Can we watch Gills in the pub? | Vital Football

Can we watch Gills in the pub?

daveycrocket

Vital Squad Member
Does anyone know? Gillngham Cricketers for example which is usually pretty full on matchdays with Gills fans.

Interesting point. I wondervqhether i follow have considered a pub licence to allow pubs to show it.

Everyone wins. Open the factory?

The information on this comes up sometimes during the stats they have looping during half-time. It says that it's for private and personal viewing only and must not be shown in commercial premises (for example pubs).

Maybe gills should go proactive and ask them about a cost to show it in the factory. Make a few quid on food and beer along the way.

I could only see that working if we were also allowed to charge people to get in (with ST holders in for free). Otherwise I guess it could end up costing us money. If you don't charge for people to get in, every non-ST holder that goes in there is potentially someone not paying a tenner (most of which goes to the club) to watch on iFollow (obviously they'd then spend something on drinks while in there, but potentially not enough to cover the lost money from iFollow). Then you'd have some ST holders moaning that a free code to watch home matches on iFollow is no longer any kind of compensation for their lost ST since everyone's allowed in there for free anyway.

They won’t be allowed to as iFollow is for home use only as mentioned above.

They would need a commercial licence like pubs do for sky games. Imagine if they offered to pay £1000 a game to broadcast it in the factory it might be considered.

Not sure how many beers you need to sell to make a profit but surely anything is worth exploring.

I could only see that working if we were also allowed to charge people to get in (with ST holders in for free). Otherwise I guess it could end up costing us money. If you don't charge for people to get in, every non-ST holder that goes in there is potentially someone not paying a tenner (most of which goes to the club) to watch on iFollow (obviously they'd then spend something on drinks while in there, but potentially not enough to cover the lost money from iFollow). Then you'd have some ST holders moaning that a free code to watch home matches on iFollow is no longer any kind of compensation for their lost ST since everyone's allowed in there for free anyway.

£10 charge first beer free.

Correct. If clubs aren’t allowed to admit a reduced, socially distanced number of fans in an open air stadium. I see no way they will be allowed to welcome them into a bar area to watch. Especially throwing alcohol into the equation.
Given some of the rules make no sense at all.Why not have 4 or 5 thousand packed into the factory watching games.After all players are able to jump all over one another. I can work without a mask .But fewer people in a larger shop have to wear masks .Our government sent recovering Coronavirus patients into care homes where the most vulnerable people were .Carers were unable to get PPE when the government destroyed tens millions of pounds worth as they had kept it beyond its sell by date.I can go to the pub and get pissed but can't meet up with neighbouring residents outside my house.

Given some of the rules make no sense at all.Why not have 4 or 5 thousand packed into the factory watching games.After all players are able to jump all over one another. I can work without a mask .But fewer people in a larger shop have to wear masks .Our government sent recovering Coronavirus patients into care homes where the most vulnerable people were .Carers were unable to get PPE when the government destroyed tens millions of pounds worth as they had kept it beyond its sell by date.I can go to the pub and get pissed but can't meet up with neighbouring residents outside my house.
I get what you’re saying Chris. And I agree, the government rules are laughably inconsistent, unenforceable, hypocritical, whatever else you wanna add.

My original statement stands though. I do not see fans being able to gather together (legally) in an enclosed building that sells alcohol, before being allowed back in open air grounds with restricted numbers.

Just my view mind.

I get what you’re saying Chris. And I agree, the government rules are laughably inconsistent, unenforceable, hypocritical, whatever else you wanna add.

My original statement stands though. I do not see fans being able to gather together (legally) in an enclosed building that sells alcohol, before being allowed back in open air grounds with restricted numbers.

Just my view mind.
I was being sarcastic about the thousands in the factory.But it seems that if you had a area like the millennium dome you could have a few thousand attend to watch a match on a screen. But the numbers would not be allowed at a live match.

Why is the factory any different to a pub ?

It is NO different mark, I agree.

I just cant see the rules changing, that’s all, don’t shoot the messenger.

When pubs reopened after lockdown I recall they were advised to have no TVs or music on. This was just a suggestion, not a law. I have no idea if pubs are actually heeding this advice or not. I would assume if they are paying subscription fees they will still be showing it.
The only pub I have been to a few times in the last 6 months has stopped playing music but doesn’t have TVs anyway.

On a side note, how can the London palladium host a socially distanced “Q and A evening with Arsene Wenger” indoors the other week, but again, we can’t go in an open air stadium for 90 minutes, mid afternoon? It’s barmy.

Just my view mind.

Not shooting the messenger as its the crazy make it up as you go along government thats at fault - substantial meals ffs !!!!!

However, non league clubs are allowed to stream games in their clubhouses that sell alcohol. They just have to close the blinds in case someone dares look out the window to watch the game live rather than onthe TV screens!!!!!

That's how much of a mess this lot have got themselves into.

Please remember back to 2020 when stood at the ballot box in a few years time.

Last edited:
My Uncle is a Norwich STH and says that they’re beaming away matches back to barrow road and have been getting a few hundred in to watch it. That’s outside though - not sure if the bars in the ground are open?