ifollow / ST query | Page 3 | Vital Football

ifollow / ST query

Trashbat - never been in the shop, yet such an expert! Come on.

If you are familiar with general retail then you can make reasonable guess and estimates without needing to go into a specific store. I don't have any experience in that side of retail to know if Trashbat is on the ball or not, but dismissing the numbers based upon not going into the store seems unreasonable.

All this talk about how unprofitable the club shop is, is quite funny. The club accountants will be working very hard every year to show exactly that!

I am 50% likely to lose my job, as is my wife, before xmas so every penny counts.

The difference between our income and outogings is only about £1000 a year each so i have to be careful with money.

I support the club but home comes first.

And every sympathy as to your current financial situation.

The problem is up until now you have made it sound as if you wanted a refund because Scally didn't personally phone you up to offer you the chance of a refund.

Stupid question, but are you confusing the matchday video with the standard radio commentary season ticket package? The audio season ticket is £45. This tends to automatically renew.

Would make sense. Especially since the iFollow service is a tenner a match, and we've only played 3 home games that are supposed to be free to season ticket holders, so it's hard to see how it could have cost Gills61 £45.

I have a 2 year season ticket so have been given codes for our home matches. When we played Blackpool at home I think I f—cked up and was charged £10 for this game when I had a code to use. Well I emailed ifollow explaining that I had been charged £10 for this match when I had a season ticket code. I had an email reply straight away explaining that they would get back to me. They finally did after a long wait asking for my code for that match and would look into this issue for me . Well this morning I had a reply saying they were sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and will be reimbursing me my £10 . I was surprised , I had given up the ghost but to be fair to Ifollow they’ve been true to their word just very slow that’s all.

Trashbat - never been in the shop, yet such an expert! Come on.

Not an expert by any means and never professed to be one. But I am familiar with retail sector P&L and I have been in a shop. And, by my own admission, it was a ‘back of a fag packet’ calculation.

I’ve shown all my workings and responded to the fair challenges from AK

If there is any doubt about the mark-up on sportswear, refer to page 62 for sports direct annual accounts which shows that gross margin is in region of 40%. That, again, is consistent with my back-of-a-fag packet calcs,

https://www.sportsdirectplc.com/~/media/Files/S/Sports-Direct/annual-report/annual-report-2018.pdf

Point still stands. I can’t see how the club shop turns much of a profit, if any. And that is why I suspect Scally has taken the decision to move to stalls on match days only.

Happy to be proven wrong. I’ll hold my hands up if anyone can show me if I’ve made any mistake.

There must be retailers or accountants on here with retail experience who can back-up or dismiss the calcs. Where’s Wayne when you need him?

Last edited:
Not an expert by any means and never processed to be one. But I am familiar with retail sector P&L and I have been in a shop. And, by my own admission, it was a ‘back of a fag packet’ calculation.

If there is any doubt about the mark-up on sportswear, refer to page 62 for sports direct annual accounts which shows that gross margin is in region of 40%. That, again, is consistent with my back-of-a-fag packet calcs,

https://www.sportsdirectplc.com/~/media/Files/S/Sports-Direct/annual-report/annual-report-2018.pdf

Point still stands. I can’t see how the club shop turns much of a profit, if any. And that is why I suspect Scally has taken the decision to move to stalls on match days only.

Happy to be proven wrong. I’ll hold my hands up if anyone can show me if I’ve made any mistake.

There must be retailers or accountants on here with retail experience who can back-up or dismiss the calcs. Where’s Wayne when you need him?

Wayne is busy doing PS's accounts, and has been doing them for the past 25 years 🙂

Not an expert by any means and never professed to be one. But I am familiar with retail sector P&L and I have been in a shop. And, by my own admission, it was a ‘back of a fag packet’ calculation.

I was in retail for many years and I do believe that you are right .I can't see anyway the club shop turns a profit even if they make massive mark ups .Which they probably do .The cost of staffing and other overheads would soon make that zero.

Did the club shop used to be open Monday to Friday 9-5? I can’t imagine anyone would have gone in there unless perhaps before a Tuesday night fixture? I have been in a few times after Saturday games when it seems busy, though usually just to shelter from rain/cold and have a quick browse, never actually bought anything in there!
Seems sensible to me to only open on matchdays once fans can go to games.
There is a small shop in the family enclosure of Medway Stand now, offering shirts and some other merchandise, but I don’t think they sell much - the food kiosk next to it though always has massive queues at half time which can cause you to miss the start of 2nd half if you don’t go sharply when 1st half ends.

Did the club shop used to be open Monday to Friday 9-5? I can’t imagine anyone would have gone in there unless perhaps before a Tuesday night fixture?

From hearsay, during the week the club shop would normally be covered by the ticket office people who'd move between the shop and ticket window depending on how many people turned up. I have read that during the week it is not unusual for the main door to be shut with people entering via the entrance to where the tickets are sold. This information could be a few years out of date.

Did the club shop used to be open Monday to Friday 9-5? I can’t imagine anyone would have gone in there unless perhaps before a Tuesday night fixture? I have been in a few times after Saturday games when it seems busy, though usually just to shelter from rain/cold and have a quick browse, never actually bought anything in there!
Seems sensible to me to only open on matchdays once fans can go to games.
There is a small shop in the family enclosure of Medway Stand now, offering shirts and some other merchandise, but I don’t think they sell much - the food kiosk next to it though always has massive queues at half time which can cause you to miss the start of 2nd half if you don’t go sharply when 1st half ends.

Autumn two years back, I was over in the UK and went in there a couple of times on weekdays. One on the till and one in and out of the place. Saw one other customer -also over from the US! Spent forty quid on a bag one time and five quid on something for a grandkid the other. Nice time, but pretty quiet. Match days were another matter, entirely.

After getting no response from e-mail or twitter i have had to send the club a signed for letter. Poor.

Iirc WX bought a 2 year ticket Lark. So a more suitable question would be “ Are you hoping for a refund for last season, this season or next seasons ticket. Or any permutation of the three........”
Were they selling 2 year season tickets back in Jan/Feb before Covid struck then?
Hopefully all being well with the vaccine apparently due in early part of next year, then next season should be safe to go ahead as normal.