Coronavirus | Page 69 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

For me, that is exactly why "local" lockdown won't work.
Arbitrary borders for these rules are just ridiculous. My dad lives 1 mile over shire dyke from Newark, in Lincolnshire. If Notts ends up as Tier 3, a place a mile away isn't, yet all of those people will have been heading over the border for shops, work and what bit of leisure is available, and will have to continue to do so.

Borders are arbitrary by their very nature. A line has to be drawn somewhere. No matter where the line is drawn there will still be people who are able to cross the "border". This isn't the DDR. The overall amount of close contact will be reduced. This is the ultimate aim - an attempt to avoid another national lockdown.

Are national lockdowns a good or a bad thing? I'm struggling to keep up.

For me, that is exactly why "local" lockdown won't work.
Arbitrary borders for these rules are just ridiculous. My dad lives 1 mile over shire dyke from Newark, in Lincolnshire. If Notts ends up as Tier 3, a place a mile away isn't, yet all of those people will have been heading over the border for shops, work and what bit of leisure is available, and will have to continue to do so.

In total agreement . to be honest my village is very small , The High street is about the length of a football pitch . One side is Greater Manchester soon to be in tier 3 1/2 mile away, I am in tier 2 , and 500 yards the other way is High Peak , Derbyshire in Tier 1. so in just over 1000 yards there are 3 tiers . How bloody stupid . As it happens 90pc of our pubs in the village do meals , so should we go into tier 3 all is well :cheers:

In total agreement . to be honest my village is very small , The High street is about the length of a football pitch . One side is Greater Manchester soon to be in tier 3 1/2 mile away, I am in tier 2 , and 500 yards the other way is High Peak , Derbyshire in Tier 1. so in just over 1000 yards there are 3 tiers . How bloody stupid . As it happens 90pc of our pubs in the village do meals , so should we go into tier 3 all is well :cheers:

Yes you should be in tier 3.
And all borders should get blocked off.

And I'm in Barnard Castle, in tier 2 due to being in County Durham. Of far more impact to us was Cummings coming here. Many weekends in town have been reminiscent of bank Holidays in terms of visitors. So we've stayed at home a lot to distance from this high number of visitors from who knows where.

Cummings has a lit to answer for....

A functioning test, track, trace and isolate system. As I - and others - said back in... oooohhhh... March.

Meanwhile, Spaffer has spunked £20 billion of public money to his mates in private industry.

Be careful who you vote for.

Sunak finally bounced into some support for businesses and jobs - still not enough (and coincidentally to go alongside London being in Tier 2, sod the north etc).

Pretty mad though - as you say Notty, the tory party's attempt to blame everyone else (including a bizarre attack on Sadiq Khan on TfL with absolutely no basis in anything close to fact) continues but they can't even line up themselves. Chancellor decided he doesn't want to spend any more money at the same time the govt keeps locking things down with a huge impact on jobs and businesses. Be nice if we could follow what most of the developed world is doing and have proper economic support for people.

Pretty staggering that no.10 and the chancellor still pursuing different strategies when the only reason Sunak got the job in the first place was that he was going to kowtow to Boris...

Here's your control sample of what happens with little / no controls over mask wearing and social distancing and a federal government that actively tries to downplay the virus' lethality;

US covid graphs
dfad810add4be8643c164cfcd249a7a7785d4d2f_2_1303x750.jpeg

you could be right . Depends what you mean by stricter.

Do what Wales is about to do.
Theoretically if everyone stayed put and met no one for 3 weeks, the virus would die out entirely.
Obviously impossible to do, but what can be done is aim to get as many people as possible to meet as few as people as possible and then virus can be significantly diminished.
That seems to be what Wales is now doing.
Effects of it will be known sometime later in November. Problem is though if one area does something and neighbouring areas don't do similar.
Anyway, let's hope all the various measures coming in around the country do have some effect.

Theoretically if everyone stayed put and met no one for 3 weeks, the virus would die out entirely.
Obviously impossible to do, but what can be done is aim to get as many people as possible to meet as few as people as possible and then virus can be significantly diminished.
Effects of it will be known sometime later in November. Problem is though if one area does something and neighbouring areas don't do similar.
Anyway, let's hope all the various measures coming in around the country do have some effect.

Who knows what the answers are . One thing is certain, I ain't going to end the last few years in my life being told what to do by a jumped up twat in London

Last edited:
Wales approach is absurd.

Why shut down large swathes of the country when the impact of the virus is amongst the lowest in the UK, and f*cks up the economy, again, big time. Keep and adjust the restrictions in the densely populated south and north east with the highest rates, let the rest of the country function. people may move, may misunderstand or maliciously break the rules, but thats at the margins

Meanwhile, Scotland introduce a system guaranteed to flummox even the most educted Chief Constable.

I hold no candle for Johnson, who is only marginally more suitable to be PM than the idiot Labour put up last December, but on this his government are getting it relatively right. It may not look it, it may seem chaotic as new areas are brought into the higher tiers on almost an daily basis, but severe restrictions in areas like Cornwall where infection rates are relatively low makes no sense.

Curfew now imposed in Wallonia region of Belgium.

Of course Belgium hasn't had any effective government for the best part of 18 months now. It's actually arguable whether the lack of any effective government has had a worse impact than our own during this crisis?
https://think.ing.com/articles/belgium-the-political-crisis-is-not-over-yet/

There's a statement for the future:
A country without any effective government didn't do significantly worse than our current one in handling the epidemic, what a damning indictment on our current governments shambolic effort...