Holding in area!! | Vital Football

Holding in area!!

Charliejoejohn2

Vital Squad Member
Frank Lampard says it’s ok to hold players in the box. Yet head locks are not allowed. Chelsea right back James was holding and looked like he was trying to have sex with Maguire at all the corners. Now according to Lampards rules that’s ok. Then when Maguire does same to his player apparently it’s a penalty working to his rules. I’ve got news for the Mardy Arse. BOTH ARE PENS!!! It’s ridiculous what going on in the area in the premier league at corners etc. Far too much being overlooked by refs!!

cant stand him ,and glad hes gonna fail, players already pulling their faces cause theyre not playing

Holding, shirt pulling, hand ball - it's at a stage where I don't understand any of it.

Egan gets sent off, David Luiz doesn't, Dallas gets away with pulling Ampadu's shirt in the box. Berge gets tripped last night and Robertson thinks he's playing for the LA Lakers.

The PL should give Collina a secondment with absolute power to sort this rubbish tip fire out.

I know it's a non starter but never say never. Mangers and coaches might take some responsibility for how their players conduct themselves on the pitch, but as you say self interest prevails.

It really started with Wenger who never saw an incident that his player might have dived, or faked, or anything else. I'm not saying it didn't happen before, Frannie Lee tried his arm cheating quite a few times and others did too, but Wenger then Mourinho and the overseas players have elevated it to art-form. Now you cannot be successful without faking.

It really started with Wenger who never saw an incident that his player might have dived, or faked, or anything else. I'm not saying it didn't happen before, Frannie Lee tried his arm cheating quite a few times and others did too, but Wenger then Mourinho and the overseas players have elevated it to art-form. Now you cannot be successful without faking.
Not helped by the pundits mantra " you should go down if you feel the slightest touch"

Re. shirt pulling/wrestling in the area. tell all clubs that,from next week, a penalty will be awarded by the ref and/or the VAR cameras wwhen picked up anywhere in the box and it would be ended by Bonfire night.

I don't think any clubs players are blame free from using it to gain an advantage and certainly it's not confined to overseas players. I find it slightly hypocritical when managers moan about it.

As we've seen, if you don't fake it and dive and hold and generally spend the game trying to get unfair advantage then you are fools. We play the game to honestly.

.... on a serious note, referee decisions, along with VAR, don't seem to be consistent. I know that this has always been a long standing discussion between fans but VAR was brought it to iron out these decisions and make it easier for referees to give decisions.

.... on a serious note, referee decisions, along with VAR, don't seem to be consistent. I know that this has always been a long standing discussion between fans but VAR was brought it to iron out these decisions and make it easier for referees to give decisions.
Don't fall for it BM, yes, it was sold as a system to bring consistency and fairness but what it really does is give the authorities the opportunity to interfere in the game if it's not going the way they want.
The only consistency it has brought is the complete inconsistency of when VAR CHOOSES TO INTERFERE and on behalf of, or against, which club.

It’s had the opposite effect if anything officials are now reluctant to make decisions and prepared to let var take the flack this letting play carry on when someone is clearly offside is a joke just put the effin flag up it’s totally altering the course of the game as well as wasting time,VAR could be an excellent tool if only it was used properly unfortunately the fuckwits in charge of it have gone on an ego trip and totally lost the plot,remember clear and obvious ? No me neither they’ve never got near how it’s supposed to be used :arrghh:

Bradford's Jackie Pallo there kicking sand in School Girl's face.

Has to be the worst piece of officiating I've seen in 30 odd years watching United, and there's plenty of competition.
Absolutely shocking I’d still put it behind the ref and linos inability to trust their own eyes with the ghost goal at villa last season tho

Don't fall for it BM, yes, it was sold as a system to bring consistency and fairness but what it really does is give the authorities the opportunity to interfere in the game if it's not going the way they want.
The only consistency it has brought is the complete inconsistency of when VAR CHOOSES TO INTERFERE and on behalf of, or against, which club.

Agreed, but as we all know equality should be spread equally not be selective. Clubs shouldn't benefit from this technology just because of who they are.

Admittedly, whilst United lost a lot of goals last season to VAR, United did occasionally benefit from it, ie. Basham red card at Norwich, and West Ham's late goal at the Lane. I think every team last season were the victim of poor VAR decisions and along the way, this season will be the same.

Question is, what can we do about it?

Agreed, but as we all know equality should be spread equally not be selective. Clubs shouldn't benefit from this technology just because of who they are.

Admittedly, whilst United lost a lot of goals last season to VAR, United did occasionally benefit from it, ie. Basham red card at Norwich, and West Ham's late goal at the Lane. I think every team last season were the victim of poor VAR decisions and along the way, this season will be the same.

Question is, what can we do about it?

Not sure what WE can do about it but the authorities could-

Make it mandatory for all decisions to be explained LIVE after the match.( authority is commensurate with responsibility so explain yourselves)
Only use it for line decisions until they have a) sacked Riley
b)made it mandatory for the ref to view the pitch monitor for all subjective i.e open to interpretation decsions.
Allow the manager an appeal in each half of the game-within 15 seconds of any incident occurring (similar to cricket) If the appeal is valid then re-instate the appeal.
Introduce retrospective punishments for offences REGARDLESS of whether it has been 'seen' (or ignored) by he ref at the time.( 2 wrongs don't make a right).
Amend the arcane rules that don't allow one set of officials ,VAR, to intrude in the other, the on field officials' decisions, to prevent absolute farcical decisions by hiding behind the (existing)'rules that don't allow them to look at that' eg ghost goal v Villa
Review ref and VAR ref performance twice a year and take sanctions when the official has made more than ,say, 3 mistakes, regardless of whether they were spotted during the game or after the review of the game- which will be needed for retrospective punishments.

The game will take longer but, as it already does, and , as the aim of VAR is to get it right, then taking longer is not a valid reason for not getting to the correct decision. If perfection is the aim then go for it. It's either 100% workable or a failure , there's no halfway house so live with the consequences of that aim.If it destroys the appetite for football watching then the authorities need to look in the mirror and decide what they want or, rather, what will keep the gravy train on track.

I agree it's not football as we know it but it hasn't been for ages so go the whole hog if the aim is to get everything absolutely spot on or scrap it and live with the injustices.

To an extent they do, in some cases explain why decisions were made, online. Although I admit it's not widely publicised.

The Premier League website attempts to explain why Egan was sent off at Villa whilst there was only a yellow card in the penalty where Basham was fouled; https://www.premierleague.com/news/1840580

Same here, they explain how off-sides are determined by VAR, using Lundstram at Tottenham last season as a prime example; https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423