New Proposals | Page 4 | Vital Football

New Proposals

Agree Bromley, the problem is these proposals put forward by the 'big cheeses' are to look after their interests whilst pretending to give a shit about the EFL. The EFL cup to them is like the paintpot trophy to us, unwanted games they'd rather not have to deal with.

Rather ironic that in 'helping' the EFL clubs out financially they want to take away one of the two potential money spinner opportunities smaller clubs get each season of a cup run.

Financial package being prepared for clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 but not the Championship yet.
Seems to consist of grants and interest free loans which makes you wonder how we will be able to pay them back?

Last edited:
Financial package being prepared for clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 but not the Championship yet.
Seems to consist of grants and interest free loans which makes you wonder how we will be able to pay them back?

BBC saying £50m bailout agreed for L1 & L2, be interesting to know how that's divided up.

I always liked the idea of one playoff place reserved for a struggler in the higher division. Just imagine the agony of trying to battle you way to safety up the league table and then having to endure the humiliation, intimidation and, let's face it, outright violence of playing at least twice against a team of lower league kamikazes.

That's how we encountered Sunderland, I believe.

Whatever the motivation of the two clubs who proposed the changes, at least it has got the premier league looking at the real problems within football and a dialogue looks like it will take place.

There does seem to be a recognition that there is a need to distribute the wealth across the leagues and this will hopefully safeguard the future of all lower league clubs and, in particular, ours.

So whilst the motives might be questionable, at least it might be a catalyst to finding a solution that is long overdue.

I always liked the idea of one playoff place reserved for a struggler in the higher division. Just imagine the agony of trying to battle you way to safety up the league table and then having to endure the humiliation, intimidation and, let's face it, outright violence of playing at least twice against a team of lower league kamikazes.

That's how we encountered Sunderland, I believe.

Yep I agree it seems fair to let the challenger from the league below to slug it out with the team fighting to stay in the higher league.

Yep I agree it seems fair to let the challenger from the league below to slug it out with the team fighting to stay in the higher league.

That is how it used to be when in 1987 we beat Sunderland over two legs to relegate them. We went on to lose in the final to Swindon after three games.

BBC saying £50m bailout agreed for L1 & L2, be interesting to know how that's divided up.
It's being reported that it's divided between Leagues 1 and 2 in the same proportion as the existing solidarity payments, which would mean 13/20ths going to League One, or £32.5m.

I assume that's equally to all clubs, which would be £1.35m each.

The last time I saw any GFC accounts the annual turnover was around £5.5m. I'm not sure how much of that is match day income, but presumably well over half. So, £1m or so is material but presumably nowhere near enough to cover any shortfall over a full season. Maybe it's enough if stadiums open next year?

What percentage will be grants & what percentage will be loans.
Loans have to be paid back, so although being a life saver to some clubs in the short term, what damage will it cause long term. Not so generous as it first seems!

You need to ask yourself one thing: when have the big clubs ever, even once, come up with an idea that wasn't designed to pull up the ladder and fuck over everybody else?

Once you've figured that out, you'll have rough idea where this is going.

NIce football club you've got there. Wouldn't want anything to happen to it. Here's some quick money now while you don't worry your pretty little head about the rest of the things we're up to.

I'm going to "like" your previous post. It is complete bollocks, but it is cool to hate premiership teams and I want in

Lol. AB asked for an example (in a pretty arrogant fashion), got one good one within 7 minutes, and then brilliantly arrogantly ignored it. brilliant.

It does seem to be popular to hate prem teams. Literally everything they do, certain people are desperate to look for the worst in it. Or then moan 'it's not enough'. I think some should be thankful they are keen to help L1 and L2 clubs - rather than insulting them further. I think they have a very good point witholding any help to championship clubs given their very rich owners, but it's clear that they realise L1 and L2 are not in such a position. Their help is gratefully received from me.

Mandatory sell-on fees ?
To (say) Age 25 ?

Surely sell-on fees as standard would be a better way of incentivising smaller clubs than relying on hand-outs from the PL ?

The principal could be compared to:
- retaining a Share in a start-up company
- Patenting an invention
- Licensing use

Microsoft started in Bill Gates' garage. How much is one of its original shares worth now ?
Microsoft made its m/billions by Patenting and licensing its Operating System to be paid by future Users.

Sell-on fees may not be the immediate answer to the financial hole....
.... but it might dampen any support for more monopolising and anti-competitive ideas from the Big Six.

One doesn't need to be a PREM hater to know where the power lies and just how little leverage we have. I'm not floating a conspiracy theory but consider what might happen after loans & grants have kept the wolf from the door. The next discussion would start with us as indebted supplicants and the pressure to agree to reorganisation would be irresistible. The threat would be unspoken