has left us in
Soon has new owners come in new manager and to be honest a new team from scratch harsh but true

We've seen some kids more than others but from what we've seen i don't think any of them are going to stay at this level (Asgaard maybe has something about him). The gap between u23 football and the senior game even at a lower level is huge and unfortunately we are realising our academy isn't as fruitful as we hoped. You can sometimes see the young lads have potential but are rough around the edges and need seasoning but I think most of our kids just don't look like they have the raw ability to improve enough to make the step up. I can see why many of them failed to make an impact out on loan at non league.

If we are planning to rely on our academy for the bulk of our starting 11 moving forward we will be in huge trouble unless we can produce vastly better players than the current crop. Easier said than done - for how well the academy appeared to be doing at youth level it unfortunately means nothing if the lads struggle in the first team.

Last edited: