Greedy big PL bastards at it again | Page 3 | Vital Football

Greedy big PL bastards at it again

The Football League have absolutely no say in the matter; if the PL vote for a closed shop, that is exactly what will happen.

The only things stopping that is the adverse publicity and, ironically, the Government who are threatening to impose regulation.

I don't just mean the EFL - the clubs in the premier league outside the magic circle, for a start. Good to see Leicester opposed both this plan and the £15 charge to watch a PL game live on TV.

But all football fans can make their voice heard.

I wouldn't pay for Sky packages, and I'd leave it up to anyone else's conscience whether they do.

I'm happy to have the choice of paying a tenner to watch on Now TV if ifollow isn't an option for that match. But this proposal comes from a few rich PL clubs, not from Sky

Hypothetical question for you. If the premier league said to us " You have won the European Cup twice and for cosmetic reasons we are giving you a bye so you can join us. Would you take it?

The answer has to be no because these new proposals undermine the integrity of competition in a systems already very unlevel.

The Football League have absolutely no say in the matter; if the PL vote for a closed shop, that is exactly what will happen.

The only things stopping that is the adverse publicity and, ironically, the Government who are threatening to impose regulation.

It would be a huge risk for them imo. They dont need fans for their money, they need us for authenticity imo. A closed shop would see the efl break away, just dont see how it is possible. The PL has all the money but they dont have a monopoly on football, even if they think they do. A hollow sabre rattle just for leverage.

It would be a huge risk for them imo. They dont need fans for their money, they need us for authenticity imo. A closed shop would see the efl break away, just dont see how it is possible. The PL has all the money but they dont have a monopoly on football, even if they think they do. A hollow sabre rattle just for leverage.

They absolutely do need fans for their money; they need them now and will need them even more so when Covid is over.

The whole shooting match is funded by Sky and BT - The PL and the CL are just as dependent on TV subscribers as a junkie is dependent on his scag.

The very people who complain about PL greed are the ones who fund it, but are too fucking selfish to do anything about it.

They know damn well that if, by some freak of nature, we make it to the promised land, they will want to get their greedy noses in the trough, and it will then be "fuck everyone else" because we are doing alright.

And all of this faux outrage will disappear over night.

If all of this is about England winning a World Cup, I'm not bothered about England winning a World Cup because we're fucking wank and we have no chance.

Yes. We managed to make it to the Semis by getting an easy draw.

We didn't really look better than Belgium the other day and if anyone watched the France - Portugal match, you could easily see that both of those times would have given us an almighty dicking and there's no reduction in the size of the PL that's ever going to change that.

It has nothing to do with England's chances at the World Cup or any other event; it is about ring fencing the interests of the elite Clubs.

Do you honestly think that John Henry or the Glazers give a fuck about the National teams interests?

Jonathon Liew summed things up in his column in todays Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-you-will-be-looked-after-and-know-your-place

"You can exist in dignity and comfort. But you will also know your place. It is the equivalent of giving a drowning man a lifejacket in exchange for his right to vote."

And dont you just know what happens next?

The Clubs in L 1 and L2 who are desperate for the money will be left hanging while Liverpool and United spend time coming up with the next iteration of their power grab.

If all of this is about England winning a World Cup, I'm not bothered about England winning a World Cup because we're fucking wank and we have no chance.

Yes. We managed to make it to the Semis by getting an easy draw.

We didn't really look better than Belgium the other day and if anyone watched the France - Portugal match, you could easily see that both of those times would have given us an almighty dicking and there's no reduction in the size of the PL that's ever going to change that.
Indeed

And reducing the number of makeweights in the PL with which to nurture new English talent is going to help because.....

They want to do more pre season and Christmas tours if China.

The guardian article makes the very salient point that there is absolutely nothing to stop the big six changing the financial deal at any point they choose. Wait for them to find the next thing that they can couch as holding back the England team and then use as a pretext.

I hadn't realised that the big six would be able to veto a new owner as well. What on earth is the possible benefit of that to the game, other than to them?

And dont you just know what happens next?

The Clubs in L 1 and L2 who are desperate for the money will be left hanging while Liverpool and United spend time coming up with the next iteration of their power grab.
One of the clubs is already talking about B teams again

Cancel those Sky subscriptions because there is no other way of stopping this happening; either that or you will have blood on your hands when we have a franchise system in 5 years time.

Cancel those Sky subscriptions because there is no other way of stopping this happening; either that or you will have blood on your hands when we have a franchise system in 5 years time.
Easy to say when you have the means and wherewithal to watch near enough every match illegally or semi legally

Easy to say when you have the means and wherewithal to watch near enough every match illegally or semi legally

Having the means does not necessarily mean you have to use them.

I have tended to find that watching more sport does not equate to watching better sport, and have cut down what I watch accordingly.

I could quite easily sit and read all day, but that would certainly not suit everyone; people need their TV fix and I can fully understand that.

What I cannot understand is how people knowingly fund the divisions in the game but then complain about the gulf between the have's and the have not's.

The contradiction of paying £50/£75/£100 per month for a Sports package, which ultimately makes the rich richer, while simultaneously complaining about the owners of the Club they support, for not spending money they do not have, in an attempt to reach the promised land, appears lost on the majority.

But, there has always been something about football which makes people behave in an illogical manner.