Team V Oxford | Page 7 | Vital Football

Team V Oxford

We're missing a leader on the pitch at the moment. I noticed after Oxford missed yet another chance there was no talking, no cajoling they just carried on. Missing the fans too, we could have got behind them today when first half particularly was getting tough

Well done Gills, read a report from the Oxford Mail who said Oxford were complaining about having to change in "makeshift conditions under the main stand" anyone shed any light on this?

Yes, heard Lloydie and Watts mention this on Radio Kent before the much - apparently due to new Covid restrictions, teams can't share corridors and enclosed spaces hence why they have moved to a temp changing room away from us. I noticed at the Shrews game last week, we came on to the pitch about a minute before them and thought that was strange - guess this explains that too.

We're missing a leader on the pitch at the moment. I noticed after Oxford missed yet another chance there was no talking, no cajoling they just carried on. Missing the fans too, we could have got behind them today when first half particularly was getting tough

Agree with that too. This was highlighted last week v Shrewsbury. The circumstances which lead to the first goal were a disgrace and no one on the pitch at least seemed to react to Ogilvie being taken out, which lead to the goal. I'm sure had an old head been in the team and been in the ref's ear, his whistle would have gone for one of the tugs and pushes that took place from the corner before the weak goal had a chance to go in.

But only 7 on target compared to our 6
Yes. Terrible finishing as I said. Missed 2 absolute sitters. Had a laugh when their bloke missed the header from 6 yards out, managed to head it down so it bounced over the bar.

Agree with this. The chance 58 mentioned was a glaring miss. On target would surely have been 2-2. Bonham was safe, yet unspectacular- did everything he had to, comfortably. One of their guys (raffles/ruffles?) put 2 free headers straight at him. Contrast that to their keeper who made 2 one handed worldies. All in all an enjoyable watch.

Is that a parody? (first couple of sentences). Rest of analysis pretty good as usual.

Oxford's finishing was woeful. I reckon if my son and I had played up front for Oxford we would have at least tested Bonham more. Oxford can blame their forward line for not winning this game which could have finished about 5 8.

Excellent play for our goals. Need shoring up our midfield and opponents left unmarked far too often in our penalty area.

Absolutely not complaining. Delighted with our progress.

UTG

I agree with that 58

I’ve got two f’kd knees and I am having an ankle op on Friday but still reckon I would have got a hat trick for Oxford today 😉

The only negatives for me, and they're all churlish, are iFollow crashing after half-time, the annoying fake crowd noises and the players still acting like sheep and continuing the tired and meaningless virtue signalling knee bend gesture. In respect of the latter, I genuinely would be interested to see if they continue to do this when crowds are in and what reaction they'd get from said crowds...
The thing is how do they stop? the first team that doesn't take the knee will face a backlash, and what about the black players in that team how will they feel about it, could cause divisions in the team.

At one point in the first half the only action was Oxford chances, a lot of which were blocked. How they didn't score first half I'll never know. Let's not kid ourselves

Didn`t expect to beat Oxford, they are a class side and will be in the promotion mix for sure. But, even without Dempsey & Roberston, who we have been missing greatly, this young Gills team managed to do the right things when it counted most.

Despite some poor finishing from Oxford, I thought our back line played really well in terms of getting their blocks in and being able to disrupt players who, given an extra half-second, are very dangerous. Medley was good again and he and Tucker, who was really effective at blocking/deflecting shots are a very good pairing. Commentator Lloyd seems to have a downer on Medley for some reason - calling him out for poor distribution but seeming overlooking some of his pin-point passing - wasn`t it a fine long range pass from Medley that set up our third goal ?

Drysdale blocked a certain goal too and Bonham had a good game. Fine battling display from our D men.

My MOM was Jacob Mellis - what a great come-back after a poor showing at Shrewsbury. Thought he was superb today and was very pleased for him when he scored his goal. Jordan Graham`s crossing repertoire is amazing. It must be rewarding for SE & PR to see their vision of balls successfully & purposefully zipped into toward our central attackers coming to productive fruition.

Well done Gills, three more points and another confidence boost.

The thing is how do they stop? the first team that doesn't take the knee will face a backlash, and what about the black players in that team how will they feel about it, could cause divisions in the team.

Quite easy, just stop doing it. The England cricket team and their opponents for the summer in Pakistan, Ireland and Australia decided that it had served its purpose (whatever that was) after the West Indies series and no one really batted an eyelid. It seems like a ritual and routine now just done by habit and for the sake of it. What is it achieving other than most people just thinking “here we go again”. What’s most galling for me is that we’ve seen several terrorists attacks in recent times with completely INNOCENT people stabbed to death, and just a fortnight ago we saw a brave INNOCENT police officer brutally shot, and none of these tragedies warranted one minutes silence or gesture at our matches, yet we are seeing every single game a gesture which is for all
intents and purpose a tribute to a career criminal killed (and don’t get me wrong, it was brutal and completely wrong) in the process of committing yet another crime. We live in a warped world.

Quite easy, just stop doing it. The England cricket team and their opponents for the summer in Pakistan, Ireland and Australia decided that it had served its purpose (whatever that was) after the West Indies series and no one really batted an eyelid. It seems like a ritual and routine now just done by habit and for the sake of it. What is it achieving other than most people just thinking “here we go again”. What’s most galling for me is that we’ve seen several terrorists attacks in recent times with completely INNOCENT people stabbed to death, and just a fortnight ago we saw a brave INNOCENT police officer brutally shot, and none of these tragedies warranted one minutes silence or gesture at our matches, yet we are seeing every single game a gesture which is for all
intents and purpose a tribute to a career criminal killed (and don’t get me wrong, it was brutal and completely wrong) in the process of committing yet another crime. We live in a warped world.
You will no doubt be surprised to find that (as a classic liberal meusli munching leftie) I agree with you ST. Frankly, I find it embarrassing now. Vacuous.

Heard Deon Dublin say on BBC that he is fed up with gestures. As a one off, perhaps ok. Now toe curling. Would also equate this with clapping the NHS. Nice gesture but no replacement for actual action.

Good to hear we won well despite the possession stats.

Re: kneeling - yeah it has the threat of becoming a chore like clap for heroes. Attention does still need to be made to the cause though. Whataboutery can fuck off.

Have now seen their goal which iFollow missed on Sky.
Ball was crossed in and headed up high in the area by one of their players.
Medley decided to try and shield the dropping ball to allow Bonham to come and collect it, rather than heading or clearing it. As it dropped down their player nipped in between Bonham and Medley and toed it past the keeper. Really poor goal.

In the grand scheme though it didn't matter too much, just shows there's still work to be done in the central defence area which looked shaky at times today.

Medley decided to try and shield the dropping ball to allow Bonham to come and collect it, rather than heading or clearing it. As it dropped down their player nipped in between Bonham and Medley and toed it past the keeper. Really poor goal.

In the grand scheme though it didn't matter too much, just shows there's still work to be done in the central defence area which looked shaky at times today.
They are a couple of babies in footballing terms.
Maybe a bit of slack mate.
Same with the midfield pair.
Nnnnner 19

They are a couple of babies in footballing terms.
Maybe a bit of slack mate.
Same with the midfield pair.
Nnnnner 19
I was just describing the goal as most won't have seen it yet I assume.
iFollow stopped working for first 5 mins of 2nd half.
Just interesting that for all Oxford's good passing play and chances created, the only goal they scored was a bad defensive error.

Looked to me like Bonham called and came to collect it but misjudged it. Medley, on hearing the call from Bonham, tried to shield the ball.

Maybe a more experienced defender would have put their laces through it and ignored the call.

Looked to me like Bonham called and came to collect it but misjudged it. Medley, on hearing the call from Bonham, tried to shield the ball.

Maybe a more experienced defender would have put their laces through it and ignored the call.
Still down to Bonham if he called.He had a good game otherwise.Something to work on in training given the changes and the loss of some of our best midfielders we have again shown great resilience defending.