Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15 | Page 32 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15

All three goals are wonderful. The first for me is quite refreshing, as building up the play on the edge of the opposition box with a bit of composure playing a couple of “right” passes rather than do too much of lift the ball is a very pleasing goal. It’s something we haven’t been that great at, but that sort of play is where we want Jack and Barkley playing, meaning the likes of Ollie and Bertrand at some point will both be able to get on the end of chances.

All three goals are wonderful. The first for me is quite refreshing, as building up the play on the edge of the opposition box with a bit of composure playing a couple of “right” passes rather than do too much of lift the ball is a very pleasing goal. It’s something we haven’t been that great at, but that sort of play is where we want Jack and Barkley playing, meaning the likes of Ollie and Bertrand at some point will both be able to get on the end of chances.

Targetts movement to help Barkley and Super Jack for the first goal is outstanding.

Targett's turning into an intelligent player going forward. If he sorts out the defensive side of his game a bit more then he might save us a bit of money in January.

Targett was excellent all game. Everyone was really, but Targett and Luiz, who’ve rightly got some stick as of late, had their best games of the season.

If Targett is the weak link then we’re in a good place this year boyz!

Agree Targett had a good game.

It seems that modern academies only produce two different types of full backs - those that can tackle and are good in their own half but can't cross etc; and those that are good going forward but lack defensive know how.

Targett is clearly the latter and in games when you have the upper hand and are pressing high up the pitch he will look good - like yesterday! When you're up against it and having to defend for long periods then he needs more cover and support.

This is about how Dean wants to play and how he organises the team as a unit to cover and support players like this - he clearly wants to play the Klopp way and so will have his FBs high up the pitch and overlapping. So you need to buy the players and coach accordingly.

Targetts movement to help Barkley and Super Jack for the first goal is outstanding.

Targett and Jack play well together. Targett does give him space and knows to get out the way to free it up for him.

I did give Targett a bit of criticism at the start of the game as he was playing some sloppy passes, but overall he was good going forward.

Targett's turning into an intelligent player going forward. If he sorts out the defensive side of his game a bit more then he might save us a bit of money in January.
There was a moment in the first half when the ball was down between the goal and corner flag, the ball was up in the air and Targett was behind Willian .... Targett read the danger and attacked the ball and cleared it upfield, I remember thinking the Targett of last year would have let the ball bounce and given Willian time to control the ball. Fair play to him, he played well last night

More than happy with the result and performance, we just need some consistency now but we've shown we are no pushovers this season and no longer a one man team. Last season was all about Grealish, you stop Grealish and you stop Villa. This season we have McGinn and Luiz who have improved from last season and the likes of Barkley who take the preassure off Jack. Yes they can put 2 players on Jack but then that opens up space for Barkley and others. We are giving the opposition problems. We can counter at pace and in Watkins we have a forward with speed, can hold up the ball, can drift wide to pull defenders out of position. Not sure we can finish the season in European qualification place, although it would be fantastic if we did, but I reckon if we can finish top 10, we have a platform to kick on again from. We should be seriously thinking about signing Barkley permanently in January cos him and Jack have struck up an incredible partnership and have the potential to be massive for us. We opened up Arsenal's defence (the meanest defence in the Prem who had only shipped 7 goals in 7 games) and could easily have had 4 or 5.

according the Wrighty we are John Travolta walking down the street in Saturday Night Fever, we have that swagger. I think he was asked a few weeks ago if he could play for any team right now in the Prem who would he choose and he said Villa. Good times are hopefully on the horizon

Still can't get enough of the win last night despite watching the highlights and the Arsenal fans reactions on AFTv to our and especially Jack's performance. Every one contributed to the win. The epitome of a proper team performance. I would like for us to attack like we did yesterday by keeping possession and passing the ball at a slow to moderate pace until we find the right moment to quickly raise the pace to get the ball to Ollie to score. Personally, I would prefer the kind of quick and in numbers way of attack that Leeds use, however, I am fine with whatever works best for us. That pass from Luiz to Barkley and from Barkley to Ollie were both world-class. McGinn showed a lot of improvement. I was worried about losing Heaton to injury but in Martinez we have it seems found a fantastic replacement. Ollie was fantastic in everything he did yesterday. Hope he continues to work hard on improving further. Seems like a very humble person.

As much as I would love to enjoy the win even more, I am worried about a shit performance against Brighton.🙄

Traore may be a bit of a luxury to try and fit in when he's fit. Trez may not be easy on the eye but his work rate and enthusiasm are vital to the balance of the side.

I love Trez.

A lot of great teams of the past always seemed to have at least one of those players that you maybe think aren't at the same level as others.... but are a combo of being a bit underrated, and the perfect fit for the balance of the team (I'm thinking players like Nicky Butt, Ray Parlour... must be loads) that ended up winning loads of medals and being vital.

For where we are at now, at least, to me- he feels like a vital part of it.